• What Happened In The Bronx Today?

Posted by on July 9th, 2011 · Comments (15)

Left the house at 10 AM this morning to attend the Yankees game. Decided to set this one up as a “chron job” to publish at 6 PM.

Probably won’t be checking the blog until later tonight. In any event, use this post, if you want, to discuss the events of the day.

Comments on What Happened In The Bronx Today?

1. July 9th, 2011 | 7:23 pm

Just got home. What a game. Five for five. 3000th hit on a homer. Game winning hit in last AB. Like I said to the guy sitting in front of me, if you read this in a book, or saw it in a movie, you’d say it was fiction. Best part: Sharing the game with my wife and two kids. Pictures to follow.

2. 77yankees
      July 9th, 2011 | 8:03 pm

I never saw Babe Ruth play….

Nor Gehrig….

Or DiMaggio….

Much too young to see Mickey or Yogi….

But I did see the first Yankee to ever get 3,000 hits….

And for that, I consider it a privilege and an honor to see it.

Congrats, #2!!!!

3. Evan3457
      July 9th, 2011 | 8:39 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Hey, waitaminnit now…he got caught stealing to end the 8th.

What kind of crap is that? ;)

I was there, too, up in the Mohegan Sun Club. A towering day for a worthy player. And a better man, I think.

4. JeremyM
      July 9th, 2011 | 9:36 pm

Epic. Glad you were there Steve. The cool thing is we have another great moment hopefully coming up when Mo hits 600 and then breaks the saves record. But it will be hard pressed to top this one- I had a feeling he would get 3000 on his first try, but to hit a homer? Then to go 5-5 with the game-winning hit? We all know that Jeter isn’t anymore “clutch” then anyone else, but that narrative is now frozen in stone for eternity. Wow.

Just too perfect.

5. redbug
      July 10th, 2011 | 6:14 am

I’m so glad you all got to see the game in person.

I watched on TV and couldn’t stop cheering and smiling from the 1st inning on.

Steve, didn’t you wonder, awhile back, if Jeter’s 3k hit would be a HR?

6. July 10th, 2011 | 9:06 am

LOL. Yeah, but, I had the bases juiced!

7. July 10th, 2011 | 9:16 am

@ Evan3457:
      Dude – we were on opposite ends. I was in the upperdeck behind HP. We could have sent hand signals to each other!

8. clintfsu813
      July 10th, 2011 | 9:17 am

Countdown starts for Arod now. He’s closer than I thought. Definitely gonna happen as a Yankee, and kinda soon too.

9. July 10th, 2011 | 9:17 am

BTW, all, thanks for the kind words on my attending the game. It was a thrill. One that my family will never forget.

Sum ballgame!

10. July 10th, 2011 | 9:18 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Was A-Rod even in the park yesterday? Dunno. Didn’t see him – and haven’t seen all the video yet.

11. Evan3457
      July 10th, 2011 | 9:28 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ Evan3457:

Yeah, but you wouldn’t have seen mine behind the dark windows of the “hitter’s eye”. ;)

12. Evan3457
      July 10th, 2011 | 9:30 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

clintfsu813 wrote:

Yeah, he was there. Only of the last to congratulate Jeter with a hug; the on-field mike picked up him saying “UNBELIEVABLE!!” while he hugged him.

13. clintfsu813
      July 10th, 2011 | 10:19 am

It was cool. Arod seemed really excited and happy for DJ. Jorge bearhug was awesome too.

14. redbug
      July 10th, 2011 | 11:21 am

Joe Torre, Don Zimmer, Tino and Gerald Williams were there too.

Here’s another thing I admire about the Jeter family. His sister’s daughter’s christening was scheduled for the day. So Mrs Jeter attended the christening, and Dr Jeter the game. I remember the parents splitting up, even during PS games, if their daughter had something important going on in her life too.

15. LMJ229
      July 10th, 2011 | 12:01 pm

I was wondering where his mom was …