• Booth Boys

Posted by on June 14th, 2011 · Comments (12)

Six years ago, I said that I would go with Ken Singleton, Jim Kaat and Paul O’Neill for every game in the YES booth.  But, you know what?  Michael Kay, Al Leiter and Paul O’Neill seem to really have fun in the booth together.  I actually don’t mind Kay in this set-up.  I could live with that too – and then use Ken Singleton and/or David Cone as a fill in when someone needed a day off.  What about John Flaherty?  Put him on the radio with Jack Curry…would that work?

Comments on Booth Boys

June 14th, 2011 | 10:21 pm

It’s a nice mix; Leiter covering pitching, O’Neill covering hitting and Kay kinda moderating things. With Leiter and O’Neill discussing things, there isn’t much opportunity for Kay to ramble and tell the same story a billion times.

O’Neill occasionally puts the smackdown on Kay, which is an added benefit. :)

2. ken
      June 14th, 2011 | 11:01 pm

I agree. Kay has never been a fave of mine but with the other guys around him they keep him in check.

On the subject of the Yanks’ announcers, I wish that they would be a bit more critical of the team/players when appropriate. I know that there are limits to what the team’s own announcers can say but NY fans are sophisticated enough for more honesty. The Mets’ Keith Hernandez tells it like it is. We need one of those.

3. Evan3457
      June 14th, 2011 | 11:34 pm

I like Singleton better than Leiter, but Leiter’s not bad.

Curry and Flats on radio would be an improvement of the current regrettable duo by only about, say, approximately…infinity percent.

4. redbug
      June 15th, 2011 | 6:43 am

No matter who’s w/ him, I could do w/o Kay. His ego is too much for me. I prefer Lorenez. He sticks to the game and not himself.

I prefer Cone over Leiter. Cone is much more interesting and analytical. (Katt was the best)

I loved O’Neill as a player but do not like him in the booth. Flaherty can be a bit boring but he’s not afraid to critize plays and players.

5. ken
      June 15th, 2011 | 11:24 am

@ redbug:
      ditto all you wrote.

6. throwstrikes
      June 15th, 2011 | 11:46 am

Leiter adds energy to the booth. He sounds like he loves everything about baseball and that’s infectious.

O’Neill adds a little wackiness to the booth. He adds an empathy to the game action that fans can never understand.

Flaherty annoys me. Comes off too condescending.

7. Corey Italiano
      June 15th, 2011 | 4:44 pm

If I could have it my way, I would leave Kay (pbp), Cone and Singleton in the booth with an occasional Flash/Leiter mix in. O’Neil is out, because everything he says is the antithesis of the impression I got of him when he was a player.

For my second team it’d be Singleton(pbp)/Flash/Cone.

Lorenz is good at what he does, no need for him in the booth. I think he’s the perfect post game host.

8. Corey Italiano
      June 15th, 2011 | 4:46 pm

redbug wrote:

I think Cone and Leiter can provide 2 equally interesting views on the pitching side. I agree that I like Cone better, but that’s 100% due to personal preference.

That said, it doesn’t get better than Kitty.

9. redbug
      June 15th, 2011 | 6:09 pm

Maybe Singleton for play by play. He use to drive me nuts talking about himself but he’s toned that down. Cone (if the Yanks don’t change their mind and bring back Katt) and Flash.

10. June 15th, 2011 | 7:17 pm

Paul O’Neill is an example of a rising tide lifting all boats. He does a great job on the games, if I were running YES I’d offer him as many games as he’s willing to do.

I think Flaherty works very well with Singleton. I’d like to see Paul and Kay do 50 games together with the same total going to Flaherty and Singleton. The rest of the games could be Kay with Flaherty or Singleton with Lorenz as the swing man for Kay.

I think YES has too many guys behind the mike as it is, I would eliminate both Cone and Leiter.

Of course the Yankees are sladdled with as bad a radio team as you could find. Sterling is horrible (who opened the gates of hell to let this guy sit behind a mike). I might be willing to give Suzanne a pass since it is impossible to judge anyone who has to share mike time with John.

11. BOHAN
      June 15th, 2011 | 9:57 pm

I would take cone over Leiter but Leiter isn’t bad at all. I love O’Neill up there. and I don’t mind Kay at all. I’ve had a lot of people tell me they hate Kay and think he’s the worse but I kinda like him most of the time. I cant stand Flaherty. He bores the hell out of me and puts me to sleep most of the time he does a game. I don’t mind Singleton although I’d take Paulie over him.

June 15th, 2011 | 10:13 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

I’d keep them. What I like about Cone is that he gives off the vibe that he has some stories that he wants to share, but can’t. He has a style similar to O’Neill but just taken to another level. I like Leiter in that he has a passion for what he’s trying to do. He could use a little more polish though. I do like the insights that Leiter and O’Neill give during an at-bat from a pitcher and hitter standpoint.