• Feelings Towards 2011 Yanks Reminiscent To 24 Years Ago

Posted by on February 20th, 2011 · Comments (6)

On so many levels, I feel like it’s 1987 again – in terms of my feelings towards the Yankees.

Personally, in 1987, I started to become more fanatical about things other than the Yankees. Don’t get me wrong – I still loved the team, kept my finger on their pulse, and wanted them to do well. But, my level of intensity, in terms of being plugged into the daily ebb and flow of the team, all the minutiae, etc., was no where near it was in the ten years before that time.

And, this was much more about me, than the team, at that time. After all, in 1986 – albeit that New York was a Mets town back then – the Yankees won 90 games. Further, they won 97 games in 1985. It wasn’t as if the Yankees, heading in ’87, were trending towards being a boring team. Again, it’s just that – for me – there were more exciting things happening and I turned down the burner under my Yankees fan pot.

Of course, in the years that followed 1987, we saw some pretty bad Yankees baseball. I’m sure more than a few Yankees fans had waning interest in the team from 1988 to 1992. And, I was one of them. It wasn’t until 1993 that I started to feel the same about the Yankees as I did before 1987.

Back to point, regarding the 2011 Yankees, it’s like it’s 1987 all over again for me. At this moment, I have no buzz. Don’t confuse this with total apathy. It’s not that – in no way whatsoever. I will still follow the team, hope they do well, attend games, etc. Yet, it’s not like my “Yankees fandom” – for lack of a better phrase – is one of the top three focal points in my life at this time. (Whereas, from 1973 to 1986-ish, and from 1993 to 2008-ish, it was one of the most important facets of my identity.)

Hey, it is what it is, for whatever reason. I’m not going to try and dissect it at this point – even if I have some thoughts about its root cause. Feelings are feelings – and that’s that. And, today, my feelings about the 2011 Yankees are the same as my feelings for the team back in 1987.

Now, of course, the bigger question is: Will the Yankees of 2012 to 2016 mirror what we saw in Yankeeland from 1988 to 1992? Hey, it’s possible – and maybe that’s another reason why I feel this way now?

Comments on Feelings Towards 2011 Yanks Reminiscent To 24 Years Ago

February 20th, 2011 | 11:45 am

24 years ago… That is quite sobering.

I was in JHS in 1987 :D

2. Evan3457
      February 20th, 2011 | 10:49 pm

Raf wrote:

24 years ago… That is quite sobering.
      I was in JHS in 1987

Whereas I was just three weeks into my full-time career teaching high school math.

24 years gone by…seems like only 54.

3. LMJ229
      February 21st, 2011 | 12:18 am

Evan3457 wrote:

A profession not much appreciated by our POS Governor if you live in my state.

4. February 21st, 2011 | 7:06 am

This time, in 1987, I was just three months past my 24th birthday. I was out of college for 20 months, working full-time, and probably making close to $310 a week (gross!). But, I was living the high-life. So much fun to be had at that age with some coin in my pocket and no more school to deal with, etc. Baseball was on the radar – but so were many, many, other things – esp. from Friday night to Sunday afternoon.

5. 77yankees
      February 21st, 2011 | 10:09 am

Keeping the tag going – I was entering my junior year in high school.

1987 wasn’t totally bad – just the last two months. They were in first place for 78 days that season, but went 23-28 from Aug 8 on.

For me the dreadful days were 1989-92 – when you knew from Opening Day the Yanks had no chance of sniffing the post season.

6. MJ Recanati
      February 22nd, 2011 | 6:37 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

A profession not much appreciated by our POS Governor if you live in my state.

I’ll see your POS governor and raise you a POS plutocrat mayor. You can have Mayor Bloomberg if you want him. He’s a giant fucking douche.