• Lucky Braves Fans

Posted by on March 8th, 2011 · Comments (14)

Today, while working, I had the pleasure of taking in today’s Yankees-Braves game on mlb gameday audio as broadcasted by the Atlanta Braves radio team. The game, however, is not the reason I’m writing this. During a commercial break, there was an advertisement for Braves season ticket packages. Care to guess the price point at which they started the ticket plans? $332.00. Yep, three hundred and thirty two dollars. Color me jealous. I don’t care where the seats are, for just about $4 a game I’m hopping on that if I were a Braves fan living near the park. Made me sad in a way, because I’ll never get to enjoy that kind of deal with the Yankees.

Comments on Lucky Braves Fans

1. MJ Recanati
      March 8th, 2011 | 7:11 pm

Different costs/standards of living, different levels of success over the past decade, new stadium vs. slightly aged stadium and, of course, the hidden costs of Braves fandom vs. Yankee fandom (you absolutely must drive to Turner Field; you can commute to Yankee Stadium via train, boat, or bus). $332 in Atlanta is definitely cheap. But I don’t think you can compare one market to another and assume them to be the same.

That being said, if I lived in Atlanta, sure, I’d spend the money to catch ballgames. I’m glad I don’t live in Atlanta, however. That “city” sucks complete shit.

2. Corey Italiano
      March 8th, 2011 | 7:51 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      new stadium vs. slightly aged stadium
      ———————–
      The prices weren’t that different in the old stadium.

Why all the hate on Atlanta? (just curious, I’m indifferent).

Anyway, my angle here is that I would love to be at the Stadium 81 times a year+, but I can’t afford it. And if I were a Braves fan, living in Atlanta, I could and I’m jealous of that.

3. G.I. Joey
      March 9th, 2011 | 1:14 am

I made a sacrifice shelling out the dough for a full season package in 2009. I wanted to attend as many games as possible in the innagrual season of the new stadium and luckily I capped it off by witnessing the Yanks bring in #27. That was my first and last season as a full season ticket holder and I just pay as I go now. I’d love for tickets to be cheaper, but instead I’ll just buy the cheapest tickets and sneak down to field level (there are a couple of methods that make this possible.)

On a unrelated note, WW meetup, anyone interested in giving this another try this season?

4. March 9th, 2011 | 8:00 am

True story. This weekend, I came across two old ticket stubs – one from 97 and one from 98.

The one from 1997 was for 9/21/97. It was a Field Box seat at the Stadium. Section 11. Box 35. Row J. Seat 7.

The price? $35.00

Yes, THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS. What will that seat cost today in the new Stadium? I’m guessing about $250.

That’s to much of a jump in 14 years. And, that’s the problem with Yankees tickets these days.

In 1997, I could afford to spend $140 to bring my family of 4 to one game. In 2010, it’s insane to spend $1,000 to take a family of four to ONE GAME!

March 9th, 2011 | 8:14 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

That’s what I usually do; buy SRO tickets then wander around the park, eventually sitting in a decent seat.

Not an option when I’m going with people.

March 9th, 2011 | 8:16 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

In 2010, it’s insane to spend $1,000 to take a family of four to ONE GAME!

Depends on where you sit; I haven’t come anywhere close to spending $1,000.

7. MJ Recanati
      March 9th, 2011 | 8:32 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

The prices weren’t that different in the old stadium.

I’ve been a season ticket holder since the 2007 season. My tickets have gone up $20 per seat for a very modest downgrade in seat location.

I’d beg to differ that prices at the old ballpark were similar to prices at the new one. At certain price points they may have stayed the same or only modestly increased but you’re neglecting to consider the decreased capacity which makes each seat more expensive, per capita, than the previous ballpark.

Corey Italiano wrote:

Why all the hate on Atlanta? (just curious, I’m indifferent).

It’s a lousy city in my opinion. The urban sprawl makes it such that there’s very little going on in any one place at any one time, the downtown area is very old (and I don’t mean old in a good way) and run down and it’s perhaps the most segregated city I’ve ever been to. There are rich black neighborhoods, poor black neighborhoods, rich white neighborhoods and poor white neighborhoods and no cross-overs that I could tell. While I understand that there’s no place in the US quite like NYC, I do expect big cities to have at least some flavor and multi-ethnic aspects of culture-sharing. Not in Atlanta. I couldn’t hate a city more than I hate that one. Plus the weather blows down there. Sherman was right to have burned it 150 years ago. Too bad it didn’t stay burned.

March 9th, 2011 | 9:22 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Tell us how you really feel, MJ :D

9. MJ Recanati
      March 9th, 2011 | 10:33 am

Raf wrote:

Tell us how you really feel, MJ

LOL, yep, you could say I really don’t have an affinity for Atlanta.

I had an ex-gf that was from there. In addition to what I consider my own valid criticisms about their poor layout and urban planning and the lack of integration or ethnic diversity, I guess you could say she tips the scales against too. :-D

March 9th, 2011 | 11:03 am

I was there back in 1997, wasn’t particularly impressed with the city either. Seemed like a mishmash of modernization and urban renewal.

There were some decent looking women there, and I had some pretty good eating, so it wasn’t all bad. Also got to cross Turner Field off the list.

11. Corey Italiano
      March 9th, 2011 | 1:41 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I had an ex-gf that was from there.

Ah, the truth comes out. ;)

12. MJ Recanati
      March 9th, 2011 | 3:47 pm

Raf wrote:

There were some decent looking women there

The ladies in FL are better. Way better. Maybe girls in the GA sticks are pretty but the Atlanta ladies were generally subpar.

Raf wrote:

and I had some pretty good eating

About the only redeeming thing I can say about Atlanta were the burgers at that place called Vortex. It’s pretty famous and it deserves its good reputation.

Raf wrote:

Also got to cross Turner Field off the list.

Me too. Very “meh” for a new facility. Camden is a few years older and is way better. And, post-remodeling, the new version of new Comiskey (US Cellular) is also better than the younger Turner Field.

I’m surprised at how blah Turner Field came out, considering who the old owner was.

13. 77yankees
      March 9th, 2011 | 9:03 pm

For an area that hosts a lot of corporate HQ (Coca Cola, Delta, CNN, Home Depot, etc.) Atlanta sure has a rep for dropping the ball when it comes to hosting events like the 1996 Olympics and the 2000 Super Bowl. It’s almost like a “wannabe” metropolis.

March 9th, 2011 | 9:23 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

To be fair, it was a repurposed olympic facility.