• Father’s Day 2011 @ Wrigley Field

Posted by on May 4th, 2011 · Comments (9)

That’s when Derek Jeter will get his career 3,000th hit. At least, that’s what I’m guessing now. What do you think? When and where will the Captain get the magic milestone?

Comments on Father’s Day 2011 @ Wrigley Field

1. MJ Recanati
      May 4th, 2011 | 10:57 am

Hopefully he gets the milestone at home, in front of the fans that have supported him for two decades so that they can participate in the festivities also.

If he must get it on the road, I suppose doing it at Wrigley is pretty neat. It’s a great ballpark and the interleague play factor means that some folks that wouldn’t normally get to see Jeter will get to be a part of history that day.

The only other acceptable place would be at Fenway, so we could force New Englanders to actually be gracious (for a change).

2. 77yankees
      May 4th, 2011 | 7:36 pm

They’ll rest Jeter some time on that 6 game interleague trip to Chicago & Cincinnati if he gets to within single digits so he can do it at the Stadium.

After all, Frank N. Steiner Sports can’t sell those nose drop dispenser sized collections of Yankee Stadium dirt from the day Jeter got his 3000th hit for the low, low price of $499.95 if he does it in Chicago or Cincinnati.

3. Corey Italiano
      May 5th, 2011 | 11:07 am

Hope it is, that’s when I’ll be there.

4. MJ Recanati
      May 5th, 2011 | 12:02 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Hope it is, that’s when I’ll be there.

You’re going to be at Wrigley in June? Ever been before?

5. Corey Italiano
      May 5th, 2011 | 2:21 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Yep, and no I have never been. Figured the Yanks being in town was good enough reason to go. Also checking US Cellular Field on the list, as I’m going to see Cubs-White Sox too.

6. MJ Recanati
      May 5th, 2011 | 3:58 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Wrigley is fantastic, as is the area around the stadium. You’ll definitely enjoy it. All my college buddies live in Chicago since we went to school in the midwest so I’ve been a dozen times and am going again for my bachelor party in July.

The Cell (formerly known as New Comiskey) is a nice ballpark but nothing really stands out about it. The neighborhood down there is pretty much all residential but it’s south of downtown so there’s really nothing to do around there. Go so you can cross it off your list but, really, once you’ve been, you won’t need to go back.

Do you like fried chicken? If so, check out one of the number of Harold’s Chicken Shack locations dotted around the city (many on the south side, one near US Cellular). It’s not at all good for you but it’s ridiculously delicious and puts the national chains (KFC, Popeye’s, Church’s) to shame. Try their BBQ sauce. Jesus, that stuff is amazing.

7. Corey Italiano
      May 5th, 2011 | 4:15 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Yup. As most baseball fans, I just want to go to every park. And since I’m in Chicago already, why not?

8. Corey Italiano
      May 5th, 2011 | 4:17 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Cool, I’ll check it out.

May 6th, 2011 | 5:57 am

May as well have a deep dish pizza while you’re there too :D

Wrigley is nice, there is quite the scene around the ballpark; bars restaurants, etc. Comiskey, eh, not so much. The White Sox were out of town when I was there, so I just walked around the park and took some pics.