• A-Rod Caught Traveling With Banned Mule Cousin

Posted by on June 2nd, 2011 · Comments (61)

Via Mark Feinsand

Major League Baseball is once again investigating Alex Rodriguez’s relationship with the cousin he admitted two years ago was his steroid mule.

According to a team source, Rodriguez’s cousin, Yuri Sucart, is again traveling with Rodriguez on some road trips, despite being banned by the Yankees from any team-related function or facility. That edict followed A-Rod’s 2009 claim that Sucart provided and injected him with performance-enhancing drugs. Sucart, wearing a Yankee hooded sweatshirt, was spotted at the team’s St. Regis Hotel in San Francisco Tuesday night after the middle game of the Bombers’ series with Oakland. The source also said Sucart has accompanied A-Rod on road trips this year and even last season.

Sucart was spotted chauffeuring A-Rod around in spring training in ’09, prompting the Yankees to ban Sucart from team flights, buses and in restricted areas at stadiums and spring training sites.

“We have been in contact with the Yankees about this matter,” Rob Manfred, baseball’s executive VP of labor relations, told the Daily News Wednesday. “We are looking into it.”

Major League Baseball instituted its own ban of personal trainers and non-team employees before the 2003 season – in part as a security measure in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and in part because clubhouses were rife with personal trainers and hangers-on. The ban does not extend to team hotels nor does it prevent people such as Sucart from purchasing a ticket to a game and watching as a spectator.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman would not comment on the matter when reached at his Stadium office Wednesday.

A-Rod needs a “go-fer.” I get that – especially in today’s paparazzi times. Heck, this is nothing new, actually. Even Dracula needed Reinfeld.

And, A-Rod wants to help his primo by giving him a job – especially after Alex threw him under the bus with the Selena Roberts thing. I get that too.

But, dude, buy your cousin a frozen banana stand on the boardwalk so that he can pay his bills. And, hire someone else to be your butler. This move, of using Yuri Sucart, is just plain stupid.

And, it’s, once again, A-Rod thinking that he’s so big that the rules don’t apply to him – even when the rules were written for him. Gosh, I will celebrate the day this hiney-clown is no longer a member of the New York Yankees.

Comments on A-Rod Caught Traveling With Banned Mule Cousin

1. K-V-C
      June 2nd, 2011 | 6:18 pm

This is yet another lets bash A-roid for nothing story.

The cousin hasn’t been in the clubhouses, on the field or any other “baseball” facility.

MLB executive vice president of player relations Rob Manfred said “We’ve talked to the Yankees and they’ve assured us the prohibition has been respected.”

There is no way MLB can control the hotel or where A-Roid wants to hang out with his FAMILY.

2. Evan3457
      June 2nd, 2011 | 11:56 pm

I was going to comment on this, but everything I would’ve said has been said by someone, and events outstripped the need to say anything…

…well, it’s possible A-Rod’s paying Yuri a lot of money because he owes him big time for standing there and taking the hit when A-Rod put the blame on him as his supplier in his steroid confession, or, possibly, to keep Yuri quiet about other things, worse things he might know that haven’t been revealed publicly yet. But this is sheer speculation on my part, attempting to invent a reason for what would seem to be yet another p.r. mistake by A-Rod.

In any event, MLB has investigated and it satisfied, the Yankees have no objections, so as far as I’m concerned, this is now a non-issue.

3. June 3rd, 2011 | 12:24 am

redbug wrote:

@ lisaswan: “Jeter whined about the SI list like a guy with no sense of humor. Nobody else made as big a stink about the list than he did. Not even Jonathan Papelbon. I know that comes as a shock to those of you who, to use your word, “genuflect” at the feet of Jeter, but it’s true.”
      Lisa, will you pls provide a link(s) to Jeter Making “a big stink” about the SI list?

From http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110531&content_id=19840146&notebook_id=19840926&vkey=notebook_nyy&c_id=nyy:

Jeter — who coincidentally was SI’s Sportsman of the Year two years ago — was clearly not amused by the magazine’s suggestion.

4. redbug
      June 3rd, 2011 | 6:50 am

@ Brent:“We’re doing this again? I’m focused on more positive things,” said Jeter, who added that he did not participate. “I’ve never understood those anonymous polls.”

