• Brian Cashman, Wannabe Celebrity

Posted by on January 27th, 2011 · Comments (59)

That’s Brian Cashman tending bar last night at Foley’s, wearing the same bandana-and-spiked-hair wig that he wore when he rappelled down a building in Stamford, Connecticut, last Christmas.

Enough with the “look at me” photo-ops, huh, Cash?

I know, I know, it’s for charity. Then again, remember what Big Stein always used to say? It was: “If you do something for someone and more than two people know about it, meaning you and that person, then you did it for the wrong reason.”

Word, Boss. Word.

At this point, I would much rather have someone who is “no name” – but a real and qualified “baseball person” – someone trying to make his bones as a hard working GM, running the Yankees. Someone who just wants to do his job, and well, with no fanfare or excuses, rather than someone who is running around town in a wig speaking at pancake breakfasts, jumping off buildings, tending bar – and getting his picture on TV and in the papers.

Gabe Paul and Stick Michael just did their job without using it as a platform to attain celebrity status. Cashman should follow that example instead of trying to be like Billy Beane, Theo Epstein and Kenny Williams – making a “name” for himself for doing things outside of the office. Guys like John Schuerholz and Pat Gillick did it right. Cashman’s inflated sense of self-importance and need for admiration is getting old in a hurry here. I just hope the Yankees put an end to it – and soon.

Comments on Brian Cashman, Wannabe Celebrity

1. LMJ229
      January 28th, 2011 | 12:46 am

I found this article on Brian Cashman very interesting. It is outdated but I just thought I’d throw it out there for the sake of conversation.

2. MJ Recanati
      January 28th, 2011 | 7:01 am

Raf wrote:

Chili Davis smacking his SO around

I don’t remember that one. Probably for the better!

Raf wrote:

I always thought that if I were to have one, I’d be dating college bunnies and driving fast cars and having hair implants or something.

I’d be right there with you, minus the hair implants but plus $2000 handmade suits like John Gotti’s. 😀

3. MJ Recanati
      January 28th, 2011 | 7:03 am

Evan3457 wrote:

At this point I invoke Lupica’s Law, a sort of ass-backwards Godwin’s Law (look it up) for sports arguments. (And my own creation, to boot.)

An excellent concept. From now on simply writing “Lupica’s Law” will be the best way to say “agree to disagree, you simpleton jackass!” 😉

4. Evan3457
      January 28th, 2011 | 7:35 am

…and we all bash Joel Sherman from time to time here, but his take on Cashman is the exact opposite of Lupica’s, probably because Cashman is a good source for Sherman on a regular basis…

Which one to believe? Why, whichever one supports your already established position. This is a free country; determine your position, THEN look for supporting facts and arguments.

January 28th, 2011 | 9:31 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

I don’t remember that one. Probably for the better!

Yeah, I’m going to have to retract that one, that happened in the early 2000’s after he was off the team. I got my timelines messed up.

Not that I’m absolving him of what he did or allegedly did, but it’s outside the scope of the topic.

6. January 28th, 2011 | 10:45 am

To some, it may not change minds, but I just read that Cashman’s father-in-law died from prostate cancer, the same cancer the organization he was helping raise money for is fighting against.

I just wonder how would people feel if he decided to run a marathon next. Would that be a noble way of raising money and awareness or would that be just to show off his “celebrity”?

Either way, good was done and Cashman helped support an organization that works with a cause that he feels strongly about. Good for him.

7. bags
      January 28th, 2011 | 12:39 pm

Steve, you post about Brian Cashman all the time. It has been clear for a very long time that you don’t like him as the GM of the Yankees. What’s clear from this post is that you not only don’t like Brian Cashman as the GM of the Yankees. You also simply don’t like Brian Cashman. The guy. Not the GM. Not sure why not. But it is good to know. Makes your other posts make more sense.

8. January 30th, 2011 | 8:36 am

Via Ed Randall’s site today:

Ed Randall’s Fans for the Cure presents its annual Mets Hot Stove Report, as Ed Randall interviews Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson and takes your questions.

Join us at 12th Floor Lounge in the Leon Lowenstein Building on the Lincoln Center Campus of Fordham University (enter on 60th Street) Tuesday evening, February 1st, from 7:00-9:00PM.

Individual Tickets cost $45.00

All proceeds benefit Ed Randall’s Fan’s for the Cure charity to further its lifesaving mission of prostate cancer awareness and education.

Note, this is the same charity that was supported by Foley’s with Cashman. Something tells me that Sandy won’t be wearing a spiked hair wig and posing for pictures in his support of this charity.

January 30th, 2011 | 10:59 am

Doesn’t look like he’ll be bartending, or entering their Hall of Fame either… Alderson isn’t a 12th Floor Lounge regular, nor has he been on the NYC baseball landscape for 10+ years.