• Yeah, Mr. T, He’s Down With Oh-Tee-Dee

Posted by on March 18th, 2011 · Comments (6)

Via Bloomberg -

Former New York Yankees manager Joe Torre accepted an invitation to participate for the first time in the team’s Old-Timers’ Day this season.

“I don’t know if I’m letting the cat out of the bag, but I was invited,” Torre told reporters last night during his first visit to Steinbrenner Field in Tampa, Florida, since ending contract negotiations with the Yankees in October 2007. “I’m planning on going.”

Old-Timers’ Day at Yankee Stadium, an annual tradition, is scheduled for June 26.

Torre left the franchise after rejecting a one-year, $5 million offer, ending a 12-year run as Yankees manager that included four World Series titles and playoff appearances every year.

He then managed the Los Angeles Dodgers for three seasons before becoming Major League Baseball’s executive vice president of baseball operations last month.

Torre has been visiting spring training sites as part of his new job, and said the trip back to Steinbrenner Field “does feel strange, but it feels good.”

“It’s water under the bridge, I guess,” Torre said of his contentious departure from the Yankees, according to audio of his comments posted at CBSNewYork.com. “I never would have changed anything, to be honest with you. You wish that, the time I left, that it could have ended differently, but I don’t know how it could have. I don’t know if either one of us knew how to say goodbye at that point.”

I wonder if Torre being there will bring out some of the recent retirees, like O’Neill, Bernie, etc., to Old-Timers Day as well? A lot of those 1996-2003 Yankees are no-shows for OTD. Heck, maybe Roger Clemens will show? Somebody lube up Suzyn Waldman, just in case…

Comments on Yeah, Mr. T, He’s Down With Oh-Tee-Dee

1. KPOcala
      March 18th, 2011 | 3:18 pm

I’m glad that Mr. Torre is back in the “fold”. BTW, did anyone notice that Beckett has become the #4 starter? Maybe all the hype about the Sox has been a bit premature….

2. redbug
      March 18th, 2011 | 4:13 pm

I’m really glad Joe Torre will be back. Because of the occassion and the way everyone walked close to one another, the crowd wasn’t able to give him his due at the memorial at the Stadium.

3. Evan3457
      March 18th, 2011 | 7:06 pm

KPOcala wrote:

Yeah, but Lackey is back at #2. He did pitch considerably better in the 2nd half, and I think he’ll have a good year this year. This will give the Sox a 3rd good starter, if Buchholz can hold most of his gains, no matter what Beckett does.

4. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2011 | 9:01 am

I’m glad Torre will be back too. Will he attempt to play or will he just manage one of the OTD teams?

5. 77yankees
      March 19th, 2011 | 10:35 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Will he attempt to play…..?

Good God, I hope not. I remember Luke Appling hit a 250 ft HR at age 75 in one of those Cracker Jack Old-Timers games in the 1980s in Washington D.C., but let’s not push it.

Didn’t Scooter stop playing in the OT games after getting a bloody nose on a bad hop one year?

6. K-V-C
      March 19th, 2011 | 12:21 pm

I think Scooter got hit two years in a row before he stopped playing..

Why are the Yankees letting Torre come back? After lying/whining about his contract, the book, the fact that he sucked as manager, not to mention how happy he said he was in L.A. Leave him out there. He is a complete phony.