• Too Bad Times Two

Posted by on May 23rd, 2011 · Comments (6)

My son had a Little League game this evening.  So, we were out of the house at five-thirty and didn’t get home until close to eight.  When we got in, I turned on the Yankees game and it was the bottom of the 4th inning.  A-Rod was just in the process of striking out.

I had some work things that I needed to address – since I logged off at five today.  And, we had to get the kids tucked away in bed, etc.  By that time, it was close to eight-forty-five.  I took another peek at the Yankees game and it was the top of the 6th inning.  Colon was just in the process of giving Juan Rivera an IBB.  Sure, the bases were then loaded - and it was a one-one game – but the Yankees were just a DP away from getting out of it.

In any event, my wife and I wanted to watch the finale of House – which we had recorded.  As a result, I gave up on the Yankees game until I had another chance to tune in.

That would come just before ten o’clock.  When I switched to YES, I saw Yankee Stadium looking like a ghost town.  Seeing all those empty seats in the bleachers and the field level, and without knowing what the score was, I figured something terrible had happened – and it was a blow-out in the Jays favor.

Frank Francisco was warming for the Jays and it was the top of the 9th inning.

And, then, they showed the score:  7-3, Jays.

WTF?

A four-run game at 10 pm?  That’s not a huge hole or a late hour?  Where the heck was everyone?  It’s pretty warm out now – and not raining.  I don’t get it?

I wanted to see the Yankees come back and tie this one in the 9th.  I wanted to see it because I’m a Yankees fan.  But, tonight, even more, I wanted to see it so that all those who left this game before it was over would be kicking themselves after they heard about the comeback.

But, it didn’t happen.  Gardner did his job.  And, Granderson had that loud foul.  But, that was all that the Yankees could muster in the end.  Too bad.

And, it’s too bad about what’s become to the Yankee Stadium crowd.  They get there late.  They leave early.  And, in between, half of them are inside doing things other than watching the game.  Add all that to the fact that the upper decks are farther from the field, which means less surround sound at the games, and it’s a totally different ballgame than it was at the old Stadium.

Comments on Too Bad Times Two

1. Evan3457
      May 23rd, 2011 | 11:48 pm

The House That Trost and Levine Built

2. Scout
      May 24th, 2011 | 7:26 am

Count me among the fans who find the new Yankee Stadium to be a pale copy of the old one and lacking much of the charm of other new ball parks that use a retro feel to much better effect.

3. Garcia
      May 24th, 2011 | 7:40 am

I love the new stadium. I love leaving my seat – usually around the 4th inning – to walk around the park, see all the people, and simultaneously see the game, the entire thing is a lot of fun. People watching is always fun. I never leave early, that rule will never change for me. Now because the good seats are so expensive, I just use the cheap seats to get in to the park and after that anything is possible. My favorite spot is to go and stand between 3rd and home plate, at the 100 level, and watch the game. You could never do that at the old Yankee stadium.

At first I missed the old stadium, but as I started doing this more and more, I found the new stadium to be way better than the old. Yeah it’s commercial, yeah it’s more expensive, but you do get what you pay for and you can get a much better deal if you just get up and walk around. You know, Steve, that exercise thing you preach about.

In the old stadium, and more so when the Yanks sucked, you’d smell those funny smelling cigarettes in certain parts of Yankee stadium, on or about 1999 that all stopped. I realize now that’s when the old stadium died for me. IMHO. After that, it was a different kind of fan that started going there and that’s cool, just another reminder that the only constant is change.

May 24th, 2011 | 1:07 pm

Garcia wrote:

Yep, that was around the time (if not a little earlier; the years are starting to run together) they cleaned up the bleachers.

5. redbug
      May 24th, 2011 | 5:48 pm

I think it was around 2000, I sat way up near the 3rd base foul pole and had a bunch of NYPD cops sitting nearby. I was shocked to smell those funny smelling cig’s. Then, I thought, well only in NY! Great times!

6. LMJ229
      May 24th, 2011 | 11:46 pm

I love the new stadium. Really, everything about it is better, except for the acoustics. The old stadium was much louder so that is disappointing but it is also to be expected with the open design.

I don’t know what the deal is with the empty seats other than to surmise that it is very expensive to go to the games ($31 for parking!) and the economy has taken its toll on the fans. As for the fans leaving early, I think its just a matter of apathy. You know, the Yanks didn’t really start drawing big like this until the mid-to-late 90s. Check out their attendance in the 70s and 80s. The Mets probably outdrew them for a number of those years. Yankee fans have gone through stages in the past where they didn’t show up to the games (that’s why George was threatening to move them to NJ) so this is nothing new. It’s all cyclical.