• Yankees Old-Timer’s Day 2011

Posted by on June 26th, 2011 · Comments (10)

It was nice to see Sweet Lou.  And, the hands for Torre and Bernie were impressive.

Gotta be truthful: My eyes started to well up a bit seeing Whitey and Yogi standing out there, together.  Not sure how much longer we have with both of them.

The video tribute for Geno was first rate.  Great job on that one – especially getting guys like Donnie and Rags to contribute.  And, how impressive were the current Yankees getting him that truck?  Ballplayers make a ton of money these days…but when it  allows them to pony up and do something like that, it’s awesome.

Great to see the current players – Giambi too – enjoy this one so much.  Sad that Jeter had to miss this one.  But, you could see Jorge step up and be the ring master for the team.  Call me crazy, but, I think Posada would make an excellent Yankees manager someday.  And, if he’s allowed to do it somewhere else, it will be like when they let Piniella get away.

Comments on Yankees Old-Timer’s Day 2011

1. redbug
      June 26th, 2011 | 4:38 pm

I cry during almost every OT day. This yr, it was the same as you, Steve. Although, Whitey looked better this yr than the past few yrs.

There was a brief tribute to Bobby Murcer on YES prior to the OT intros. That was my 1st choke up. He was a favorite of mine and he was a riot when he was miked up and in the field during OT games. I miss him

But, it was Joe Torre who really made me tear-up. He looked like he had a hard time keeping it in. I was so glad he got the ovation he did. Long overdue.

This was the best OT day in a few yrs. It was great to see all those late 70′s and 90′s players.

2. redbug
      June 27th, 2011 | 5:54 am

Forgot to add I agree the tribute to Geno was wonderful. Perfect to do it at OT day where so many of the players he cared for past and present were on hand. How he made it through the entire period of George’s ownership is a mystery. May he live a happy and healthy life!

3. LMJ229
      June 27th, 2011 | 9:26 am

Watching on YES, I was a little worried about Whitey before they introduced him, he didn’t look well, but I guess he was OK, thank God. Every year on OTD I think of Munson, he was my favorite player growing up and I miss him alot. Would have loved to see him as an old-timer. It was really great to see Torre and Piniella in pinstripes again. And Boomer made a good point – where is Paul O’Niell?

MK said on the broadcast that the Yankees are the only team in baseball that still has an OTD. He speculated that one of the reasons might be that it is so expensive to host. The Yankees pay for their airfare, their hotel accomodations, their meals, etc. and have planned activities for them. I’m sure it must cost a pretty penny. Great job by the Yankees organization to do this each year. You can see how it really does perpetuate the great tradition of the Yankees and creates a bond and a sense of family for the past and present players.

4. BOHAN
      June 27th, 2011 | 12:11 pm

I only got to see the intros because i had a wedding to go to but it was awesome seeing Mr. Joe Torre back in pinstripes. I was upset when i heard Tino went yard and i missed it. Tino is my favorite player I’ve seen play. Would of been awesome to see him go yard again in pinstripes.

5. June 27th, 2011 | 12:22 pm

redbug wrote:

Agreed. How many trainers go out on a note like that? Awesome. Bernie’s bit was telling – that Geno taught him what it meant to be a Yankee more than any player. That says a lot about what he has meant to this franchise.

6. June 27th, 2011 | 12:25 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

I was watching the OTD ceremonies with my 7-year old son. (Now, that was a thrill, because he was really into it for the first time.) When they showed Whitey in the dugout, my son said “He looks tired.”

And, I told him that he was very old and not feeling well.

Thank goodness they’ve never had an issue with someone falling or something at one of these.

7. Jim TreshFan
      June 27th, 2011 | 4:10 pm

Whitey Ford old? Well he was born the same year as Mickey Mouse, so…

Anyone here remember the way Ford went out? He was pitching in Detroit early in the ’67 season—call it May—and in the 1st inning he gives up a lead-off double, a ground-out that moves the runner to 3rd and then a sac fly. Next guy up—Jim Northrup—hits a grounder that Ford fields himself and races Northrup to 1st, beating him to the bag by a step. Ford then trots into the dugout, tosses his glove aside, and tells manager Ralph Houk that he’s through. Houk tells Ford he understands…it’s a long season and all that…don’t overwork it… best to pace oneself…I’ll call in a reliever so you can rest up. Ford tells Houk, no, I’m through, retired as of now.
      And that was it. Ford never threw another pitch. Damnedest thing.

June 27th, 2011 | 5:11 pm

Didn’t Ford also have a circulation problem?

9. redbug
      June 27th, 2011 | 6:35 pm

@ Jim TreshFan:

Didn’t know that about Whitey. boy, if a player can figure out and accept it’s the time to go…That’s the best. Tough, though. Our core, now 3, have to face that in the not too distant future. So do we as fans. I hated saying so long to Andy and know Jeter, Posada and Mo’s time is coming. Can’t stand the thought yet.

10. LMJ229
      June 27th, 2011 | 11:32 pm

@ Jim TreshFan:
      Wow, that is interesting. I’d guess he was probably contemplating retiring well before that to just end it like that.