• When Should Yanks Celebrate Mo Rivera This Season?

Posted by on July 18th, 2011 · Comments (9)

Mariano Rivera needs 18 saves to get 600 on his career. But, he needs just 20 saves to set the all-time saves record. So, when Mo gets #600, should the Yankees not go crazy on it…and just wait until he gets two more to really celebrate his milestone?

Comments on When Should Yanks Celebrate Mo Rivera This Season?

1. clintfsu813
      July 18th, 2011 | 4:46 pm

Prolly just celebrate passing Hoffman. Don’t remember a huge one over #500. Don’t get me wrong..getting #600 will be talked about and celebrated but not as much as the record. Imagine if he beats Hoffman AND clinches AL East!

2. clintfsu813
      July 18th, 2011 | 4:47 pm

At same time

July 18th, 2011 | 5:12 pm

I’d celebrate every time he jogs in from the bullpen.

I hope he announces his retirement ahead of time, so we can send him off the way he deserves.

4. Evan3457
      July 18th, 2011 | 5:20 pm

Celebrate all three as loud and long as they want.

A save comes at the end of the game; there’s no need to hold up play.

5. redbug
      July 18th, 2011 | 5:37 pm

@ Raf:

I’m w/ you Raf, celebrate every time the man comes out of the bullpen. Most of the stadium is on it’s feet each time he does w/o prompting. We all know we’re witnessing the best closer of all time, and w/o whom the Yanks would not have reached the PS every yr, save one, since ’96.

6. LMJ229
      July 18th, 2011 | 10:05 pm

I would just celebrate the all time saves record. Knowing Mariano he probably wouldn’t want the fanfare anyway. All he wants to celebrate is championships.

7. LMJ229
      July 18th, 2011 | 10:11 pm

Raf wrote:

I’d celebrate every time he jogs in from the bullpen.

Well said Raf.

You know, I know some people who just became Yankee fans in 1996 and some of them don’t understand just how special Mo is. Because Mariano is the only closer they know, they think saves are easy, that they are a given. I mean, most times, Mariano doesn’t even make you sweat. Those people are in for a rude awakening when Mariano retires.

8. JeremyM
      July 18th, 2011 | 11:17 pm

I’m still in denial that Mo will ever retire….

I say celebrate it all, but I agree with the above comments, Mo probably doesn’t want a big deal made about it. His 500th save was awesome though- remember he picked up his first RBI that game and Girardi tried a little gamesmanship by pretending he was going to pinch-hit for Mo while Jeter made funny faces?

9. BOHAN
      July 21st, 2011 | 10:28 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Celebrate all three as loud and long as they want.
      A save comes at the end of the game; there’s no need to hold up play.

I agree. Why not celebrate both? Great accomplishments for the greatest of all time. He deserves every celebration he gets.