• When Was The Last Time Things Were This Messed Up In Yankeeland?

Posted by on May 15th, 2011 · Comments (18)

We have the Posada thing.  And, we have the team losing 8 of their last 11.  And, they’re set up to be swept by Boston at home.  And, we have so many players on the team not playing up to their reps and/or salary – albeit that not all are sucking and are playing semi-decent.  (See: Teixeira, Mark – who should be hitting more like Votto or Adrian Gonzalez than he is now.)  There’s a lot of things that are just flat-out messed up in Yankeeland right now.  You could say that they seem less organized than a dung fight at the monkey cage in the zoo.

When was the last time, during the regular season, that we saw this much out of control with the Yankees?  Yes, the 2006 ALDS was a low-point.  But, that was October.  When was the last time we saw this outside of the post-season spot-light?  1989 or 1990?  It does seem like a long time…unless I’m just forgetting something more recent.

Who is to blame for all this?  Cashman?  Girardi?  Both?  Neither?  What do you think?

Comments on When Was The Last Time Things Were This Messed Up In Yankeeland?

May 15th, 2011 | 8:20 am

Depends on what you define as “out of control”

0-8 to start off against the Red Sox in 2009?
      The injuries suffered during the 2007-08 season?
      Girardi’s 1st season as mgr?
      Verducci – Rodriguez SI article during the 2006 season?
      The Selena Roberts book – Alex Rodriguez-steroids fiasco?

2. redbug
      May 15th, 2011 | 9:08 am

@ Raf:

All good points but it seems like other than Granderson and the pitching staff, no one is getting it done for the last month. Meanwhile, you have the Yankees chattering to the nat’l TV audience about Posada last night, when they should’ve kept their mouths shut. Cashman’s signed a guy who had a stem cell procedure before the season to Cashman’s surprise. Hughes is gone for who knows how long. Morale seems very low.

Paging Andy Pettitte!

I think the Yanks are a mess. If I owned them, Cashman and Girardi would be on notice (and I wouldn’t whisper it to the media).

3. Greg H.
      May 15th, 2011 | 9:40 am

Although I don’t think it’s that out of control, it’s certainly not a lot of fun to watch a stretch like this. The pieces are there for this team, but they are not gelling and they’re not playing up to their potential in most aspects of the game. When that happens, everything else always gets magnified.

If there’s any good news right now it’s the date on the calendar.

I do agree that a couple roster changes might help. Montero definitely, possibly an arm as well. We’ll see.

4. jrk
      May 15th, 2011 | 10:16 am

redbug wrote:

Paging Andy Pettitte!

Can he hit?

5. Corey Italiano
      May 15th, 2011 | 10:51 am

The real hat will drop once midnight strikes on half of hour rotation..hopefully the hitting comes around by then.

6. JeremyM
      May 15th, 2011 | 10:53 am

Teixeira has really been a disappointment to me. Seems like he’s on the Jason Giambi career path, with better defense. Which isn’t the worst thing, but I was hoping for better. He seems to have mastered the art of getting a hitter’s count (2-0, 3-1) and popping up as well.

The Posada thing is just pathetic. I tried to explain it all to my wife and she gave me the same look I give her when I catch her watching “Jersey Shore” or something. “You spend time watching this crap?” I agree that Cashman could’ve handled his end better, but once Jorge was a late scratch, the questions started flying and the damage was done. I’m a Jorge fan, but if he’s stewing about batting order or not catching (for his own safety) instead of worrying about hitting, that’s a problem. The funny thing on Posada is Boston (or the Twins) would kill for that kind of production from their catcher right now. Heck, the Twins would sign up for Gustavo Molina right now I think.

7. Corey Italiano
      May 15th, 2011 | 11:13 am

JeremyM wrote:

I don’t get how you can complain…he’s hit well enough with more than stellar defense. He’s the best defensive 1B I’ve gotten a chance to see day in and day out in his prime.

Not everyone can put up A-Rod, Pujols in their prime type numbers…you know he’ll end up with upwards of 30 homers and drive in more than 100. I’ll take that everyday. Tex is not the problem here.

I mean…have you forgotten how it was when we had the likes of Rico Bergman, Andy Phillips, Josh Phelps, Craig Wilson, Travis Lee, Tony Clark manning first?

May 15th, 2011 | 11:14 am

redbug wrote:

Here’s the link to the infamous interview

Cashman really didn’t say anything out of line.

May 15th, 2011 | 11:16 am

“infamous” with tongue planted in cheek.

10. JeremyM
      May 15th, 2011 | 11:19 am

Steve, to answer your question, I think a lot of the blame goes on Cashman. Posada started the ball rolling and I don’t agree with his behavior, but it seems to me that after 16 years of him being a Yankee, Cashman could’ve minimized the issue. Instead, he amplified it. He did Posada and Girardi no favors. It almost seems like Cashman sees this as a way to get out of Posada’s contract, but maybe I’m crazy.

11. Corey Italiano
      May 15th, 2011 | 11:22 am

JeremyM wrote:

I highly doubt this will happen.

12. JeremyM
      May 15th, 2011 | 11:26 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      You’re probably right, looking at his numbers he’s above .900 in OPS right now. The batting average is down, but everything else is solid. This is why I shouldn’t post without checking emotions at the door…

13. JeremyM
      May 15th, 2011 | 11:27 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      I doubt it too, but there were rumblings out there about the contract. Could be baseless of course. They still owe him $10 million this season.

14. Corey Italiano
      May 15th, 2011 | 11:30 am

@ JeremyM:
      I could see him retiring before I see them releasing him. He’ll just be the 25th man on the roster.

May 15th, 2011 | 11:50 am

JeremyM wrote:

there were rumblings out there about the contract

I think it was only Rosenthal that bought it up. Mac & Buck ran with it.

16. EHawk
      May 15th, 2011 | 12:41 pm

A lot of the blame should be on Girardi…Frankly I’m tired of his act. He’s cost the team a few wins already this years with less then average coaching. Its a shame they gave him another contract cause I would love for him to get the Ax! Yanks need to start as a team like they did early on…it will happen lets just hope they can start with a win tonight and then sweep the Rays.

17. May 15th, 2011 | 6:42 pm

@ EHawk:

I think Girardi has done a fine job.The Yankees are short on pitching, very short. The talent on the roster is the responsibility of the GM not Girardi. His two corner outfielders and his 4th outfielder combined have about the same stats as Melky, remember him. What do you want him to do about any of that? Cashman signed Jorge to a four year contract not Girardi. What do you want him to do bench him and his 13 million dollar contract? If he did bench Jorge what’s the next move at DH.

This comes down to one simple point, the talent is just not there. Before the Yanks signed Soriano, I thought they could range from 79 to about 85 vicories, after maybe 85 to 88 victories.

18. nwyank
      May 16th, 2011 | 1:02 pm

I dunno about Tex; he’s a .250 hitter who flashes occasional power against bad pitching. Big reputation but tends to disappear at critical times. Used to be a .300 hitter. What happened?
      Sabathia: not the shutdown pitcher he was just a few years ago. Lost a few mph on his fastball. Still nice to have him but he looks much more hitable.
      Wish the farm system was stocked w/ lefties instead of righties who throw low 90′s with average 2ndary stuff. A young Pettitte, or Hamels, or Kershaw, or Lee, or even Jason Vargas for goodness sake!
      Girardi is fine. Some of his players are not.