• Cashman: Yankees Need Pitching

Posted by on June 6th, 2011 · Comments (26)

Via Joel Sherman the other day –

“We are a championship-caliber-contending team with areas of need that I need to work on,” general manager Brian Cashman said in assessing the first third of the season. “We are going to have to continue to look for ways to improve our pitching.”

“Overall, the pitching is going to be the defining thing for us,” Cashman said. “The pitching has excelled, but it is not wise or prudent to sit back and try not to reinforce and improve on it.”

So, what do you think? Who will the Yankees pick up? Who will they trade to get him? Who on the current staff will get bumped when he is acquired? If you were the GM, what would you do?

Comments on Cashman: Yankees Need Pitching

1. clintfsu813
      June 6th, 2011 | 12:30 pm

Honestly..not liking the rumors I’ve heard. Mainly Liriano and Danks. I think Garcia is first one demoted. What about If/When Phil gets back?

2. MJ Recanati
      June 6th, 2011 | 12:51 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      I can’t imagine the Liriano rumors are credible at this point unless the Twins are willing to give him up for a sack of White Castle hamburgers. With his lousy performance thus far and his injury issues, he’s not worth a damn.

3. MJ Recanati
      June 6th, 2011 | 12:57 pm

I don’t think there’s a whole lot of pitching available, other than overpaid guys (Carlos Zambrano/Barry Zito) that will always be on the market because of how much of a drag they are on their respective teams’ finances.

I’d want the Yankees to look at Jeremy Guthrie. He’s an innings horse that has been above league average for three of the past four seasons. He’s a solid mid-rotation starter with one year of control left so he probably wouldn’t come cheap but could realistically justify the investment.

4. Jim TreshFan
      June 6th, 2011 | 1:06 pm

I don’t know, but “a championship-caliber contending team with areas of need” would suggest any number of MLB franchises. I suppose it’s a way of saying “We’re better than average.” And there’s plenty of better-than-average teams out there that are or could be in the market for pitching. What’s interesting to me is at present the Yankees are on a pace to win between 90 and 95 games. That’s good but not great. But the interesting part is that they are currently tied with the Indians (who’ve lost 4 straight) for the best record in the league. Given the sub-par performances from so many members on the roster I have to ask: How the hell did we get here?

5. MJ Recanati
      June 6th, 2011 | 1:16 pm

Jim TreshFan wrote:

6. clintfsu813
      June 6th, 2011 | 2:25 pm

Sorry..I meant Nova would be first one demoted

7. Jim TreshFan
      June 6th, 2011 | 2:37 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:
      All you have to do is turn the first part of your sentence 180 degrees. There are just as many players that are performing above expectations as there are players performing below expectations.Granderson, Garcia, Colon and Burnett are all doing better than anyone would’ve imagined in Spring Training.
      ___________________________

Very true. And who would’ve expected Granderson, Garcia, Colon, and Burnett to be doing most of the heavy lifting? Are they the new “Core Four?”

June 6th, 2011 | 2:59 pm

I don’t know who would be available, which teams are rebuilding, etc. There isn’t any potential free agents out there that are appealing that teams would want to move.

I guess if anything, the Yanks will promote from within, given where we are now. Given the premium placed on starting pitching and projected divisional dogfights in either league driving up the price, I think the price paid will be steep.

9. #15
      June 6th, 2011 | 4:53 pm

Might be a bit of misdirection from Cash as he tries to cut a deal for a bat. I don’t think anyone looks at Jorge and things we want the game in his hands in crunch time. He’s starting to make contact better, but it’s clear he can be pitched to and beaten. With what he has shown, there are many bats out there that would be an improvement. A solid everyday DH would seem to me to be able to make the biggest impact on this team. A stud right fielder would be next on my list, but I’m not quite ready to give up on Swish for this year unless a real gem fell in our lap.

