• I Went To Bed After 12 Innings

Posted by on May 18th, 2011 · Comments (14)

So, how did it end?

Comments on I Went To Bed After 12 Innings

1. LMJ229
      May 18th, 2011 | 10:31 pm

Well its the 14th inning now and I am still suffering through this one. This team is making me sick – literally! This game has had the feel of a loss for several innings now so why the hell am I still watching? I guess I’m just a glutton for punishment.

2. LMJ229
      May 18th, 2011 | 10:53 pm

Hallelujah, praise God we finally scored!!! I should go to bed now while I am happy …

3. Evan3457
      May 18th, 2011 | 11:16 pm

Yanks WIN!!
      They win the damm game!!

==============================================
      Top 15th: Tex singles, A-Rod singles him to 2nd. O’s bring Gonzalez to pitch to 3 lefties: Cano, Dickerson, Gardner. Cano hits first pitch FB down the middle for a 2 run triple to right center to give Yanks 3-1 lead. Then, all hell breaks loose…

Gonzalez blows cookies, hits Dickerson in helmet bill on next pitch. Ump assumes intent, ejects him. O’s out of pitchers, bring in tomorrow’s scheduled starter Guthrie. AJ Burnett comes in to pinch run, as Yanks have only Posada on bench. Gardner hits sac fly to make it 4-1. Nunez pops up. Martin hits into force to end inning, with AJ declining to show up anywhere near 2nd base (smartest move he’s made in years).

Bottom of 15th: Nunez to right for Dickerson. Jeter to short. Yanks lose DH, but who cares?

Markakis singles to right. Snyder walks to put runners on 1st and 2nd, 0 outs. Yanks get a break, as Scott smacks a pitch away on a line, but Gardner comes in to get it. Runners hold. Yanks get an ENORMOUS break, as Wieters hard grounder hits Snyder in the left leg as he tries to leap out of the way, preventing a probable RBI single, and 1st and 3rd with 1 out. Hardy flies out to NUNEZ in right to end it.

Noesi gets 1st win with a great great relief job.
      ==================================================
      Geez; that game took at least 6 months off my life.

4. MJ Recanati
      May 19th, 2011 | 8:12 am

Evan3457 wrote:

As I saw it happening, I couldn’t believe my eyes how lucky that break was. Then again, all it takes is a little bit of luck to start breaking out of a horrendous funk like the one the team was in for two weeks…

Evan3457 wrote:

Noesi gets 1st win with a great great relief job.

His final two innings of work were generally poor but, under the circumstances, it was a great effort overall.

May 19th, 2011 | 8:49 am

What was the deal with Gonzalez vs Dickerson? I didn’t see the game so I don’t know. Was Gonzalez mad? Seems off; even though he gave up a triple, I don’t see any pitcher getting cheesed to the point where they’d throw at someone, though stranger things have happened.

6. bfriley76
      May 19th, 2011 | 9:24 am

@ Raf:
      I know the ump tossed him, but it really just looked like the pitch got away from him. Scary, since it was at his head, but I doubt it was intentional.

7. Jim TreshFan
      May 19th, 2011 | 9:47 am

On a side note: Rivera’s appearnce in last night’s game was the 999th of his carreer. There have been 14 pitchers who have appeared in 1,000 or more games with Goose Gossage (1,002) ranking 14th. The top three are all lefties, Jesse Orosco (1,252), Mike Stanton (1,178), and John Franco (1,119), followed by Hall of Famers Dennis Eckersley (1,071) and Hoyt Wilhelm (1,070). Trevor Hoffman (1,035) is currently 9th. I don’t know where Rivera will end up on this list, but he should pass both Wilhelm and Eckersley before he’s done.

8. MJ Recanati
      May 19th, 2011 | 9:55 am

Raf wrote:

There was nothing up. The ball just got away from Gonzalez and it hit Dickerson in a place that made the action look much worse than it really was.

In my opinion — even with Buck Showalter’s history and with what happened to Russell Martin back on 4/23 — there was absolutely no intent. Wieters was set up outside, the game was still within reach and Gonzalez was the last reliever in the bullpen. All that adds up to Gonzalez just losing his control and the ump jumping to conclusions.

9. #15
      May 19th, 2011 | 10:52 am

From what I saw, Gonzalez just over threw the pitch, muffed his release point and it got away from him. I didn’t read intent into what I saw.

10. MJ Recanati
      May 19th, 2011 | 11:02 am

#15 wrote:

Pretty much what I saw too.

11. Corey Italiano
      May 19th, 2011 | 12:02 pm

Anyone got any video of the HBP? I missed it last night and can’t seem to find it.

12. #15
      May 19th, 2011 | 2:44 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      I’m sure it’ll get some play tonight.

Kind of scary. Dickerson laid out on the ground, almost face down, not moving much for a tense several moments. He didn’t move once the trainers got there, but they may have been advising him to lie still. When he got up, he had a gumball-sized knot by his left eye-temple area; not sure how that happened. As the ball approached, he dipped his head and took the ball largely on the bill of the helmet (which cracked) and near the right side of his forehead. When he finally got to his feet he looked okay. Walked to first base, with Gino, under his own power before they decided to pull him.

My recollection is the standard MLB helmet is good to ~ 75 to 80 MPH on a flush hit. The newer, bulkier versions to 100 MPH. While they make you look like your own bobble head doll, bet he wishes he had the newer style helmet on last night.

I’m reminded of the Phil McKonkey story where, after getting his bell rung hard on a punt return for the Giants, he was escorted off the field. After about 10 minutes he asked the trainer if he should call his wife to let her know he was okay? The trainer responded… “Phil, you’re not married.”

13. MJ Recanati
      May 19th, 2011 | 4:02 pm

#15 wrote:

HAHAHA! I didn’t know that story!

14. 77yankees
      May 19th, 2011 | 8:55 pm

Priceless highlight of the night was Bartolo giving that baseball to the little kid with the cotton candy by the dugout after he got lifted. I think the kid’s mom was more excited than he was – LOL.