• Pedro Feliciano, Damaged Goods

Posted by on April 14th, 2011 · Comments (20)

Damaged goods
    Send them back
    I can’t work
    I can’t achieve
    Send me back
    Open the till
    Give me the change
    You said would do me good
    Refund the cost
    You said you’re cheap but you’re too much

Via Mark Feinsand -

Joe Girardi was intentionally vague when delivering the latest news on Pedro Feliciano after Wednesday’s game, but it wasn’t hard to read between the lines.

“He’s got a damaged shoulder,” Girardi said. “The MRI did not come back good. He has a damaged shoulder, he has a shoulder injury, and in fairness to the player, he needs to talk about it with our doctors and the agents and decide what the next course of action will be. That’s all I’m going to give you.”

That doesn’t sound very good, does it?

It certainly sounds like Feliciano is headed for surgery, likely knocking him out for the rest of this year. If it’s rotator cuff surgery, there’s a chance he won’t be effective next year, either, leaving his two-year, $8 million deal essentially useless.

I guess this makes a gang of forty for Cashman…

Alan Embree
    Sergio Mitre
    Steve Karsay
    Tanyon Sturtze
    Todd Williams
    and, Pedro Feliciano
    __________________

Update:

New York Yankees left-handed reliever Pedro Feliciano’s season is likely over. A dye MRI taken Wednesday afternoon revealed that Felciano has a torn capsule in his left shoulder, and he is leaning toward arthroscopic surgery, he told reporters before Thursday night’s game against the Baltimore Orioles. Before that he will get a second opinion from renowned physician Dr. James Andrews on Monday.

General manager Brian Cashman characterized the injury as “significant.”

“It is a Chien-Ming Wang-like issue,” Cashman said. “And he is still trying to come back with Washington. Some people can come back, but the odds are a lot more difficult.”

While with the Yankees, Wang had shoulder surgery in July 2009, and the former 19-game winner still hasn’t pitched in the majors.

If Feliciano does have to undergo surgery, which would take place some time next week, he would have to undergo a year of rehab. He said he would likely be ready for the start of spring training in mid-February.

“It’s really disappointing,” said Feliciano, who suffered the injury during his fourth appearance in spring training. “I love to pitch and I want to be a guy that pitches every day like I’ve been doing for the past three or four years. And now to be shut down for maybe a year, I don’t know how I’m gonna handle it. It’s gonna be hard.”

Feliciano said that if Andrews tells him he won’t need surgery, he could get a platelet rich plasma injection in his shoulder, wait a month or two and try to throw again. However, that seems unlikely.

“He’s a warrior and a competitor and now he can’t compete because of this injury he sustained when he was a member of the New York Yankees in spring training,” Cashman said.

That last line sounds like Cashman wants to collect on an insurance policy…assuming he had one on this signing.

Comments on Pedro Feliciano, Damaged Goods

April 14th, 2011 | 2:15 pm

So, is Girardi back to his old tricks again? I caught some of that post game presser where he was being vague. If he’s hurt, he’s hurt, it really isn’t that big a deal.

As for Cashman, did nothing show up in a physical?

2. Ryan81
      April 14th, 2011 | 4:17 pm

On a more positive note, can we stop pointing out the bad in our organization and embrace the fact that AJ Burnett has more wins than the Boston Red Sox?

3. 77yankees
      April 14th, 2011 | 4:18 pm

Ryan81 wrote:

Charlie Sheen has more wins than the Boston Red Sox. :-)

4. YankCrank
      April 14th, 2011 | 6:04 pm

Steve, how many of those 40 can you have actually named without looking up? I remember some, but guys like Osuna and Acevedo were completely erased from my memory.

5. #15
      April 14th, 2011 | 6:27 pm

@ Ryan81:
      He shoots. He scores. Good perspective.

6. LMJ229
      April 14th, 2011 | 8:45 pm

Ryan81 wrote:

LOL! Thanks for the laugh.

7. LMJ229
      April 14th, 2011 | 8:55 pm

Steve, I think that last comment by Cashman has less to do with an insurance policy than it does with Cashman trying to cover his ass. After ridiculing the Mets for overusing Feliciano, he obviously wanted to emphasize that Feliciano got hurt in spring training in order to deflect any criticism that might come his way for not doing his due diligence on Feliciano’s health.

8. LMJ229
      April 14th, 2011 | 8:57 pm

Hip-Hip-Jorge! :)

9. April 14th, 2011 | 9:09 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Excellent point.

10. MJ Recanati
      April 15th, 2011 | 8:10 am

If there’s one thing about Cashman I don’t like, it’s how he still believes spending money in free agency for bullpen arms makes any sense. Since Tom Gordon, I can’t remember the last time the Yankees got value for their money in free agent bullpen signings.

Now, is $8M over two years a big deal? Nope, not by a longshot. But if Cashman truly believed Feliciano was abused by the Mets then why did he sign him?

April 15th, 2011 | 8:35 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      I’m also curious about his physical, if anything showed up that would’ve thrown a red flag.

I didn’t mind the Feliciano signing, didn’t really care about his workload; 60 innings (more or less) isn’t excessive for a reliever.

April 15th, 2011 | 9:47 am
    13. LMJ229
      April 15th, 2011 | 9:48 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Exactly! Cashman actually threw himself under the bus on this one when he criticized the Mets.

14. LMJ229
      April 15th, 2011 | 9:52 am

Raf wrote:

Cashman defenders are already saying that ANY pitcher would show signs of wear and tear if you subject them to an MRI as part of their physical, which I don’t think the Yankees did in this case.

15. 77yankees
      April 15th, 2011 | 9:58 am

So know Cashman is telling us how Scott Proctor, Ron Villone, Paul Quantrill, Tom Gordon, Tanyon Sturtze were overused by Joe Torre?

Can I get a collective “Duh!” from the congregation????

And he’s now telling us how staunchly he was against their overuse back then and fought tooth and nail to prevent it.

Seems like he’s no longer about the New York Yankees, but it’s all about the Brian Cashman Agenda these days.

16. LMJ229
      April 15th, 2011 | 9:58 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

True, and we haven’t developed a true front-of-the-rotation starter since Petitte (unless you want to consider Wang, who I only half credit based on his lack of durability). I really don’t get all the love for Cashman on this site.

17. LMJ229
      April 15th, 2011 | 10:01 am

77yankees wrote:

That’s funny, my husband, who is a very objective observer of baseball, said the same exact thing yesterday when he heard of Cashman’s comments.

18. 77yankees
      April 15th, 2011 | 10:09 am

Question – I’m wondering what the rest of the crew thinks of this – is Cashman being more brazen now that Papa George has left us?

Sure, George wasn’t been a part of the decision making for several years prior to his passing due to his failing health. But it’s curious that Cashman is being the rebel more so now less than a year after The Boss’ passing.

Maybe Cashman is wary that the Sons of George and their two court jesters don’t have his back?

April 15th, 2011 | 10:13 am

77yankees wrote:

The thing is, they weren’t really overused.

April 15th, 2011 | 5:56 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

And before that? Ron Guidry.