• June 2011 Survey Question #1

Posted by on June 17th, 2011 · Comments (14)

Please consider taking the following poll:

{democracy:118}

Thanks in advance. And, please feel free to add comments on your opinion in the comments section.

Comments on June 2011 Survey Question #1

1. redbug
      June 17th, 2011 | 5:02 pm

I rhought of Melky after I voted. He was awful good out there.

2. Evan3457
      June 17th, 2011 | 5:54 pm

Well, we know it ain’t Elston or Damon.

3. June 17th, 2011 | 6:23 pm

Sabermetrics say Howard was a pretty good LF.

4. Evan3457

5        Johnny Damon     26 2006 2009 32-35  576
      6           Irv Noren     18 1952 1956 27-31  488
      7        Norm Siebern     13 1956 1959 22-25  308
      8           Tom Tresh      6 1961 1969 22-30 1098

6. Evan3457
      June 18th, 2011 | 12:27 pm

I think that includes his fielding at all positions. BRef lists him as -1 fielding runs (Rtot) inn his 228 games as a left fielder. He is, however +39 Rtot as a catcher for his career.

==============================================

If you adjust the Rtot for games played (i.e., per game or per season, then Gardner is head and shoulders above everyone else on the list, even Rickey. And when Rickey started his career in Oakland, he put up some unbelievable range factors (over 3 for a left fielder).

7. Evan3457
      June 18th, 2011 | 12:36 pm

Oh, side note on Gardner. Yes, he played some CF and was a plus there as well, but at a much lower rate than in left field. This makes perfect sense, because, in the aggregate, center fielders are much better defensively than left fielders (frequently in the lineup much more for their hitting; you don’t “hide a bat” in center field).

Anyway, Gardner is +5 Rtot in 130 “games” (IP divided by 8.5) in CF, which is good, but he’s an +38 runs in left in just 182 “games” in left, which is spectacular. So good, in fact, that if he hits the way he’s hitting now, he’s the 2nd most valuable regular left fielder in baseball, behind only Ryan Braun (Fangraphs WAR & BRef WAR).

Right now, 60% of his WAR are defensive. That’s how good he’s been in left.

8. Evan3457
      June 18th, 2011 | 12:41 pm

Re: Rickey…

I forgot he played mostly CF his first two years with the Yanks. He has +23 Rtot in approx. 245 “games” for the Yanks. That’s excellent, roughly +15 Rtot per year.

Gardner is more than twice as excellent, at roughly 34 Rtot per year.

He’s already 27, going on 28, so how long this lasts…I dunno. If the Yanks time it right, he should be losing speed and range just about the time he gets really expensive.

9. LMJ229
      June 18th, 2011 | 11:41 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Evan, do you think Gardner is the second best left fielder in baseball? Just curious on your thoughts, stats aside.

10. Evan3457
      June 19th, 2011 | 1:28 am

No, not really. He’s clearly behind Holliday and Crawford, too. Gonzalez should also be ahead of him, but he isn’t, yet. But take a good look at the current regular left fielders in MLB. It isn’t a pretty picture at the moment.

And even more crazy than the idea that he’s the 2nd most valuable regular left fielder is the idea that he isn’t valuable because he’s not a 20+ HR man.

Especially when his current salary is taken into consideration.

June 19th, 2011 | 8:50 am

To those who never saw Rickey play in his prime, it’s hard to explain how good Rickey was.

12. LMJ229
      June 19th, 2011 | 11:55 pm

@ Evan3457:
      I agree. I guess when you look at the whole package – offense, defense, ability to steal bases, etc. – Gardner should be considered one of the better left fielders in the game. I love the way he is swinging the bat right now. However, if I were the Yanks, I think I’d consider bringing in someone (Ricky Henderson maybe?) to work on his base stealing. That has been sorely lacking this year.

13. Jim TreshFan
      June 20th, 2011 | 1:14 am

Elston Howard? Really? Well, he was originally an OFer, but that was before my time so I can’t say. Roy White, I believe, played more games in LF than any other Yankee. But by that standard the All-Time Centerfielder would be Bernie Williams. I also am not convinced by the rating given here to Tom Tresh (I did see him play). Back in the mid 60′s Sports Illustrated came out with a how-to-play Baseball book. Brooks Robinson wrote the chapter on playing infield, Tim McCarver wrote the chapter on catching. The chapters on playing the outfield and baserunning were written by Tom Tresh.
      I do remember an interview I heard when I was living in the Bay Area back in the ’80′s. The Orioles were playing the A’s and before the game a local radio sports guy asked Earl Weaver what he thought about Rickey Henderson as a leftfielder.
      “He’s the best I’ve seen,” Weaver replied.

14. Evan3457
      June 20th, 2011 | 3:23 am

LMJ229 wrote:

@ Evan3457:

I wish they’d hired Davey Lopes, but the Dodgers had first claim on his loyalty.