• Players With 16+ HR In Yankees First 45 Games Of A Season

Posted by on May 23rd, 2011 · Comments (18)

Curtis Granderson hit his 16th HR of the year yesterday – in the Yankees 45th game of the season.  Prior to this, how many other Yankees have hit 16+ HR within the team’s first 45 games of the year?  Here’s the list:

Rk Player Year #Matching   PA HR 6
    1 Mickey Mantle 1956 17 Ind. Games 77 20
    2 Babe Ruth 1930 16 Ind. Games 81 19
    3 Babe Ruth 1928 15 Ind. Games 67 19
    4 Alex Rodriguez 2007 15 Ind. Games 74 18
    5 Tino Martinez 1997 14 Ind. Games 70 17
    6 Babe Ruth 1921 16 Ind. Games 73 16
    7 Babe Ruth 1927 15 Ind. Games 75 16
    8 Babe Ruth 1926 14 Ind. Games 62 16
    9 Roger Maris 1960 13 Ind. Games 57 16
    10 Alex Rodriguez 2005 12 Ind. Games 55 16
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Play Index Tool Used
    Generated 5/23/2011.

That’s pretty crazy company for the Grandy Man, ain’t it. So, is he the next Roger Maris?

I don’t know the answer.  But, to be candid, if Granderson had been traded to the Red Sox instead of the Yankees and, all of a sudden, starting blasting homeruns at a Ruthian pace, I’d probably be on the front of the line of those demanding that someone gets him to pee in a cup.

Maybe Curtis’ 2011 is a lot like Ryne Sandberg’s 1990 – just one of those HR spike years at age 30?  In any event, it will be interesting to see if Granderson keeps up his pace this season.  Can he hit 50 HR this year?  If he keeps cranking them out at his current rate, he’ll clear that with no problem.

Comments on Players With 16+ HR In Yankees First 45 Games Of A Season

1. May 23rd, 2011 | 9:15 am

How’s Austin Jackson doing these days?

2. MJ Recanati
      May 23rd, 2011 | 9:28 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Honest question: do you think Toronto’s Jose Bautista is similarly juicing? His sudden power surge is attributed to an adjustment in his swing. Granderson’s improvement has been similarly credited to an adjustment in his swing.

In this day and age I have no reason to believe that all players aren’t open to using science to help them on the playing field so it certainly wouldn’t shock me to learn that Granderson was doing something potentially against MLB’s drug policy. Then again, he does not appear to have changed his physique in any way to make me suspect him more than others.

3. MJ Recanati
      May 23rd, 2011 | 9:33 am

Brent wrote:

How’s Austin Jackson doing these days?

.230/.286/.354 (80 OPS+). He’s got 3 HR in 196 PA, however. Last year he hit only 4 HR in 675 PA so there does appear to be a hint of development going on amidst this horrendous start to his second year.

4. May 23rd, 2011 | 9:36 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

@ Steve Lombardi:

First, I never said that Granderson was using PEDs. Do NOT even ATTEMPT to put those words in my mouth.

Second, I would not be shocked, at all, if Bautista was found to be using some form of PED (HGH?) that they’re not testing for at this time. What he did last year and is doing this year in Bonds-like. And, you just don’t start doing that, at his age, and with his background, out of the blue because you changed your swing or stance.

5. Jim TreshFan
      May 23rd, 2011 | 9:43 am

Shades of Ernie Lombardi!

Now THAT’S a name for you! In 1945 Lombardi, age 37, was playing for the New York Giants. On June 3rd of that year the Gothams played their 42nd game of the year and Lombardi cracked out his MLB leading 13th HR—Vince DiMaggio and Vern Stephens were tied for second most with 8. It was a dizzy pace for “Schnozz” (as he was known) as up to that point in his career his seasonal high for HRs was 20.
      The Giants lost that day but maintained their hold on 1st place in the NL by 3 1/2 games, and Ernie Lombardi looked every bit the League’s MVP. Just how many homeruns would Lombardi hit that year? He was on a pace for about 48. Okay, maybe not that many; but probably more than 30, and certainly more—much more—than his previous high of 20, right? Right?

Now another New Yorker is banging out HRs at about the same rate with his team in 1st place.

And another Lombardi is raising the question: How many?

6. MJ Recanati
      May 23rd, 2011 | 9:43 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I never said that you said that. Relax, I was trying to ask a simple question because of the similarity of the two players’ rate of success this year.

I personally think Bautista is using something for reason you cite: he had never shown any of this at any other time in his career and it’s hard to imagine that a simple swing adjustment would unlock plus-plus power that had never been projected before. That being said, he doesn’t appear to be physically altered either so it could just be that he’s clean.

7. May 23rd, 2011 | 9:58 am

FWIW, I remember on 2/16/10 and 2/17/10, people raving about a photo of Curtis Granderson shagging in ST without his uniform top on, going nuts about how pumped and ripped he was in his, IIRC, UnderArmor shirt. It’s really hard to tell who is in shape, or not, when it comes to baseball uniform shirts. They hide a lot – esp for the guys, like Grandy, who wear them baggy.

8. May 23rd, 2011 | 10:03 am

One reason why I would stronly suggest why Grandson is NOT using PEDs: Look at his BA and OBP. Yes, he’s hitting more HR. But, in terms of overall improvement as a hitter, he hasn’t gone from so-so to god-like. I really think the surge in HR for Curtis is much like that of what happened for Roger Maris. It’s just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, etc.

9. MJ Recanati
      May 23rd, 2011 | 10:59 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Ripped is different than adding bulk. Alfonso Soriano was skinny as a stringbean but he had very defined muscles.

I agree that I don’t think Grandy’s doing anything extra-curricular but, in this day and age, you just never know.

10. May 23rd, 2011 | 11:01 am

How many HRs do you think Granderson will end up with? I would say he will temper off and end with 30 homers (just like 2009).

11. MJ Recanati
      May 23rd, 2011 | 11:06 am

Brent wrote:

I’d guess between 28-38. I know that’s kind of a wide range but I don’t see him going much higher than that.

12. May 23rd, 2011 | 11:13 am

Brent wrote:

Given his total to date, and the amount of games left, he has to hit between 40 and 45 this year. If he doesn’t, then he really tanked.

13. Jim TreshFan
      May 23rd, 2011 | 12:09 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I don’t agree. Nobody talks about how badly Lombardi tanked in 1945. And what about Bobby Murcer in 1973? Bobby Ray hit 18 HRs in the first 92 games of that season and just 4 over the last 70. But nobody remembers that.

14. May 23rd, 2011 | 12:45 pm

@ Jim TreshFan: But, John Sterling says the Grandy Man can!

May 23rd, 2011 | 1:06 pm

Brent wrote:

How’s Austin Jackson doing these days?

Tongue planted in cheek? :D

May 23rd, 2011 | 1:12 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

It would not shock me either, but looking at the pitches that he’s hitting out, I’m not surprised that he has as many HR’s as he does.

May 23rd, 2011 | 1:18 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Even so, it’s hard to tell; I’ve had teammates who were strong like bull, but they were built more like Adrian Adonis than the Greek God Adonis.

To add to that, one of the appeals of adding Granderson to the team was that he was going from Comerica to Yankee Stadium, a stadium much friendlier to LHB’s. Of course it should be noted that Granderson has an equal H/R HR split.

18. MJ Recanati
      May 23rd, 2011 | 2:36 pm

Raf wrote:

I still can’t understand why teams are pitching him anything but soft stuff low and away. Make him prove that he can hit the low-and-slow junk.