• A-Rod To Have Hip Examined This Week

Posted by on May 18th, 2011 · Comments (12)

Via John Harper -

The two home runs Tuesday night would have been plenty for Alex Rodriguez if they merely snapped his horrendous slump. But perhaps more significantly, they seemed to ease any concern he may have had that his surgically repaired right hip was becoming an issue for him again.

“I finally felt like I had my legs under me again,” was the way he put it. “I feel a lot better about the whole thing.”

That surely goes tenfold for the Yankees. Considering their various problems these days, they probably can’t win anything without a lot of nights like this from Rodriguez, whose two solo shots off James Shields sparked the 6-2 win over the Rays.

For A-Rod, the timing was perfect. Earlier in the day, a Yankee source had said the Yankee third baseman was “very concerned” that his hip was the reason he had looked lost at the plate for some three weeks, preventing him from using his legs as he normally would to start his swing.

Rodriguez didn’t admit to that level of concern when asked about it before the game, saying “I don’t want to speculate on that.” But he did say that his “lower half” was not reacting as it should, and admitted there were similarities to the way the hip was reacting in 2009 when a tear was discovered in the labrum of his right hip.

“The hip is funny,” A-Rod said before the game. “It’s not really something that is tangible. It’s almost more of a delayed reaction when I swing the bat.”

He likened it somewhat to the feeling he had two years ago, saying, “You would fire (the lower body), and then the hip would fire. It was almost like it wasn’t in sync.

“Again, I don’t want to speculate, but if it continues, I want to make sure everything is OK.”

After the game, A-Rod said he would still get his hip examined when he returns to New York on Friday, but said it was more standard procedure than anything.

“It’s something I’ve got to stay on top of,” he said. “But that delayed reaction I talked about wasn’t there tonight, and I felt like I had my leg kick under control.”

Oh, what the heck? How about a song?

Comments on A-Rod To Have Hip Examined This Week

1. Corey Italiano
      May 18th, 2011 | 4:46 pm

This drives me up the wall.

Originally, A-Rod was hurt and didn’t say anything all offseason until the first day of Spring Training. Then he goes in for a partial surgery, where the doctor and all agreed that this would get him through the year and that he’d need a second surgery in the end. He still misses a good chunk of the season. Then he plays through, and doesn’t need the surgery or so it seems. And now, here we are, a year later, midseason and the hips barking.

Why the hell wouldn’t you get it done completely in the first place?

2. May 18th, 2011 | 9:16 pm

What bothers me:

I have all the respect in the world for the school of batting mechanics, etc. But, that said, I think A-Rod is FOS with this story of his body and swing relationship being as delicate and complicated as creating a low energy nuclear reaction.

A-Rod, just STFU and HIT THE BALL. See: Gibson, Kirk, 1988 World Series.

Greatness is not the absence of challenges. Greatness is being challenged and getting it done anyway.

3. May 18th, 2011 | 9:43 pm

Speaking of A-Rod, what the hell was he doing in the 6th inning today? I cannot recall the last time I’ve seen someone thrown out at 2nd base, by an OF, by that many feet before. What was he out by, 20 feet?

4. LMJ229
      May 18th, 2011 | 10:41 pm

What bullshit. Just man up and admit that you are in a slump. Don’t blame it on the hip. Wasn’t he supposed to be in the best shape of his life when he came to spring training? This is typical “don’t blame me” A-Rod. It reminds me of Clemens. He’d get shelled and then he’d say “I felt good out there. I thought I pitched fine.” These guys are so full of themselves that they can never admit to failure.

May 19th, 2011 | 12:25 am

Nothing wrong with Rodriguez being concerned about his hip. Wouldn’t be the first athlete to favor a body part, nor will he be the last.

6. Evan3457
      May 19th, 2011 | 1:27 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

What bothers me:
      A-Rod, just STFU and HIT THE BALL. See: Gibson, Kirk, 1988 World Series.

So what you’re saying here is that Kirk Gibson is great, and A-Rod is not.

Or are you?

7. #15
      May 19th, 2011 | 7:23 am

Shouldn’t the song have been The Hippy Hippy Shake?

Seems like nonsense to me. He didn’t look like he was concerned about it when he went to third base on the botched pick-off at 2nd base. That is, he’s not reacting like his hip is a concern.

8. MJ Recanati
      May 19th, 2011 | 8:24 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      @ LMJ229:
      Considering the guy has never asked out of a game and has always toughed out the various ailments that have come his way, I don’t see a real reason to doubt Rodriguez’s legitimate concern about his surgicaally-repaired hip.

Wouldn’t he be in a position to know whether something feels off or not? I fail to understand how you (Steve) can spend much of the winter speculating as to whether Rodriguez will ever be the same player again with a potentially troublesome hip condition and then, when he potentially confirms your own questions about his condition, you doubt the very questions you originally posited.

May 19th, 2011 | 8:46 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

A-Rod, just STFU and HIT THE BALL.

He’ll STFU when the media stops asking him questions.

10. MJ Recanati
      May 19th, 2011 | 9:53 am

Raf wrote:

He’ll STFU when the media stops asking him questions.

LOL, yep. If you’re going to ask him questions but then ignore, discount or dismiss his answers then aren’t you a fool for asking them in the first place?

11. May 19th, 2011 | 10:05 am

@ MJ Recanati:

I can’t help but agree with you wholeheartedly. Let the man continue to dissect himself and make sure he isn’t injured.

Speaking of the hip issue, Corey, wasn’t the hip only a partial surgery because he and the Yankees wanted him to come back sooner to help the team? He only missed one month of the season, instead of one or two additional months, the Yankees were 13-15 in his absence, and well… they DID win the World Series, didn’t they?

Imagine how the Yankees would have been without A-Rod going into June or July. Would they even have made the playoffs without his production and protection in the line-up for Teixeira?

12. Corey Italiano
      May 19th, 2011 | 12:00 pm

@ Brent:
      It’s hard to say that the Yanks wouldn’t have won the series with A-Rod shelved however much longer it would have been. To be fair, they would have needed to lose an extra 17 games on the year in order to miss the playoffs in ’09.

With A-Rod gone longer, they might have tried to get someone instead of trotting Ransom out there. In which case, they may not have been as bad as they were to start the year. Who knows what would have happened.