• Same Gaga, Three Years Later

Posted by on February 20th, 2011 · Comments (15)

I have to say that I find it amusing to hear some Yankees fans doting over Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, and Andrew Brackman. Basically, it’s the same idiots who were going nuts three years ago over “Phil Franchise, Joba and IPK.”

Can’t we just let them get to the big leagues and prove something before we start carving out their Cooperstown plaques?

Comments on Same Gaga, Three Years Later

1. Evan3457
      February 20th, 2011 | 10:46 pm

Don’t tell us; tell Bill Madden.

He’s yelling at Cashman for not giving Banuelos and Betances an immediate shot at the rotation:

Wah! Brian won’t play nice with me and give me scoops like George used to! Wahhhhhh!

February 20th, 2011 | 11:38 pm

No need to be a prospect grinch, let the fans enjoy it.

3. Scout
      February 21st, 2011 | 9:30 am

I’m with Steve on this. Much as I enjoy watching prospects on the way up, we need to curb our enthusiasm. If even one of the Killer B’s becomes a #1 or #2 starter in the majors, I will be more than satisfied. That’s why an organization needs to put so many young pitchers into the pipeline.

And I credit Casham and the organization with having learned something from the Joba fiasco that idiots like Madden fail to grasp. The place to learn the craft of pitching and build up arm strength is in the minors, not in the bigs. When young pitchers are ready to start in the majors with a full repertoire, their arms need to be strong enough to avoid low innings caps. Madden naturally cherry picks examples of pitchers who thrived despite little minor league experience, but the evidence suggests that patience is a far more likely path to success.

4. 77yankees
      February 21st, 2011 | 9:59 am

Well, sometimes in these cases you end up with Scott Kamienicki, Wade Taylor and Jeff Johnson. Or Jason Isringhausen, Bill Pulsipher and Paul Wilson.

Or you can end up with Tom Glavine, John Smoltz and Steve Avery starting for you in the World Series.

Out of the three, Brackman is age 25, so he’s the only one I can imagine suiting up in the Bronx this season.

February 21st, 2011 | 1:14 pm

Scout wrote:

Why? People have enough to worry about. If someone wants to express happiness or excitement about prospects, let them have their fun. Why rain on their parade?

6. Scout
      February 21st, 2011 | 6:06 pm

Raf wrote:

Be my guest! I prefer a bit more of an even keel. Had my heart broken once too often by the Tyler Clippard’s of this world. :-(

February 21st, 2011 | 7:11 pm

Scout wrote:

I’m even keeled myself, maybe even jaded. Given the amount of baseball I’ve watched over the years, I’d almost have to be. But I can’t blame people for being excited about young pitching prospects; they don’t come around that often. When was the last time the organization had 3 prospects as highly regarded as Chamberlain, Kennedy & Hughes? I’m honestly drawing a blank. It’s good to see that Banuelos, Brackman and Betances ranked so high. It means that the system is producing. It give the Yankees more options to do whatever it is they want to do.

Will they be overhyped? Sure; it’s part and parcel of playing in NY. People love narratives and stories. It’s just the way things are.

8. MJ Recanati
      February 22nd, 2011 | 6:21 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Be careful who you call an idiot, Steve. You’ve written plenty on this blog and in the comments that, with the benefit of hindsight, would appear to be much worse.

I’m not saying that to be disrespectful. It’s only meant as a gentle reminder that we can’t all always be correct all of the time. You’ve made your share of gaffes as well.

9. deadrody
      February 27th, 2011 | 11:10 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Yeah, wow, such idiots were THEY!!! Those idiots were only hyping three guys that are currently bona fide major league pitchers with 2.9, 6.9, and 7.4 WAR to their credit so far. I’d hate to be so wrong.

10. October 2nd, 2012 | 11:42 am

Hey, anyone want to talk about Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, and Andrew Brackman now?

October 2nd, 2012 | 12:44 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Sure. Brackman’s in the Reds system, Betances had an off year and Banuelos was hurt. Betances profiles as a reliever, he’s still in his mid 20′s and can still be a serviceable arm if he gets his control. Certainly, you’re not giving up on 21 year old lefty Banuelos, are you?

In Feb of 2011, should fans not have been excited about these three arms?

C’mon now.

12. October 2nd, 2012 | 12:52 pm

TJ surgery now for Banuelos. So, it will be two lost years, counting 2012, on his development

October 2nd, 2012 | 1:02 pm

So then he comes back in 2014… :P

14. 77yankees
      October 2nd, 2012 | 1:13 pm

TJ surgery is not the death call for pitchers once thought it was.

15. October 2nd, 2012 | 1:22 pm

Development wise, this sets him back. He will need a half to full year at AAA with success. So, the earliest he helps the Yankees could be 2015. That’s a long way away.