• Yanks Sign Millwood

Posted by on March 25th, 2011 · Comments (6)

The story.

He should be good for innings.  But, the ERA will be close to five.  That’s what it’s been 3 of the last 4 years.

Comments on Yanks Sign Millwood

1. #15
      March 25th, 2011 | 9:57 am

I can’t believe I’m actually going to write this sentence but…. At this point I’d be inclined to give the #5 to Buffet Colon based on what he’s shown in Spring Training. Garcia or Mitre long in the pen? They are both middling pitchers at best. Can’t win either way. Maybe a slight edge to Garcia based on 2010 performance and they might get something (A or AA level prospect) of value for Mitre, so I’d probably try to move him. I don’t see Garcia or Mitre as any better than what we’ve got in the minors right now, but if I had to throw one of those two out there due to an injured starter, it would be Garcia. I’d really prefer to have our minor league guys focused on getting ready to contribute in 2012 and 13. Millwood? Under the best of circumstances he’s ready/available some time in May. We’ll have an idea on Colon and Nova by then. Millwood is not a bad insurance move if someone gets hurt. All of this is just patchwork stuff until we see if anything is coming available via mid-season trades. I still think there is merit in having Igawa pitch every inning of junk time until his arm falls off. Down by 6 in the third inning… Your in big guy. Back to back days. Three in a row. Day game after a night game… Whatever. Then box him up and send him home with his arm in a sling.

March 25th, 2011 | 10:47 am

#15 wrote:

Down by 6 in the third inning… Your in big guy.

Have the Yankees ever come back from a 6-run deficit?

3. Corey Italiano
      March 25th, 2011 | 11:36 am

#15 wrote:

I wonder if the Yanks would let Igawa stay home this year.

4. MJ Recanati
      March 25th, 2011 | 12:15 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

He should be good for innings. But, the ERA will be close to five. That’s what it’s been 3 of the last 4 years

With FIP’s of 4.55, 4.02 and 4.86, I’d say he’s been better than what his ERA’s have suggested. In some cases (like last year) not much better but in some cases (like 2008), siginificantly better.

Not a bad signing as insurance to Freddy Garcia/Bartolo Colon.

5. #15
      March 25th, 2011 | 1:59 pm

@ Raf:
      Have the Yankees ever come back from a 6-run deficit?

Okay… 7 runs in the 4th inning. Surely you believe there is such a thing as garbage time.

March 25th, 2011 | 2:50 pm

#15 wrote:

Yes I do, but keeping Igawa around to pitch in a “garbage time” situation is a waste of resources. The Yanks don’t get blown out enough to justify it. If you want to save a pen arm, have a position player pitch.