• June 16th & Jeter’s 3,000th

Posted by on May 25th, 2011 · Comments (7)

If Derek Jeter doesn’t get his 3,000th career hit by June 16th, the odds are strong that it will not be happening at Yankee Stadium. (I’m still thinking June 18th will be the day, if anyone is asking.)

The Yankees visit the Cubs from June 17th through 19th and the Reds from June 20th through 22nd.  And, there’s no way the Yankees would sit Jeter for those six games to allow that milestone to happen in the Bronx.  (Jeter would flip if they did that.)

If it happened in Cincy that would really burn the Reds – since they opted to pass on Jeter in the draft and take Chad Mottola instead (as documented in Ian O’Connor’s book.)

In any event, as a Yankees fans, would this bother you?  There’s never been a 3,000-hit player in Yankees history.  And, I think it would be special to have it happen at the Stadium.

Of course, Jeter could get red-hot and the event could come on the Yankees homestand of June 7th through 16th.  But, I couldn’t count on that.

Comments on June 16th & Jeter’s 3,000th

May 25th, 2011 | 10:49 am

I was making plans to head there the 16th, I think that’s a day game vs the Rangers. I guess I better firm up those plans.

2. LMJ229
      May 25th, 2011 | 10:54 am

He just needs to get a little hot to do it against the Rangers June 14-16. I really hope he gets it done at home.

3. LMJ229
      May 25th, 2011 | 10:55 am

@ Raf:
      You’d better Raf, that’s gonna be a tough ticket to get.

4. MJ Recanati
      May 25th, 2011 | 11:20 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

In any event, as a Yankees fans, would this bother you? There’s never been a 3,000-hit player in Yankees history. And, I think it would be special to have it happen at the Stadium.

It would be nice for the fans to witness Jeter’s 3000th hit in person but, no, of course it shouldn’t bother fans if the 3000th hit comes on the road.

5. RockyTopYankee
      May 25th, 2011 | 5:29 pm

Yeah, it would be special to do it at the Stadium, but I’m hoping he does it on the road. June 21 in Cincy to be exact – I’ll be at that game, one of the rare games I can go to living far from NY. That would be really special for me and my son.

6. 77yankees
      May 26th, 2011 | 10:24 pm

I’m looking forward to it, because it may be a once in a lifetime occurrence. Nobody in the 3,000 hit club even has gotten the majority of their hits as a Yankee and certainly nobody has gotten their 3,000th as a Yankee.

With 24 hits left to go and 19 games before that six game road trip sandwiched between ten and six game homestands, it looks dicey unless Jeter either goes very hot or cold the next couple weeks.

If he’s still say, 9-10 hits away going into the three game Texas series at home, I could see Jeter being rested a game during that series and another during the road trip at Wrigley & Cincinnati – setting him up to do it during the Colorado or Milwaukee series at the end of June.

7. May 27th, 2011 | 8:36 am

I’ll be at one of those Rockies games. Oh, would that be sweet…