• Would The Mets Give Jeter A Pass?

Posted by on June 15th, 2011 · Comments (10)

So many Mets fans calling into WFAN this AM saying, if it comes down to his last couple of At Bats at CitiField, that the Mets should walk Derek Jeter rather than allow a historic Yankees event occur on Mets turf.

O.K., now I hope that Jeter gets it at CitiField – just to annoy those who are so dead-set against it happening there…

Comments on Would The Mets Give Jeter A Pass?

1. June 15th, 2011 | 11:23 am

Talk about fans of the lowest common denominator. I guess they are still mad over Mariano earning his 500th save and, in the mean time, earning his first career RBI there.

But hey, if the Mets want to walk Jeter to have Curtis Granderson, Mark Teixeira, and Alex Rodriguez come up with him on first, by all means, be my guest.

2. throwstrikes
      June 15th, 2011 | 11:34 am

You play to win the game not to worry about an individual player’s milestone whether they are on your team or the other team.

3. #15
      June 15th, 2011 | 12:34 pm

And now we have 4576 reason to hate the Mets and their fans.

Here’s a framing question: The last Great Met player was….

My requirements are:
      More than 1/2 their career with the Mets,
      Post season success with the Mets,
      No drug/PED scandals,
      No wife beating, etc..
      Career stats at least worthy of HOF consideration

In total, someone who had success on the field and didn’t embarass the team off the field.

4. Corey Italiano
      June 15th, 2011 | 4:48 pm

#15 wrote:

More than 1/2 their career with the Mets,
      Post season success with the Mets,
      No drug/PED scandals,
      No wife beating, etc..
      Career stats at least worthy of HOF consideration

To be fair, I’d imagine that list is quite small if populated at all.

5. Corey Italiano
      June 15th, 2011 | 4:49 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

To be fair, I’d imagine that list is quite small if populated at all.

By that I mean of all teams…to re-iterate I doubt there’s many hall of fame quality players that have ha post season success with one team, spent more than half of their carer on that team, hasn’t beaten their wife, and hasn’t had a run in with drugs/alcohol/PEDs.

6. June 15th, 2011 | 6:49 pm

Baseball players are very competitive, that drive helps get them to the big leagues in the first place. No pitcher worth his a grain of salt could resist going after Jeter with the 3,000th hit on the line.

7. #15
      June 15th, 2011 | 10:58 pm

@ Corey Italiano:

Okay, loosen it up some.. Maybe a player doesn’t have to hit on all counts to be on the list….

Among active guys:
      Albert Pujols
      A few guys on the Botox
      A few guys on the Phillies
      Konerko

Glavine
      Frank Thomas
      Edmunds
      Bernie
      Biggio
      Ripken

I could go on. Let me phrase it this way…. Gimme your list of Met heroes? Got to go back pretty far in my mind. In almost 50 years, the Met organization itself has found only one player worthy of having his number retired. My point is that many teams have had guys that were both very good to great players, had long careers with a given team, helped their teams get to or win in the post season, and were admirable representatives of their teams. To my eye, the Mets, especially given their payroll and media exposure, have had much less than their fair share.

June 16th, 2011 | 8:33 am

It’s a moot point anyway, as Terry Collins wouldn’t allow the Mets to worry about milestones.

June 16th, 2011 | 8:43 am

#15 wrote:

Gimme your list of Met heroes?

Off the top of my head, Seaver, Franco & Piazza. Keith Hernandez had 7 years here. For all their troubles, there are very few stars that shone brighter than Doc’s & Darryl’s.

10. #15
      June 16th, 2011 | 12:14 pm

I might give you Franco; Piazza and KH are probably borderline. I kind of view them as belonging to other organizations, but maybe that’s because I’d already flown the coup by the time they arrived in NY. No question Doc and Darryl were great over a stretch of their careers. Funny thing is they ended up having as much or more post season success with the Yankees than they did with the Mets. I know Darryl a bit and like him, but both he and Doc’s off-field issues keep them out of the “hero” list of guys like I named above. Darryl’s agent actually advised him to keep some distance from the Yankees (Old Timers Days & other functions, etc…) because he would could stand out in the very thin Met’s history, whereas he’d just get lost in the sauce with the crowd of Yankee legends. I know a Tampa cop that could curl your hair with personal stories of dragging Doc out of crack houses and starting brawls. Compare him to a guy like Brett for the Royals. Clear distinction to me.

Just to close the loop on my thinking… I grew up in a divided household in Whitestone, close enough to see the lights from Shea at night. My dad was/is a Met fan and I’ve been a Yankee fan as long as I can remember. The Met fans don’t want Jeter to get a milestone in their park, because he’s a living example of the institutionalized mediocrity that the Mets have always been. To paraphrase Joe D… “I thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan.”