• Hey, Jets Fans…

Posted by on January 23rd, 2011 · Comments (15)

…do me a favor and win it before you start acting like you’ve already won it, OK?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan, either way. I grew up a football Giants fan. But, today, I could barely name five players on the team and can’t remember the last time I watched a Giants game on TV. So, this is not a Giants fan complaining. The Jets? I’m not rooting for them or against them – because I have no interest in them, really.

But, good heavens, over the last week or so, listening to Jets fans has been…well…let’s just say it’s been an earful of cocky, and then some.

Perhaps it’s better to actually win the thing before you put yourself into a coma with the chest-thumping, eh?

Comments on Hey, Jets Fans…

1. January 23rd, 2011 | 11:19 am

It’s funny you should say that, Steve, because most of the diehard Jets fans I know — including Jon, my Subway Squawkers writing partner — are on pins and needles, and I’m not really hearing the trash talk.

I’ve been telling Jon since October that the Jets would win the Super Bowl, and I predicted before the Patriots game that the Jets would win it. Jon sez my confidence is due to me being a Yankee fan, and not really being a Jet fan!

2. butchie22
      January 23rd, 2011 | 11:29 am

I love the Jets’ bravado even though I’m a Giants fan. It’s rather fun actually. People have been analogizing this to the Yankee-Mets rivalry but it’s a bit different. The NY Mess fans talking smack is comical BECAUSE they never back it up…BUT The Jets? They’ve made the playoffs a few more times than Los Mets in the recent past ,no? Actually,I’ve been sick of “Mike Know It All” Francesa’s anti-Jets attitude really, though he’s tempered it a tiny bit lately. It would be absolutely great to see another New Jersey team like The Devils start another dynasty…;)

January 23rd, 2011 | 11:40 am

Can’t blame Jets fans for being excited.

4. January 23rd, 2011 | 11:48 am

I am rooting for the Jets. That said, where did all these Jet fans come from all of a sudden. It reminds me of 1978 a little, I spent times up at the Stadium in the early 70′s when there would be 15,000 there for a Sunday game. All of a sudden with the Yankees playing Boston in a one game showdown everyone is a Yankee fan. Once the Mets got it going in the mid 80′s and the Yanks were no longer winning anything, guess what, not so many Yankee fans around anymore. We’ll see how many real Jet fans there are a year or two from now.

The Jets could definitely win today and win two weeks from today in Dallas. I’m picking the Jets 24-13 and Chicago 17-13. Should be a hell of an afternoon/evening.

5. LMJ229
      January 23rd, 2011 | 12:15 pm

The Jets and their fans are merely mirroring their brash head coach. Personanally, I’d rather have my team do their talking on the field. I find that teams who constantly sing their own praises have usually accomplished nothing compared to the teams who go about their business in a more professional, reserved manner.

But I don’t blame the fans for being excited and confident as long as they are not totally obnoxious. Joseph Maloney is right. It is not unusual to see fans of a successful team coming out of the woodwork during a successful year.

6. 77yankees
      January 23rd, 2011 | 12:52 pm

It doesn’t matter who wins or loses…….

As long as the Cowboys have to see someone else play in the Super Bowl in their own stadium. :-)

7. Evan3457
      January 23rd, 2011 | 3:16 pm

77yankees wrote:

It doesn’t matter who wins or loses…….

Can’t not like that.

8. Evan3457
      January 23rd, 2011 | 3:19 pm

I can’t really blame them. Most of them can’t remember Super Bowl III, so they’re not familiar with what it’s like to get to a Super Bowl.

Besides, lots of fans of downtrodden teams act this way when they get this far. Nothing unique about the Jet fans here.

What is different is that those fans don’t do it in NY papers and NY media outlets; they’re not in New York City. You’re just seeing what happens in places like New Orleans, Atlanta, Seattle, Carolina, Jacksonville, Cleveland, etc., when their teams get close to the Golden Prize.

9. Evan3457
      January 23rd, 2011 | 9:57 pm

Wah-wah, wah-wah!

10. January 23rd, 2011 | 10:21 pm

In the end, the ’10 Jets pulled an ’03 Yankees. Got too high over beating the team from Massachusetts and forgot that there were more games to win, to win it all.

11. LMJ229
      January 23rd, 2011 | 10:51 pm

So much for those trash talking Jets ….

12. MJ Recanati
      January 24th, 2011 | 9:42 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I’m not sure that’s why the 2003 Yankees lost.

13. January 24th, 2011 | 10:46 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      I agree. I don’t really see that much of an equivalent here. There was no David Wells not revealing that his back was giving him fits; no Joe Torre pitching Jeff Weaver for two innings and leaving Mariano Rivera on the bench.

14. 77yankees
      January 24th, 2011 | 8:56 pm

Pretty much agree with MJ & Lisa on that. They were up two games to one with momentum of a 9th inning comeback in Game Four before Jeff Weaver was foisted upon us.

But I will say this: There have probably been 75-100 post season games at Yankee Stadium in my lifetime, and that Game One against the Marlins 48 hours after the Aaron Boone HR was probably the most lifeless I ever heard the place for a post season game from the outset.

At least that’s the way it came across watching it on TV. If anyone was there for that Game One against the Marlins, feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

January 24th, 2011 | 9:07 pm

77yankees wrote:

I was there, it was very quiet. Not what I expected from my first world series game.

Then again, there really wasn’t much to cheer that game.