• Hughes Going To See A Doctor

Posted by on April 25th, 2011 · Comments (7)

Per Jim Baumbach:

Phil Hughes’ bullpen session did not go well, Joe Girardi said, and he’s headed to see the team doctor.

I would not be surprised if the doc says there’s nothing wrong with you – outside of being a dough boy.  But, I could be wrong.

Comments on Hughes Going To See A Doctor

1. Corey Italiano
      April 25th, 2011 | 6:24 pm

Usually you get a layer of BS when someones struggling. This time, Girardi said they are real concerned…

We’re getting closer and closer to that dream team rotation you mentioned a few weeks ago, featuring Milwood, Silva, Garcia and Colon.

2. LMJ229
      April 25th, 2011 | 9:34 pm

There has got to be something medically wrong with him. Not sure what else it could be for a young guy like him unless his conditioning program really, really sucked.

3. Evan3457
      April 25th, 2011 | 10:08 pm

If he says he has numbness in his arm, one possible cause is a nerve impingement in his shoulder which would also result in “dead arm”.

Since J.R. Richard, if a player says he’s hurting, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Except for Carl Pavano.

4. April 26th, 2011 | 7:13 am

If I had to guess, I would say it’s either a shoulder tear or the lack of conditioning. Doubt it’s an elbow – unless there’s pain there that Hughes is not confessing about, etc.

Could it be something worse? Lupus? A tumor? An aneurysm? Well, I hope not…and suspect, if it was, he would be complaining about more general feelings of not being well, being tired, etc. – rather than offering the “dead arm” thing that he and the Yankees keep repeating.

April 26th, 2011 | 7:20 am

A lack of conditioning could manifest itself in other ways. Guess we’ll see in a few days.

6. April 26th, 2011 | 3:40 pm

Phil Hughes had 2 MRIs (shoulder, elbow) and a vascular test. No results yet. More tests tomorrow.

What could be left to test?

7. MJ Recanati
      April 26th, 2011 | 4:31 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

What could be left to test?

I presume they’ll do a full body physical tomorrow.