On the pitching front… With what we have, and with what we have lined up in the minors, only thing that makes sense is to deal for 1) an impact front of the rotation guy that we can control for ~ 3 years and 2) a solid shutdown lefty for the pen. A front of the rotation starter gives us some leverage with CC on his contract and turns us into a playoff animal for 2011. We have lots of options for 3′s, 4′s and 5′s both this year and for several years to come. If there is anything in Hughes’ tank, he could come in and give us some bullpen options and/or allow Colon and Garcia to skip a start and keep them fresh.

10. K-V-C
      June 6th, 2011 | 6:17 pm

We keep hearing how the Yankees need pitching, and to a point I’ll agree with that – BUT since the pitching is clearly carrying the team right now I would hope Cashman is looking for a DH (we have the worst DH in the league)and a possible outfielder (replace Gardner).

I wouldn’t trade for any of the available pitcher…hopefully there is someone good under the radar. I also wouldn’t part with any of the young arms in the minors, but I’d listen to offers on either catcher.

Hopefully Hughes will come back to form and they can work with Nova to get the ball down. As to first guy demoted I’d vote Garcia.

11. Corey Italiano
      June 6th, 2011 | 6:31 pm

If I’m the Yanks, I play the “Who wants to trade a bat for Colon” game, and see if anyone bites.

If they do, you make that deal and then find a strong starter to fill his spot (or let Hughes do it).

I say do it before the clock strikes 12.

June 6th, 2011 | 7:56 pm

Colon will be fine, he’s pitching at more or less his career levels.

As for trading for a bat, I would think the Yanks would give Montero a shot @ DH before trading for someone.

13. 77yankees
      June 6th, 2011 | 9:15 pm

Raf wrote:

I agree. Montero will probably be given a shot after the All Star break at the latest.

As for trading for a starter, I brought up Mark Buerhle in the off season to unpopular tones, and while he’s not a strikeout pitcher, he’s left handed, gives you innings, is a Gold Glove, and shuts down the running game, which you’ll need against the Boston speedsters.

He shouldn’t cost a high level prospect in a trade, and while he’s vested at $15M through next season, that will basically be offset once Posada comes off the books for 2012.

14. stephaniereports
      June 7th, 2011 | 1:16 am

Can any one here give me some inside help on GM Brian Cashman’s relationship with a young woman named Louise [Name removed by Admin]? Are they together? Are they living together? Is Cashman cheating on his wife or is he divorced? email me at: *stephaniereports@yahoo.com* please all information held or given will be held in confidentially. Thank you, trying to build a story.
      All input will be a help and held confidentially.

15. June 7th, 2011 | 6:49 am

@ stephaniereports:
      There have been some internet mentions about Cashman being spotted in a bar (Bubble Lounge? South’s?) with some girl named Louisa or Louise – and, reportedly, Cashman had his hands all over the girl. But, I can’t imagine that such a scene could exist without someone snapping a picture with their cell phone or something. The odds of this being true, IMHO, are extremely remote.

June 7th, 2011 | 7:04 am

Inside help, or inside dirt? ;)

June 7th, 2011 | 11:51 am

@ stephaniereports:

Nice! :)

18. June 7th, 2011 | 12:53 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      Well, I would care.

While I have always maintained that Cashman is a terrible baseball evaluator and wouldn’t know a bad pitcher if it fell out of the sky and landed on his head, and that he would be lost without the Steinbrenner Family Checkbook to make up for his mistakes, I have also said, more than one time, that he is great as “the face of the franchise” and that I would rather see him as team president than Randy Levine. Further, I have said that Cashman doesn’t do anything to embarrass the franchise – at least up until this off-season.

So, if he has done something stupid in an Andrew Weiner/Steve Phillips kind of way, I think it’s important to know that…as it would change the opinion that he’s someone fit to be a spokes-person for the team and someone who would not take advantage of his Yankees-fame/platform and use it to serve his own personal gratification.

That said, again, I have no idea if this claim about him and Louise is true or not. And, if pressed to pick, I would say that it’s hard to believe it could be true given the way New York and the media works.

Then again, years ago, I recall a woman claiming on Yankees boards that she and Bernie Williams had a baby. I never believed it – because I didn’t want to believe it. Then, as chance would have it, I worked with a girl years later who SWORE that she and her girlfriend hooked up with Bernie and Ricky Bones in a bar in Boston. (She got Ricky.) And, she said that she thought Bernie was gross because her girlfriend said that next morning that Bernie wouldn’t use a condom. So, who knows, maybe that baby lady had a point?

