• Jimmy Breslin’s Branch Rickey

Posted by on May 2nd, 2011 · Comments (9)

Here’s the product description on this book via Amazon.com -

The idea of integrating baseball began as a dream in the mind of Branch Rickey. In 1947, as president and general manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers, he defied racism on and off the field to bring Jackie Robinson into the major leagues, changing the sport and the nation forever. Rickey’s is the classic American tale of a poor boy from Ohio whose deep-seated faith and dogged work ethic took him to the pinnacle of success, earning him a place in the Baseball Hall of Fame and in history.

Bestselling author and Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Jimmy Breslin is a legend in his own right. In his inimitable anecdotal style, he provides a lively portrait of Rickey and his times, including such colorful characters as Dodgers’ owner George V. McLaughlin (“dubbed George the Fifth” for his love of Scotch); diamond greats Leo Durocher, George Sisler, and Dizzy Dean; and Robinson himself, a man whose remarkable talent was equaled only by his resilience in the face of intolerance. Breslin brings to life the heady days when baseball emerged as the national pastime in this inspiring biography of a great American who remade a sport-and dreamed of remaking a country.

Back in September of last year, I was able to get an advance uncorrected proof of Breslin’s Branch Rickey and my first thought, before cracking the book open, was “What this going to tell me that I don’t already know?”  And, boy, was I surprised.

Breslin’s Branch Rickey was very informative – but also very entertaining. It’s a quick read – but, a very, good one.

I sort of forgot about this one since I had that chance to give it a sneak peek seven month ago. But, recently – last week? – I heard Mike Francesa reference it on WFAN in passing and that reminded me that I wanted to mention it here.

If you were on the fence about this one, like I was when it first hit my hand, jump over to the “check it out” side and read it. You will not be disappointed.

Comments on Jimmy Breslin’s Branch Rickey

May 2nd, 2011 | 3:39 pm

One thing I like about Breslin is that he’s a very good storyteller. I read “The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight” and couldn’t stop laughing. I’ve read a couple of other books. He’s definitely a NY character.

May 2nd, 2011 | 3:40 pm

*his* other books…

3. KPOcala
      May 2nd, 2011 | 10:13 pm

Hey Steve, since I’m a book rat and I fear for the trusses and joists of my house, question. Does the book have photos worth buying the hard copy or would kindle do? Thanks in advance.

PS
      If you haven’t read it over the years I strongly recommend “Earl Weaver on Strategy”. I think that besides being years ahead of his time (I hated him when he managed against The Team), he also gives insight into watching the game, i.e. what to look for when a pitcher is tiring, etc. I really wish that Cashman would have the stones to try out something amazing next year, like going to a four man rotation. Weaver has some very strong views on the subject….Just sayin’

May 3rd, 2011 | 7:29 am

KPOcala wrote:

I really wish that Cashman MLB would have the stones to try out something amazing next year, like going to a four man rotation.

FTFY :D

May 3rd, 2011 | 7:30 am

Guess the strikethrough code doesn’t work…

FAIL

6. May 3rd, 2011 | 9:16 am

@ KPOcala: Pretty sure it had some pictures. Would have to check later. But, not a ton of pictures. This is a small book. Probably not a crime to ebook it.

7. May 3rd, 2011 | 9:17 am

@ KPOcala:

BTW. I loved Earl Weaver on Strategy when I read it, when it first came out, a million years ago.

8. KPOcala
      May 3rd, 2011 | 10:10 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Steve thanks for the info on the book. Actually I think it was the Bronze Age when we would have read Weaver’s book ;)

9. KPOcala