• Uppity: My Untold Story About The Games People Play

Posted by on April 13th, 2011 · Comments (7)

On Monday, I read Bill White’s Uppity: My Untold Story About The Games People Play.

I’m not 100% sold that it was White’s voice that I was reading.  Nonetheless, it was a very entertaining and educational read.   (Maybe it was White’s voice?  If it was, he’s got an incredible ability to recall details and facts.  Everything in the book was spot on, as far as I could tell.  But, usually, when an autobiography is that replete and error-free, I always assume a crafty and astute co-author and/or editor did most of the heavy lifting.)

What I enjoyed most about this one was that it served, somewhat, like a baseball history primer for the period from the 1950′s through the 1990′s – with lot of inside insight and information – as well as a telling you, at times, what was going on around the country, in general.

Bill White led an incredible life and is an intelligent person – while also being a “man’s man.” Related, his story in “Uppity” is one that I would recommend to any baseball fan – and not just for Yankees fans.

Like I said, I read it in one day (while I was serving jury duty). And, it wasn’t out of boredom. I was enjoying it so much, that I just wanted to keep reading it…and, before I knew it, I read the whole thing in one sitting. There’s no higher compliment that I can give a book than that one.

Comments on Uppity: My Untold Story About The Games People Play

1. April 13th, 2011 | 9:53 pm

What did he have to say about The Boss? When Steinbrenner died, I remember that he kind of made it clear he didn’t like him.

2. April 13th, 2011 | 9:59 pm

He was OK with Big Stein. But, on the other hand, he hated Fay Vincent.

Actually, there’s an interesting story in the book about White and Stein going back to when Bill was in college. It was one I never heard before.

3. Evan3457
      April 13th, 2011 | 11:24 pm

If Bill White can get some credit, money, credibility, whatever, out of publishing his story, more power to him. I always liked him as a Yankee broadcaster; and thought he was the best of the trio.

April 14th, 2011 | 2:22 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

He was OK with Big Stein. But, on the other hand, he hated Fay Vincent.

I can see that. He didn’t leave the broadcast booth on bad terms, he just happened to have a nice gig lined up as a league president. With the way everything turned out, I can see why he had a dislike for Vincent. I’m sure White had no love lost for the owners as well.

5. April 14th, 2011 | 2:25 pm

Yup. Len Coleman and the owners wanted to give him a send off dinner and White told them, thanks, but, no thanks.

6. 77yankees
      April 14th, 2011 | 4:10 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I got a chuckle out of reading about their unwitting first meeting 20 years before Steinbrenner bought the Yankees. Total Steinbrenner for sure.

There’s also a great story about an equipment item given to White signed by one of the most famous teams in sports history. (No, it’s not Yankees related) Given its rare & historic nature, it has to be at least worth five figures and counting.

There are plenty of anecdotes about Scooter, some you may be familiar with but still humorous and poignant nonetheless.

And while there is only a small portion toward the end of the book touching on it, you may be surprised about how White views the steroid era in a historical context as someone who played the game in a previous era.

Simply put, this is a must read.

7. April 14th, 2011 | 4:13 pm

Also read it last week and agree it was an excellent book.