In any event, back to point, if there is any truth to this stuff, I would care to know about it. But, again, I’m not counting on anything happening on this.

19. Corey Italiano
      June 7th, 2011 | 12:57 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

20. MJ Recanati
      June 7th, 2011 | 1:00 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I don’t know this former co-worker of yours so I won’t say anything about her other than to say that it doesn’t speak too highly of her if she’s telling people about random hookups at bars.

21. Corey Italiano
      June 7th, 2011 | 1:00 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Do you really think Cashman would be the only baseball executive to have cheated on their wife? (not saying it’s true)

Or if it’s more about the face on the franchise, Do you really think Cashman would be the only face of the Yankees franchise in history to have cheated on his wife?

And even if the answer to both of those is yes, how does that really impact the team?

22. MJ Recanati
      June 7th, 2011 | 1:12 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Bottom line, what Cashman does in a bar has 0 impact on the New York Yankees baseball club. That’s his free time, I don’t care if he’s scratching his ass or scratching someone elses.I mean, do you think Cashman could have used that time to find a stud pitcher? Come on.

I agree with you that what Cashman does on his own time doesn’t impact the on-field product that Cashman is responsible for.

However, I don’t agree with you that any alleged infidelity on Cashman’s part doesn’t impact the Yankees. While it shouldn’t matter we know, unfortunately, that it does matter and that people will make a big deal about it because salacious stories are interesting to a segment of the general population and that our puritanical society harshly judges those that have recreational sex.

While I certainly wouldn’t condone sex outside of a marriage — get a divorce if you’re unhappy with your spouse — I also understand that sometimes these things can happen and that they’re far too complicated to be understood by media types. That all being said, as the public face of a multi-million dollar company and a member of their executive committee, you have to do a better job of keeping your private life hidden away from view. It is unfortunate but that’s just how it goes.

Cashman knows this better than most so if he got caught, it’ll be tabloid fodder for weeks and months until every last aspect of the story is brought to light and, realistically, will result in his resignation or dismissal.

23. June 7th, 2011 | 1:20 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

You have to understand the timing on this. It was 1997. I was a HUGE Bernie-fan at that time. And, it was because of me touting him that she came through with the story. And, yes, she was young (late 20′s?) and somewhat rough around the edges. She was the kind of girl that would tell an absolute stranger that she was having her period that day. No filter, whatsoever.

Hey, not everyone can be Queen Elizabeth, I guess.

24. MJ Recanati
      June 7th, 2011 | 3:02 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

LOL, I know people like that. The phrase “TMI” must’ve applied to several of the things she said, I’m sure.

June 7th, 2011 | 3:08 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Well, I would care.

Given your reaction to the Rodriguez non story a few days ago, of course you would :-D

Seriously, this is giving off a Lester Burnham vibe. Maybe it’s true, maybe it isn’t, I couldn’t care less. I root for a team that has had a convicted felon as an owner. An owner who was suspended when he paid a gambler for dirt on an employee. I root for a team that hired a passionate nut like Billy Martin. That hired cokeheads Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Steve Howe & Rod Scurry. That had a statutory rapist in Luis Polonia. That had Jose Canseco and Alex Rodriguez and all their foibles. That had Joba Chamberlain & Steve Swindal and their DWI’s. So on and so forth, ad infinitum. While I don’t condone what Cashman allegedly did, I guess I’m so jaded that I couldn’t care less.

26. MJ Recanati
      June 7th, 2011 | 3:50 pm

Raf wrote:

Exactly.

The morality (or lack thereof) of the characters on my favorite team don’t matter to me one iota. I’m watching the Yankees because I love them and because I love baseball. If I wanted to watch virtuous people, I’d go to the slums of Calcutta and watch the nuns from Mother Teresa’s missionary do good works. When it comes to entertainment, I’m not concerned with the morality of those paid to entertain me.