Unless someone can cite something else Jeter said, this doesn’t amount to “Jeter whined about the SI list like a guy with no sense of humor. Nobody else made as big a stink” as Lisaswan wrote.

5. June 3rd, 2011 | 7:09 am

redbug wrote:

Agree, 100%. It’s laughable that the Fans of A-Rod Club consider this to be “whining.”

6. MJ Recanati
      June 3rd, 2011 | 8:31 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

It’s laughable that the Fans of A-Rod Club consider this to be “whining.”

What’s laughable is that you infer that it’s A-Rod fans who consider this to be whining. Being an A-Rod fan has nothing to do with Jeter and vice versa.

Whatever Lisa may or may not be with respect to Alex Rodriguez has no impact on her interpretation of Derek Jeter. That you automatically rush to marginalize one’s viewpoint in that condescending manner of yours is reprehensible.

And, finally, Rodriguez’s and Chamberlain’s somewhat lighter and humorous tone regarding the SI poll do stand in contrast to Jeter’s comments on the subject. Whether he was “whining” or not, I can’t say for sure because I didn’t hear the tone of his voice. But between laughing something off and Jeter’s more curt response, it’s hard not to at least interpret a more palpable sense of irritation on Jeter’s part.

7. June 3rd, 2011 | 8:40 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Um, no. I know that the Derek-wearing blinders of the Fans of Jeter Club would like pretend that their guy never says anything imperfect.
      But Jeter, unlike everybody else who was named, was not amused, as a quick Google search shows (or, for that matter, a quick look at my blog would show, as I wrote about the story — http://subwaysquawkers.blogspot.com/2011/06/why-i-find-overrated-baseball-players.html)
      Here are some tidbits from Newsday:

Jeter was not close to being amused.

“We’re doing this again?” he said. “I have no comment on anonymous polls. I’ve never understood those anonymous polls.”

He added: “It’s the same thing they do every year, right? I’m focused on more positive things. How about that? There’s your quote.”

Discussing his chase of 3,000 hits later on, Jeter amended that.

“Consistency is underrated,” he said, putting emphasis on “underrated.” “That’s the quote.”

* * *

Jeter did say one funny thing: it is amusing to see a hitter who has been anything but consistent over the past year when it comes to his career numbers talk about consistency.

8. Garcia
      June 3rd, 2011 | 8:46 am

lisa, I “agree” that’s just awful and beyond the pale by Jeter. Where have all the good SS gone? Like the ones that get massive amounts of money from a team, feel “pressure” to perform and live-up to said contract by then injecting themselves with PED*. I wish I had a guy like that, at the very least their numbers would remain “consistent” and get better over time.

*I really don’t care about PED, but I do find it hilarious that Jeter kicked Lisa’s dog. I still don’t see her point, but she’s bothered by Jeter so that must mean the sun came out today. Ho-hum!

9. June 3rd, 2011 | 8:56 am

@ Garcia: Ahem. Earlier in the thread, Redbug specifically asked me to provide the actual Jeter quotes. That’s what I did. If you have an issue with me doing that, take it up with Redbug.

10. redbug
      June 3rd, 2011 | 10:12 am

.@ lisaswan:

Thanks for replying to my request Lisa.

I think the fact that I remain a fan of Jeter’s (have been since ’96), I don’t see his comments as whinning. Perhaps those who aren’t fans read the same words see it as such.

11. MJ Recanati
      June 3rd, 2011 | 10:24 am

redbug wrote:

Perhaps those who aren’t fans read the same words see it as such.

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure it has to do with being a fan or not being a fan. Perhaps “whining” is not the right term but I do think (as I said above):

MJ Recanati wrote:

It’s not hard to make the leap that this topic irked Jeter to the point of a less-than-amused reply. Now, that’s not to say that two separate individuals have to reply to the same question in the exact same way. Rodriguez and Chamberlain chose to respond with humor and levity and Jeter chose to respond with mild exasperation and a somewhat tart comment about consistency. The latter, when contrasted with the former, does lead one to believe that Jeter took the SI poll a little more personally than he probably should have. That doesn’t make him a bad person and no one has insulted his character for pointing out the difference between the two.