• Should Cash Stay Or Should He Go?

Posted by on June 27th, 2011 · Comments (10)

Buster Olney recently pondered about Brian Cashman and he wrote:

At the end of the 2005 season, Brian Cashman had resolved to end his tenure as the Yankees’ general manager. On what he thought was going to be one of his last days on the job, he gave Yankees owner George Steinbrenner — with whom Cashman had many battles — a recommendation about what Steinbrenner would need in terms of structure going forward.

Steinbrenner asked him to stay on, and now Cashman is in his 14th year as the Yankees’ GM. His contract is set to expire at the end of this season, and many of Cashman’s professional colleagues are starting to believe this will be his last with the team.

“I think maybe he’s finally had it,” said one GM. “That’s a job that will take a lot out of you.”

Cashman said on Friday night that he’s not thinking about his future with the Yankees, and that in keeping with his own approach to contract situations with the likes of Joe Girardi and Mariano Rivera last year, he will not talk about his own future with his bosses until after the Yankees finish play this year. “I have no idea,” Cashman said. “I’m not looking to leave. I’m not looking to go anywhere. I firmly believe this will be the best job I’ll ever have.

“We’ll have conversations at the right time.”

On at least three other occasions, there appeared to be a good chance that Cashman would walk away, and he decided to stay. It’s possible this could happen again, because the Yankees are the only baseball team for which Cashman has ever worked and he has always felt a responsibility to the organization.

But he has already long outlasted the typical expiration date for a Yankees general manager. Some of his peers wonder if he’ll finally walk away, to start a new chapter in his life. “I don’t think he has any idea how different his life would be if he wasn’t general manager of the Yankees,” said one high-ranking executive.

Me? I think this could be interesting. I suspect that Hal Stein likes Cashman. But, what about Hank Stein and Randy Levine? The former is a loose cannon and the latter may fear Cashman usurping him someday. Not that this would mean Cashman is out – but, I could see the Yankees not giving him a raise and/or the years he wants in a new deal. And, how would that sit with Brian? Then again, what leverage does Cashman have outside of a gig with ESPN?

Comments on Should Cash Stay Or Should He Go?

1. LMJ229
      June 27th, 2011 | 11:41 pm

I am so on the fence on this one. On the one hand, I think that Cashman has done a pretty decent job as GM. On the other hand, I think we can probably do better.

June 28th, 2011 | 8:12 am

I don’t see how Cashman would usurp Levine, they work in different aspects of the organization.

I’m ambivalent, it won’t make much of a difference if Cashman stays or goes, like it didn’t make much of a difference when Michael or Watson was at the helm. Or when Girardi or Torre managed the team. The only thing that I’m curious about is how things will be post Steinbrenner, regarding stability; these are rare times in Yankeeland, I’ve never seen a GM last here as long as Cashman, nor did I see a manager last as long as Torre.

I would think that after all these years of working for the Yankees (including his time as an intern), he’d be ready to move on. But whatever job he takes, if he decides to take one, won’t be as interesting/challenging as this one.

Overall, if the Yankees and Cashman decide to split ways, I don’t see that it’ll be as acrimonious as when Torre and the Yankees split ways.

3. Garcia
      June 28th, 2011 | 9:05 am

I’d like to see a change at this point.

4. June 28th, 2011 | 9:48 am

Raf wrote:

Rafael Soriano disagrees.

5. June 28th, 2011 | 9:49 am

Garcia wrote:

I’d like to see a change at this point.

Ditto.

6. June 28th, 2011 | 9:49 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Totally agree.

June 28th, 2011 | 9:56 am

If he goes there will be trouble, and if he stays it will be double…

June 28th, 2011 | 10:01 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Raf wrote:
      Rafael Soriano disagrees.

I dunno about that. That is more like the NY & Tampa factions of yore. I don’t see how Cashman can try to force Levine out; if anything, it’d probably be the other way around.

9. Greg H.
      June 28th, 2011 | 10:55 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Then again, what leverage does Cashman have outside of a gig with ESPN?

His leverage, if he has any, is stability. That cuts two ways, depending on the disposition of the owners. If the owners think they can do better, the stability becomes the status quo, or stagnation. On the other hand, if they view the status quo as positive, or if they fear the craziness and distractions that could easily return to the organization while someone new gets acclimated (and/or if the newbie flares out) then stability is going to mean considerable leverage.

My feeling is that the owners want the stability, but we most likely won’t know until after the season.

10. LMJ229
      June 28th, 2011 | 12:50 pm

I think the Steinbrothers would want him back. It is more a matter of whether or not Cashman would want to come back. I think he would – deep down he’s got to know he has it really good here. He took alot of crap from George early on and was kept on a tight leash but since George’s death he has been clearly acting and sounding like a liberated man.