• Jose Reyes

Posted by on April 5th, 2011 · Comments (16)

The other day, I thought about the potential of the Yankees having an interest in Jose Reyes once he becomes free agent this off-season. And, I almost wrote about it here. But, then I looked at Reyes’ career OBA number and the decrease in his steals, and factored in the Jeter contract, and the few places in the line-up where the Yankees could move Jeter, and I thought “Nah, there’s no chance of this happening.”  So, I said nothing and filed the thought.

But, Allen Barra disagrees and thinks it could happen.

I’m telling ya…if this does happen, I think I might throw up.  I really can’t stand Jose Reyes.

Comments on Jose Reyes

1. YankCrank
      April 5th, 2011 | 10:46 am

There’s no game thread or post about how dirty A-Rod is, so I’ll start it here.

Great start to the season, Alex. Scorching the ball all over the place, making some phenomenal defensive plays (final out of last night’s game). You’re simply amazing, Alex.

2. Evan3457
      April 5th, 2011 | 11:01 am

…and he’ll be the man replacing The JETER, so that doubles down on the bile quotient.

3. clintfsu813
      April 5th, 2011 | 11:13 am

@ YankCrank:
      Yes…Alex is going to have a GREAT year barring injury. I could honestly see Alex, Tex AND Cano being in top 10 for MVP voting this year.

As for Reyes. There are certain good players I would not want to see on the Yanks regardless of talent. Reyes, Papsmere, Douchelis, Manny being a few.

4. Greg H.
      April 5th, 2011 | 11:30 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Add Beckett to that list, along with Cliff Lee and G-d forbid, Arthur Rhodes for me.

5. MJ Recanati
      April 5th, 2011 | 11:31 am

Jose Reyes will not be a Yankee for two reasons:

1) He’s going to get a big contract. How big will depend on the type of season he has and if he demonstrates that he’s fully healhty. But it’ll be big because starting-caliber SS’s don’t hit free agency all too often.

2) The Yankees are not moving Jeter to DH, 3B, 2B or anywhere else in 2011 or 2012. They might not even move Jeter until the final year of his contract in 2014. As a result, Reyes would have to agree to play a different position and, as currently constituted, the Yankees don’t have any openings for Reyes.

6. MJ Recanati
      April 5th, 2011 | 11:37 am

Greg H. wrote:

along with Cliff Lee

You’d have been upset if the Yankees signed Cliff Lee? Really?

Not saying I don’t believe you but…well, I sort of don’t believe you.

7. Ryan81
      April 5th, 2011 | 11:54 am

Actually, I really like Reyes as a ballplayer. He’s a high energy guy that will give the team a boost of energy on the field and off. I see him as kind of an upgrade to Gardner, and he won’t come as expensive as you would think as he’s had plenty of injury woes in the past couple of years that teams will shy away from.

I do think that it’s a little too far down the road to be predicting next year’s lineup and where Reyes would fit in but my guess is: despite his great start, I have a gut feeling that this is Posada’s last year. Granted Montero could step in at DH, but I also think they’ll give Montero at least a year to try to win the catching job. Martin certainly has to earn a new contract next year, as iirc, he’s only signed to a 1 year deal. I think Jeter would bite at the “full-time” DH role if the Yankees can sell him on it being “best for the team” because Reyes makes the Yankees an even more dangerous lineup than if Jeter plays short and Cashman goes after another reclamation project like Nick Johnson.

It also gives the Yankees a lot more flexibility to trade for a high-end pitcher that they so desperately need. A lot of people were opposed to trading Gardner + for a starter b/c it leaves a huge hole at an outfield spot. Now, you can make the case to even replace Gardner with Jeter, Reyes at SS, Montero at DH, and Martin (?) or Cervelli at C. The team is better with that lineup and a very good starter than the current lineup and Freddy Garcia in the rotation.

8. Ryan81
      April 5th, 2011 | 11:56 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

You’d have been upset if the Yankees signed Cliff Lee? Really?
      Not saying I don’t believe you but…well, I sort of don’t believe you.

