• That Smell From Across Town Is…

Posted by on April 17th, 2011 · Comments (15)

…the Mets, at 4-11.

Think of all the things that Mets fans had to put up with since losing Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS. Talk about a franchise falling into the crapper. Wow.

By the way, for the record, since 1919, the Yankees have started a season 4-11 only twice:

Rk Tm Year #Matching W L
    1 NYY 1966 12 0 12 Ind. Games
    2 NYY 1925 11 0 11 Ind. Games
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Play Index Tool Used
    Generated 4/17/2011.

Comments on That Smell From Across Town Is…

1. 77yankees
      April 17th, 2011 | 8:17 am

At least Met fans have one thing to brag about at 4-11…….

Better record than the Red Sox. :-)

2. Scout
      April 17th, 2011 | 8:23 am

The thing is that Mets fans are used to this and seem even to enjoy their own suffering. In fact, they understand that if they want to see major league baseball, they have to go to the Bronx. It’s the natural order of the New York baseball universe. (And I am the kind of Yankee fan they detest — smug and superior.)

3. Jim TreshFan
      April 17th, 2011 | 9:57 am

My Met fan brothers tell me that the death watch has begun at Terry Collins’s bedside.

April 17th, 2011 | 10:04 am

77yankees wrote:

At least Met fans have one thing to brag about at 4-11…….
      Better record than the Red Sox.

LOL!

Jim TreshFan wrote:

Really? Did Mets fans honestly think that they were going to contend this year? Or did you mean death watch as in Collins going to have a heart attack for watching the Mets play?

At any rate, given the overall health of the franchise, it will be years before the Mets will be taken seriously as a contender.

5. Jim TreshFan
      April 17th, 2011 | 11:00 am

@ Raf:
      No, my brothers never seriously thought the Mets would be a contending team this year. But they did think the Mets would be a competitive team (big difference).

BTW, does anyone besides me remember 1966? IIRC we all though that ’65 was an aberration due to injuries, off-years and bad luck (although Tom Tresh had a great year :)), and that things would return to “normal” in 1966. What a wake up call that April was!

6. April 17th, 2011 | 1:57 pm

The Mets will have 50 seasons in the books at the conclusion of 2011, and if nothing else it has been a long strange trip. Winning a World Series without ever having a winning season. Twice (62-68) and (77-83)the Mets have run off streaks of seven straight losing seasons. They have appeared in more World Series than any of the 14 expansion teams, and in winning two have as many victories as any of the expansion teams. The team has had 18 seasons where they lost at least 90 games (6 of those seasons featured more than 100 loses).

The Mets are working on their third losing season in a row and based on what I see there is no easy fix in sight for 2012. If I were a Met fan I would be praying hard for new ownership.

7. April 17th, 2011 | 2:29 pm

@ Jim TreshFan:

I rooted for the Twins in the 65 World Series and started following both the Yankees and the Mets in 66. I considered myself more a Yankee fan than a Met fan (although I lived in the shadow of Shea Stadium).

I remember the 66 team very well, that was really the last good year Tresh had blasting 27 homers (although he only hit .233). My favorite players on the 66 team were Pedro Ramos, Steve Hamilton, Fritz Peterson, Mel Stottlemyre and of course Mantle and Ford and suprisingly the third string catcher Bill Bryan (hated the fact that Houk so seldom used him).

8. Scout
      April 17th, 2011 | 3:20 pm

@ Joseph Maloney:
      For me, those Yankee teams were symbolized best by Horace Clarke, their quintessentialy mediocre second baseman. I rooted for the players the Yankees advertised as the rising stars of the next generation — Roy White and Bobby Murcer. At least both had the chance to share in the return to glory in the mid-late 1970s.

April 17th, 2011 | 4:54 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Winning a World Series without ever having a winning season.

I don’t think I follow you?

10. Evan3457
      April 17th, 2011 | 7:04 pm

Now THIS is a team in real trouble.

11. Evan3457
      April 17th, 2011 | 7:07 pm

Raf wrote:

Joseph Maloney wrote:
      Winning a World Series without ever having a winning season.
      I don’t think I follow you?

He means that they won a title in 1969 without ever having had a winning season before that year; unique among all expansion teams, and all teams in general, I think.

12. MJ Recanati
      April 18th, 2011 | 7:59 am

Evan3457 wrote:

I think the Rays are the only other team besides the Mets to ever win a pennant (2008) without having had a winning season prior to the year in which they made it to a World Series.

13. MJ Recanati
      April 18th, 2011 | 8:01 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

If I were a Met fan I would be praying hard for new ownership.

Even with new ownership, it’ll take a few years to fix all the problems with the Mets. Their farm system is terrible and David Wright is their only good MLB player (maybe Ike Davis can be an average 1B). I can’t picture the Mets contending for at least another three-four years.

April 18th, 2011 | 8:31 am

Jim TreshFan wrote:

But they did think the Mets would be a competitive team (big difference).

If competitive, they mean “.500,” then I’d say the Mets can accomplish that. But I am under the impression that this will be a rebuilding year; I don’t see Reyes and Beltran lasting the season with them. With no help coming from the farm nor free agency, I wouldn’t expect too much from them this year nor the next few years.

@ Evan3457:
      Thanks, I didn’t make the connection there.

15. MJ Recanati
      April 18th, 2011 | 10:32 am

Raf wrote:

I don’t see Reyes and Beltran lasting the season with them.

I imagine Beltran will make it through the season because he’d have to be playing at a very high level to have much trade value. The Mets could pay his way out of town but what would they gain by doing that? He’s a free agent anyway.

As for Reyes, he’ll have plenty of trade value this year and I agree that the Mets will look to trade him. If I were them, however, I’d hang onto him. I know money is tight in Queens and I know that Sandy Alderson hates Reyes’s less-than-sterling OBP but I really think he’s being too dogmatic about that. It’s not often that 28 year old dynamic shortstops pass through an organization. The Mets will have a hard time replacing Reyes and I don’t know which team will pay a bounty in prospects to make it worth the Mets’ while…