• Scout: Jeter “Looks Done”

    Posted by on April 13th, 2011 · Comments (15)

    Via Jon Heyman -

    [Derek Jeter is] hitting .206, raising concerns in the Bronx that, at the least, maybe that four-year deal wasn’t the greatest of ideas for the soon-to-be 37-year-old. Jeter has hit an inordinate number of weak grounders and has only one extra-base hit so far. He won’t admit he’s worried, but others are wondering whether his adjustments to his stride (he eliminated the stride this winter, and now it’s back occasionally) is a tipoff to troubles. But others say not to read too much into so few games and a bit of tinkering (the great Yankee Don Mattingly was famous for doing the same thing). Jeter himself said, “It’s only nine games.” Even so, the speculation persists. Jeter supporters point out he’s been through bad streaks before, sometimes when he wasn’t completely healthy. But one scout says, “He’s been tardy” (on pitches), and another flat out says, “He looks done.” That’s doubtful. But one thing’s for sure, and that’s this. “I’m done talking about it,” he says.

    Robin Yount was “done” at 37. So, maybe it’s true for Jeter too? Still, you have to give it some more time before you stick a fork in the guy.

    Comments on Scout: Jeter “Looks Done”

    1. 77yankees
      April 13th, 2011 | 3:07 pm

      For everyone who writes these “Jeter is done” and “Jeter is declining” articles, they fail to answer one question:

      What’s the alternative that would be an improvement?

    2. MJ Recanati
      April 13th, 2011 | 3:25 pm

      Jon Heyman wrote:

      maybe that four-year deal wasn’t the greatest of ideas for the soon-to-be 37-year-old.

      Jeez, ya think? It was a horrible idea but we all knew several years ago that the Yankees would pay for sentimentality, no matter where Jeter was on his career arc.

      77yankees wrote:

      What’s the alternative that would be an improvement?

      A one-year deal with a stop-gap type like Orlando Cabrera, figuring that he gets you through the first few months until some other piece of garbage is available to sign off waivers to take his place.

      One year of Jeter at $17M was probably going to be one year too many. Four years of Jeter at $17M is absolutely absurd. Two of his last three seasons showed decidedly advanced stages of decline. Why are people surprised that he looks done?

    3. April 13th, 2011 | 5:25 pm

      We can only hope he is not as bad as he looks right now. That said, the Yanks never should have gone beyond two years. I thought he should have come in around 35 and 40 million. A great deal of that would have been for this year’s salary and bonus for 3,000 hits. He also needs to be dealt with realistically, he can’t stay at the top of the order hitting like this.

      A sidebar on this of course is Gardner. I have never been convinced this guy is anything more than a spare part. The Yanks may have to shop for a left handed hitting outfielder to platoon with Jones, coupled with the Jeter situation, that could mean the Yanks are in need of both a number 1 and number 2 hitter by the time we get to June.

    4. Raf
      April 13th, 2011 | 5:38 pm

      77yankees wrote:

      For everyone who writes these “Jeter is done” and “Jeter is declining” articles, they fail to answer one question:
      What’s the alternative that would be an improvement?

      There are plenty of options; a stopgap comes up from the minors, or is signed, or is traded for. There’ll be a revolving door at the position until a suitable replacement is found.

    5. LMJ229
      April 13th, 2011 | 10:28 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      One year of Jeter at $17M was probably going to be one year too many. Four years of Jeter at $17M is absolutely absurd.

      Amen! Honestly, what were the Yankees smoking when they drew up that contract? We knew the Yankees would overpay because Jeter is an icon. But they WAY overpaid in both dollars and years.

    6. LMJ229
      April 13th, 2011 | 10:32 pm

      77yankees wrote:

      What’s the alternative that would be an improvement?

      I would think the Yankees would be able to find someone to replace a .270 hitting shortstop with diminishing range and no power if, in fact, that’s what Jeter has become.

    7. LMJ229
      April 13th, 2011 | 10:39 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      It was a horrible idea but we all knew several years ago that the Yankees would pay for sentimentality, no matter where Jeter was on his career arc.

      Funny how they didn’t have that same sentimentality with Bernie or Matsui. And the Yankees were right in letting those two go. It is better to let a guy go a year early than three years too late.

    8. Evan3457
      April 13th, 2011 | 11:04 pm

      As I recall…seems to me a lot of people around here were berating the Yanks’ management for taking a tough line against Jeter over the fall/winter negotiations. Someone said they should never have treated Jeter like that. Let me say two things, seemingly contradictory:

      1) Jeter may be done. The other half of maybe is…maybe not.
      2) All those berating Yanks’ management over the Jeter negotiations and bewailing the fact that the Yanks signed Jeter to a 4-year deal worth a total of $59 million (plus possible, but not likely, bonuses), make up your minds. Pick one side of the argument, and stick with it.

      Either the Yanks were too tough, in which case you don’t get to complain about the contract, or the contract is ridiculous for a player of his fading abilities, in which case, they weren’t tough enough.

      You don’t get to have both sides of that argument.

    9. Evan3457
      April 13th, 2011 | 11:07 pm

      77yankees wrote:

      For everyone who writes these “Jeter is done” and “Jeter is declining” articles, they fail to answer one question:
      What’s the alternative that would be an improvement?

      Inasmuch as they refused to surrender Nunez in the Lee deal as Adams’ replacement, the logical follow-up to that would’ve been to let Jeter go and take the mediocrity that Nunez would’ve given them at 1/50th the cost, plowing the savings into help at some other position or positions.

      Might’ve cost them Mariano, I suppose. But then they could’ve signed Soriano to do the job he’s supposed to be doing for the price he’s being paid.

    10. Evan3457
      April 13th, 2011 | 11:08 pm

      Note: I’m not saying I’d have let Jeter go. I’m saying they should’ve held the line on 2 years/$25-30 million, and if Jeter balked, then vaya con dios, El Capitan.

    11. MJ Recanati
      April 14th, 2011 | 5:31 am

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Pick one side of the argument, and stick with it. You don’t get to have both sides of that argument.

      I think I’ve been pretty consistent in arguing my side.

    12. Scout
      April 14th, 2011 | 7:03 am

      I was consistently in the two years/$20 million total contract range, here and on other blogs. I have to admit that I believed Jeter still had two adequate years left in him (no more than that), and I continue to expect him to end up around .270 this season, with other numbers similar to last year. I refuse to jump to conclusions about any regular player after a ten-game sample.

    13. Raf
      April 14th, 2011 | 2:20 pm

      LMJ229 wrote:

      Funny how they didn’t have that same sentimentality with Bernie or Matsui.

      Different circumstances. Bernie was done physically; he couldn’t play the OF any more, couldn’t run, couldn’t throw, and was essentially a platoon player. I suppose had he been able to play 1b, he may have been able to stick around for another year?

      Matsui had a desire to play the OF, there was no room for him at the inn.

    14. LMJ229
      April 14th, 2011 | 9:11 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Note: I’m not saying I’d have let Jeter go. I’m saying they should’ve held the line on 2 years/$25-30 million, and if Jeter balked, then vaya con dios, El Capitan.

      Exactly! There is no way he gets a better deal than that from any other team. Most people believed he’d get $8-10 million per year with no more than a two year contract. If they want to pay him for sentimentality, then give him a personal services contract. I’d like to know who negotiated this contract for the Yankees, it’s ludicrous!

    15. LMJ229
      April 14th, 2011 | 9:16 pm

      @ Raf:
      I agree with your point on Bernie, but where do you think Jeter will be by year three of this contract? With his diminished defense, speed, and power he might not even be worthy of being a platoon player.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.