No I think he means he wanted Lee this offseason, but now wouldn’t want him on the team down the road after standing us up in the offseason.

9. Scout
      April 5th, 2011 | 12:02 pm

Jeter’s bat profiles well for a shortstop — and essentially no place else. As a DH, he would bring little to the table. He’ll remain where he is for the next three years (including this one), barring a total collapse in his performance. We will see his skills decline, but the good news is we’ll be treated to endless columns about his intangibles and leadership.

10. Corey Italiano
      April 5th, 2011 | 12:30 pm

No love for Nova who should have given up only 1 ER if not for a bad play and later a Jeter error?

P.S.

Why does Nova get 3 ER? Shouldn’t that have only been 2?

11. clintfsu813
      April 5th, 2011 | 1:05 pm

I wanted Lee..but not for that kind of deal. Let Philly deal with his back end. We already enough albatross contracts to deal with.

12. MJ Recanati
      April 5th, 2011 | 1:37 pm

Ryan81 wrote:

When you say an upgrade to Gardner, do you mean as a leadoff hitter or as an outfielder? If as a leadoff hitter, you’re giving up at least 20-30 OBP points, if not more. Reyes has more power than Gardner but if the goal is to get men on base more frequently for your big boppers, Gardner is probably the more adequate leadoff hitter.

In terms of acquisition cost, I think you’re vastly underestimating what it would take to sign Reyes. He turns 28 in June and has been a roughly 3 WAR player over his eight year career. That would translate to between $13-14M in value on the free agent market. Given his age and value at a premium position, Reyes would be looking at a minimum of four years (and more likely six years) at around $15M per year (adjusting for the scarcity of the position and how rare it is that 28 year old All-Star caliber SS’s come to market). The Yanks have no need for a 5Y/$75M shortstop when they’ve already got one on the team.

Ryan81 wrote:

Jeter would be a lousy DH because he doesn’t hit enough to be counted on for the high level of production one would expect out of that slot. Further, if Jeter didn’t move off SS for an incoming MVP in his prime in Rodriguez, he certainly wouldn’t move off SS for Jose Reyes.

Ryan81 wrote:

Now, you can make the case to even replace Gardner with Jeter

Jeter has played exactly zero games in the outfield and is turning 37 years old in June. Yankee Stadium is one of the tougher and more spacious left fields in all of baseball. He doesn’t hit enough to be a LF, probably doesn’t field well enough to live with the lack of production in the OF and, again, won’t be moving from SS for at least the next two full seasons.

13. Greg H.
      April 5th, 2011 | 1:40 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

Sort of.
      First of all, I have a of of respect for what he does as a player – it’s obvious he’s one of the most talented pitchers in mlb. I didn’t feel anything other than that while he was at Cleveland. But when he moved to Philly, and faced us in the Series. Something happened. Here he was, shutting us down again, and there’s a soft pop up to the mound, and he grabbed the thing so flippantly, it produced an irrational disgust in me. It really got under my skin.

Then, it became apparent we were trying to land him, first via trade, then via free agency. First the trade falls thru at the last minute. Then the free agency competition. I felt we offered 2 too many years, and still lingered on the residue from that world series pop-up.

I wasn’t disappointed we didn’t get him, because of the above, along with the fact that if we had him, we’d have to give up on the goal of playing him again in the WS and beating his ass.

14. Greg H.
      April 5th, 2011 | 1:44 pm

Scout wrote:

Agreed, Jeter’s the shortstop for the next two, likely three years. If he gets hurt we’d be playing Nunez there for a whole bunch of games.

15. Scout
      April 5th, 2011 | 4:33 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      I fully agree. Anytime a possible deal involves shifting so many bodies around, it simply won’t happen.

April 5th, 2011 | 7:17 pm

No room for Reyes at the inn. And even if there were, there are far too many moves that need to be made to accommodate him.