• Hank Stein Takes A Poke At Jeter

Posted by on February 21st, 2011 · Comments (13)

Via Nick Cafardo -

When asked about Boston’s spiraling payroll and spending spree this offseason, Steinbrenner said, “John (Henry) is committed to winning as we are. He’ll do what he has to do.”

He added, “The Red Sox are always gonna be there with the Yankees along with five or six other teams who can win the World Series. This year it’s the Phillies. The AL East is an SOB.”

Concerning his own team, Steinbrenner said that he sees a hunger returning to the team, the same hunger he saw in 2009.

“In 09 I saw it,” he said. “… Sometimes they celebrated a little too much last year. Some of the players too busy building mansions and concentrating on other things and not concentrating on winning. I have no problems saying that. They’ve come into this spring with a new hunger and that’s what it takes to win.”

The one player who built a “mansion” was Derek Jeter.

“I’m not singling anybody out,” Steinbrenner said. “This year, from what I’ve seen by our coaches they’ve come in with a real new drive and determination, the kind they had in ’09. I think they felt embarrassed last year. It bothers them.”

Concerning the team’s inability to acquire a starting pitcher, Steinbrenner said, “We did. We got Soriano. Everybody’s missing the point. We didn’t get Lee, but we got the second-best relief pitcher in the American League and now he’s the set-up guy.”

I wonder if Hank knows that A-Rod is purchasing a penthouse in The Rushmore Building on Manhattan’s Upper West Side? That’s sorta like a mansion, isn’t it?

Comments on Hank Stein Takes A Poke At Jeter

February 21st, 2011 | 6:58 pm

Whatev’s Hank…

2. 77yankees
      February 21st, 2011 | 7:18 pm

Yes, all that “mansion building” was the reason they couldn’t hit Colby Lewis in the ALCS…..but didn’t seem to interfere with them sweeping Minnesota.

Asinine.

3. JeremyM
      February 21st, 2011 | 8:52 pm

Is Hank just doing a really bad impression of his dad, or is he truly this dumb? I’m not a Jeter apologist but this is tacky.

4. PocketAces
      February 22nd, 2011 | 9:39 am

Maybe….just maybe….Hank is trying to get under the skin of Jeter. Ya know…under the millions of dollars/women/acres of land……and make Jeter pissed off enough to think FUCK YOU Hank, to dig in and get 190 hits this year, to score 100+ runs this year, and to play above what a 36 year old SS should be able to do.

Maybe….

February 22nd, 2011 | 10:05 am

PocketAces wrote:

Maybe….

Hank wishes he were that important.

Jeter isn’t some new kid showing up to camp. He’s been in the majors since 1996, he’s been in the organization since 1992. I think he knows he’s coming off a bad season. I think he’s aware of what he needs to do to become a productive player.

Hank needs to STFU and let the players play. If Jeter declines it will not be because of Hank. If Jeter has an all-world season, it will not be because of Hank.

6. redbug
      February 22nd, 2011 | 11:30 am

@ Raf: Hank wishes he were that important.

Exactly…or that smart. He’s as ridiculous as his father.

7. Corey Italiano
      February 22nd, 2011 | 12:54 pm

PocketAces wrote:

to dig in and get 190 hits this year, to score 100+ runs this year,

I don’t think it’s that unreasonable.

8. MJ Recanati
      February 22nd, 2011 | 6:23 pm

JeremyM wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

9. MJ Recanati
      February 22nd, 2011 | 6:25 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

To put some perspective..to “dig in” he’d only need 11 more hits than last year. He scored 111 runs so you can check that off too. The difference between a Jeterian season and his horrible year last year translate to about 2-3 extra hits and perhaps an extra BB a month.I don’t think it’s that unreasonable.

That’s true, I suppose. But let’s not spin too far in the other direction and make the case that Jeter was just horribly unlucky and that everything was peachy-keen with him. He was an out-maker last year and a stubborn ass about it too. Of course, Girardi bears some of the blame for kowtowing to veterans and not shaking up the lineup a little bit to hide Jeter and Teixeira for the time that they were doing nothing to help the team…

10. Evan3457
      February 22nd, 2011 | 7:00 pm

Hank is just filling the remaining hole left by the passing of the Boss.

Cashman is the brains of the outfit.
      Hal is the authority and the money.

That leaves the role of blustering “loose cannon on deck” to be filled by Hank.

The man is just fulfilling his function, so let’s cut him some slack.

11. Corey Italiano
      February 22nd, 2011 | 7:01 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I didn’t say that…but everyone makes it seem like Jeter’s pretty much toast(not just in this thread or even site), and I was just pointing out that it’s entirely possible that he can go back to what he was.

12. MJ Recanati
      February 23rd, 2011 | 8:03 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      Agree to disagree on that. I think Jeter’s toast. 2008 and 2010 make 2009 seem like the outlier here.

Of course, when I say “toast”, I don’t mean Willie Mays in 1973 with the Mets. I just mean that 2008 and 2010 should be Jeter’s baseline going forward in 2011 and beyond. That means he still has the right to play 150 games, it just won’t be very pretty or what we’re used to.

13. MJ Recanati
      February 23rd, 2011 | 8:05 am

@ Evan3457:
      I know you’re saying it tongue in cheek but, really, the positive byproduct of George Steinbrenner’s dementia was that we didn’t have to listen to his blustery tirades any more. Having Hank fill that void isn’t a good thing.

I know that’s harsh of me to say but I really do prefer my sports owners to be seen and not heard since the great majority of the time they add nothing positive or intelligent to the conversation.