• Axel Cashman & Joey G. Rosewood Reunited With Serge!

Posted by on June 29th, 2011 · Comments (7)

And, it feels sooooo good.  Via HardballTalk -

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the Yankees reacquired right-hander Sergio Mitre from the Brewers after Wednesday night’s game for “cash considerations.”

Mitre registered a 5.03 ERA in 105 2/3 innings with the Yankees in 2009-2010, operating as both a long reliever and spot starter. He was traded to the Brewers before the start of the 2011 season for backup outfielder Chris Dickerson.

Mitre has enjoyed a good amount of success this year in the National League, registering a 3.27 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 33 innings for Milwaukee, but the Brewers designated him for assignment earlier this week to clear a roster spot for prospect Mat Gamel.

Mitre is expected to pitch in long relief for the Yanks and will try to build on the momentum that he’s built for the past three months on the senior circuit. The Yankees designated Buddy Carlyle for assignment in order to make room.

Just goes to show: Once you go Mitre, you never go another way.

Comments on Axel Cashman & Joey G. Rosewood Reunited With Serge!

June 29th, 2011 | 11:16 pm

“Just goes to show: Once you go Mitre, you never go another way.”

And he’ll never go away…

2. JeremyM
      June 29th, 2011 | 11:40 pm

I’ve never really liked this guy, for reasons I can’t explain. Well, OK, he stinks, but he’s really just the 25th guy and he’s likely an upgrade on both Carlyle and Gordon.

So is Chad Gaudin next?

3. Evan3457
      June 30th, 2011 | 12:19 am

All right, everyone wanted Carlyle gone?

So, OK, he’s gone. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

I’m back!

4. Scout
      June 30th, 2011 | 6:37 am

Cashman must have misplaced Sidney Ponson’s phone number….

June 30th, 2011 | 8:59 am

Well, the Yanks have a 12 man pitching staff before their IL series against the Mets. I don’t know what Mitre provides that Carlyle, Wade, Noesi, Ayala or Gordon couldn’t.

I don’t see the Yanks going with a 12 man staff for long, and with Hughes and Colon just about ready, I don’t see Wade and Gordon sticking around for much longer.

Colon presumably gets Gordon’s spot in the rotation. But what do they do when Hughes gets back? Will the Yanks go with a 6 man rotation? Does Nova get bumped to the pen or sent down?

6. redbug
      June 30th, 2011 | 6:05 pm

Maybe it’s nova…probably is given the Yanks impatience w/ young pitchers. But, if anyone goes ro the pen, I’d rather see Garcia.

June 30th, 2011 | 6:29 pm

@ redbug:
      Given Nova’s status as the lowest man on the totem pole, in the rotation, I’d guess you’d be right. If I were Nova, I’d be ticked.