• I Like Cano’s Shoes…

Posted by on March 31st, 2011 · Comments (14)

…and other Opening Day (yes, capital O capital D) observations.

Good afternoon, WasWatching and baseball followers.  It has been quite a while since I have posted, but there is nothing like Opening Day to get one in the mood to live, breathe, and talk baseball.

I should admit, that for the first time in roughly 9 years, I barely paid attention to the happenings of Spring Training.  I knew about acquisitions over the course of the off season, but it was almost as if they went in one ear and out the other.  Last Saturday I felt the need to to yankees.com to actually peruse the roster.

But now I am back.  Baseball is here.  I am pumped.  So on to Opening Day:

• I do not have the type of job where I can follow along to the game at my desk.  This year I decided to DVR the game, avoid anything that could alert me to the score, and watch the game from start to finish when I got home.  It almost worked except for one person who knew I was a Yankee fan, and knew I couldn’t watch the game, told me the score.  She covered it up pretty well, but still.  Regardless, I went home and watched.
    • Mike Mussina has always been one of my favorite Yankees, and the longer he has been away from the game, the more I am liking him and relish in the few chances I get to see him.
    • I really do like Cano’s new cleats this season.
    • I’m hoping that Mark Teixeira’s 1-3 day with a home run, 3 RBIs, and a walk will mean that Teixeira will not get off to the normal slow start that Yankee fans have grown accustomed the last 2 years.  I might even be happy if it means a mediocre start.  (Did anyone notice the YES graphic about Teixeira’s 2010 April vs. today?  It was amusing.)
    • It’s good to see Curtis Granderson continue 2011 right where he left 2010.
    • I’m liking Russell Martin (hopefully this feeling will last).
    • I’m also liking the Yankee bullpen.  I’m not sure if Joba will be a Yankee in August, but hopefully he will pitch like today everyday.
    • I still hate bunting, Brett Gardener.
    • 17 years for Jeter, Rivera, and Posada.  Wow.
    • I like seeing Rivera close out Opening Day on a called third strike.  15 years after being made a closer, and he is still just as good as day one.

And now for the obligatory day off between day 1 and day 2, and then baseball continues once again on Saturday.

For the next 7 months I can watch a baseball game that means something every day.  Yay.

Comments on I Like Cano’s Shoes…

1. clintfsu813
      March 31st, 2011 | 7:50 pm

Great observations. I rewatched on phone at work and 2/3 of game later. Complete game boys…keep it up!

2. Corey Italiano
      April 1st, 2011 | 7:30 am

Before yesterdays game, I never realized how slow Swisher is. He got out ran by Miguel Cabrera. Come on now!

3. April 1st, 2011 | 9:20 am

It’s tough to run fast and pay attention to which TV camera has it’s red light on, at the same time.

4. YankCrank
      April 1st, 2011 | 10:11 am

It was a lot of fun being back in the Bronx watching baseball yesterday. Stan’s was packed pre and post-game, my Lobel’s sandwich with frickles was extremely delicious and it was just fun to sit back and watch our boys get off to a good start. Especially Granderson, who was all over the place making game-changing plays and going bomb squad.

One game down, and like any game from 1-162, a win before an off day is always a great feeling. :)

5. MJ Recanati
      April 1st, 2011 | 11:31 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

You hate Swisher too? Is there a single Yankee you actually like?

6. MJ Recanati
      April 1st, 2011 | 11:33 am

YankCrank wrote:

with frickles

What the hell is a frickle?

7. Corey Italiano
      April 1st, 2011 | 11:34 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

You hate Swisher too?

How could you forget ?

8. Corey Italiano
      April 1st, 2011 | 11:36 am

Although, to be fair, he has warmed up to Swisher more so in the past year.

9. MJ Recanati
      April 1st, 2011 | 11:37 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

How could you forget ?

I guess it’s hard to keep track.

Corey Italiano wrote:

Although, to be fair, he has warmed up to Swisher more so in the past year.

Which is probably why I forgot. I really could’ve sworn Steve wrote nice things about Swisher last year which is why his remark took me by surprise.

10. YankCrank
      April 1st, 2011 | 11:57 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

What the hell is a frickle?

Fried pickles my man, scroll down to the first image for Brother Jimmy’s BBQ…

11. MJ Recanati
      April 1st, 2011 | 12:02 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Fried pickles my man

I honestly can’t even picture what that might taste like. I mean, I’m sure it’s not bad — fried anything tends to be great — it’s just such an odd thing to imagine.

I’ll be at the stadium for my first game on 4/14. I guess I’ll just have to seek them out and taste them for myself.

What’s that dipping sauce?

12. YankCrank
      April 1st, 2011 | 1:55 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

What’s that dipping sauce?

A tangy horseradish sauce. Give em a try, Jimmy’s BBQ is lower level third-base side next to Lobel’s.

I was very skeptical myself until I tried them. But now i rarely pass on them.

Warning: They are, of course, extremely overpriced.

13. MJ Recanati
      April 1st, 2011 | 2:10 pm

@ YankCrank:
      I will definitely give them a shot. I do like me some tangy horseradish. It’ll probably go nicely with the Lobel’s steak sandwich too!

April 1st, 2011 | 4:26 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Warning: They are, of course, extremely overpriced.

That’s ok, there are other Brother Jimmys locations :D

I’ve had them before, they were pretty good as I remember. You’ll usually find them served at “southern bbq” restaurants.