• Happy Birthday, Mr. Boone

Posted by on March 9th, 2011 · Comments (11)

Ah, good times.

Comments on Happy Birthday, Mr. Boone

1. agsf
      March 9th, 2011 | 7:06 pm

And then the Yankees went on to win the world series!

Wait…

2. redbug
      March 10th, 2011 | 6:02 pm

Still…what a great night! I screamed my head off.

3. Corey Italiano
      March 10th, 2011 | 6:05 pm

agsf wrote:

And then the Yankees went on to win the world series!

4. Jim TreshFan
      March 10th, 2011 | 11:23 pm

The Giants didn’t win the World Series in 1951 either.

5. MJ Recanati
      March 11th, 2011 | 9:29 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Couldn’t agree more.

6. G.I. Joey
      March 11th, 2011 | 12:06 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Corey Italiano wrote:Honestly, that doesn’t cheapen anything to me. That homer is the single most exciting baseball moment I’ve seen.Couldn’t agree more.

I remember going absolutely nuts watching this at my friend’s dorm room. He was a Sox fan and totally trashed his room after it happened. It was awesome.

7. MJ Recanati
      March 11th, 2011 | 1:06 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

He was a Sox fan and totally trashed his room after it happened.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that’s fantastic.

8. agsf
      March 11th, 2011 | 3:44 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Of course it does. Look at it this way, would you have rather the Yankees gone on to win the WS? Of course. It doesn’t take away from the excitement of the moment, but it does take away from the story. If you want to convince yourself that the moment wouldn’t even been greater if it had led to a championship, fine. But you’re in denial.

If anything, it adds to the red sox story. Pedro left in to long, wakefield’s slow walk off after the homer, and the next year redemption in beating the yankees after being down 3-0 AND winning the WS. It might depend if you’re a fan of the small picture or big picture. Small picture, great for the yankees. Big picture, the beginning of the Red Sox greatest year ever. That’s what you don’t get. The loss ADDS to the red sox WS victory the next year. From the very bottom to the very top.

9. MJ Recanati
      March 11th, 2011 | 4:50 pm

agsf wrote:

That’s an entirely subjective point of view. The moment might’ve been greater for you if it had led to a championship and there’s absolutely no one that can or should tell you that you’re not entitled to feel that way.

But for me — I won’t speak for Corey, even though I imagine that I can in this instance — Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS stands alone. I’ve never been happer with the result of a baseball game, even though I’ve witnessed five World Series championship celebrations.

Again, you’re entitled to your opinion but you certainly can’t dictate how others should feel or assume that they’re “in denial”. It’s too subjective a topic to have a right or wrong answer.

March 11th, 2011 | 5:36 pm

agsf wrote:

Not any more than the 97 ALDS loss led to the record setting 1998. It’s a cute narrative, but it’s a load of hooey.

11. Evan3457
      March 11th, 2011 | 10:50 pm

For me, it’s still Chambliss and the Royals, 1976. Or maybe the Bucky Dent game.

With Chambliss, I had never known a Yankee team that won. They won the division, and the Royals battled them tooth and nail. They didn’t win the Series that year, either.