• 2,110 Days Later, Stuff Changes

Posted by on January 29th, 2011 · Comments (12)

When I started writing this blog, back in April of 2005 – which was 2,110 days ago, if you haven’t been counting – my life was so much different. My book had just published. I was 42-years old. I had been on my (then) job for six years. My kids were not yet one and three years old. And, there were maybe a handful of other people seriously blogging about the Yankees.

Today, nearly six years after I started writing this blog, things are so much different. I’m now 48-years old. I just started a new job. My kids are soon to be seven and nine years old and involved in so many more things today than when they were babies. There are more Yankees bloggers out there than I care to count. Even the Yankees have changed – the owners, the front office, the players, the ballpark, etc. – from those Yankees teams of the ’70′s, ’80′s, ’90′s and early 2000′s that I loved so much. (More to come on that on a later date.)

And, my “status” in the Yankees (and general baseball) Blogosphere has changed. When I started, and in the first few years that followed, the majority of my “followers” were fans of my work. Today, the majority of those who follow this blog do so because they despise my opinion and want fuel to rip me on Twitter and other blogs. (This doesn’t bother me as much as many may think. It’s the American way. Build someone up and then tear them down. Just about anyone who has achieved a somewhat high profile in the public eye has experienced this to some extent.)

Lastly, in addition to family, work, age, the Yankees, the following of this blog, my personal interests have changed. (This has been snowballing for the past four years or so.) These days, in my “free time,” I am much more interested in learning more about nutrition, fitness and health than I am about writing about the Yankees. In fact, one of my goals is to spend less time playing around on a computer – after all, as a society, we spend way too much time in front of electronic devices – and using what time I am “on-line” more focused on items that are more important than sharing my opinion on Yankees-related matters.

I’m not saying that I’m completely done with all this – or that this blog is shutting down. There are other authors here, since February 2010, besides me. But, while I have shared in the past that it may be time for me to scale down on this operation, at this junction, more than ever, I think it’s time. Times change. Things change. People change. If it didn’t, I’d be wearing bell bottom jeans, sporting a David Cassidy shag hair-style, and rooting for Otto Velez to take Roger Moret downtown right now.

Comments on 2,110 Days Later, Stuff Changes

1. redbug
      January 29th, 2011 | 11:50 am

I ahven’t been counting, Steve, but I’ve sure enjoyed reading every day. I’ve always liked your objectivity, not agreeing w/ all things Yankees. The other blogs are all so predictable. I don’t bother w/ them.

I can understand your interests changing but if you really do scale down I will really miss you.

2. redbug
      January 29th, 2011 | 11:51 am

@ redbug:

I meant to add…I’m really glad to hear you found a new job!

3. Evan3457
      January 29th, 2011 | 12:24 pm

redbug wrote:

@ redbug:
      I meant to add…I’m really glad to hear you found a new job!

This.

What really counts.

And if you have other things that are more important to you (and I’ve said this before) then do them, and don’t worry about this.

January 29th, 2011 | 1:36 pm

You found a new gig? Congratulations, I’ll send you a copy of my resume! :D

January 29th, 2011 | 1:37 pm

Good luck with everything, and whichever path you choose.

6. jerkface
      January 29th, 2011 | 6:22 pm

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

7. jerkface
      January 29th, 2011 | 6:22 pm

Must chill you that Cashman managed to outlast you.

8. January 30th, 2011 | 8:33 am

redbug, Evan, Raf – thanks! That’s all very kind of you to share.

Raf – keep your chin up and keep plugging away. It will happen. The last two times it happened to me, it was unexpected. You never know when something will turn up. Hang in there.

January 30th, 2011 | 10:49 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I know that it’s only a matter of time, but still… It’s a little frustrating, given the glacierlike pace of HR depts. The process is so impersonal now, it’s like “don’t call us, we’ll call you.”

10. KPOcala
      February 1st, 2011 | 2:45 am

Steve, you’ve been a class act amongst the “nabobs of negatism” & the “pointy-headed intellectuals”, people that can’t carry your keyboard. If you decide to move on, good luck and fortune! But for the sake of the Country, the hemiphere, and World as we know it, please drop some lines of commentary when you feel like it. Maybe you’ll get the itch again. Hell Jim Palmer attempted a comeback when he was in the HOF! So, I think that I speak for many readers who have enjoyed your thoughts. Many, many, of us will be there to nit-pick you to pieces ;) God Bless & many THANKS.

11. February 1st, 2011 | 6:55 am

@ KPOcala: Thanks for the kind words!

Like I said, WW isn’t “closing.” And, I may end up posting something down the line. But, it won’t be with the frequency that was past practice. If anything, it will be around 3% of what I used to do – probably more weekend based, but, not every weekend, for sure. For instance, right now I’m reading “SCOOTER,” and, when I’m done with it, I will post a review on it, without question. And, I still have friends in the Blogosphere and I expect to share links to their work, from time to time, to try and help them out when I can.

12. KPOcala
      February 1st, 2011 | 11:47 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Good deal! Looking forward to the review.