• Man, I Really Thought The Rays Would Have Been Better This Season

Posted by on July 19th, 2011 · Comments (6)

Tampa is just about cooked. They almost have no shot at the post-season now.

Good win for the Yankees. Without this one, the story of the game would have been Posada’s pouty lip curl in the 8th inning.

Now, it’s all about the “W.”

I wonder if the Yankees will do anything for Jorgie on September 25th? If not, the fans better do something on their own. Clearly, his days in Yankeeland are over. Imagine if the Red Sox don’t sign Papi and ask Posada to come to Boston as a left-handed DH and bacl-up catcher. Would Jorge do it? Probably a stupid question. I can’t see Epstein making that offer.

Comments on Man, I Really Thought The Rays Would Have Been Better This Season

July 19th, 2011 | 6:59 am

I can see this ending like the Bernie situation. Maybe worse, since I don’t think Posada will get a 1 year “courtesy” contract like Bernie did.

I thought as the primary DH, 3rd catcher and back up 1b, Posada would have a decent year. I really didn’t think Posada would be as bad as he has been. But his LD% is trending down, and his GB% is trending up which would lead me to believe that the end is near.

July 19th, 2011 | 7:09 am

I thought the Rays would be better too. Don’t know why they haven’t called up Desmond Jennings yet.

3. EHawk
      July 19th, 2011 | 11:29 am

I’m a Yankees fan in Tampa so I get to see a lot of the Rays. Its not a surprise to me at all they aren’t playing that well. Look at their lineup…its pathetic…I mean they have Casey Kotchman as their cleanup hitter most nights. They have decent pitching and a weak offense….I think they have been shut out 9 times already this year…that’s like once every 10 games or so! I think they are playing above their heads actually and should be more like a .500 team. Still they are scrappy and play the big boys well but over the course of the 162 game schedule they just don’t have enough offense to keep up.

4. Evan3457
      July 19th, 2011 | 12:00 pm

EHawk wrote:

This.

Before the season, I said they’d patch up the pen, because they’re smart and the pen is the easiest part of the team to patch together, but I also said that unless Zobrist and Upton get back to being good hitters, didn’t think they have enough offense for the long haul. Zobrist is back most of the way, but that’s been offset by Longoria’s injured/brutal year, so far. Upton still has his head up his armpit at the plate, thank goodness.

Jennings isn’t really tearing it up at AAA, but he has to be better than Fuld, who is what people who irrationally hate Brett Gardner think Brett is: a 4th-5th OF with speed and a glove and no bat.

5. SteveF
      July 19th, 2011 | 6:01 pm

I thought the starting pitching would be better. Price has been a bit of a disappointment and Davis hasn’t been the pitcher I thought he’d be this year. I suppose that last one is on me; people have a tendency to expect too much out of young pitchers.

The other issue is the Longoria situation. He’s not healthy and he won’t be healthy again until after he has surgery (i.e., next year). Upton has had another disappointing season. Though after the number of disappointing seasons he has had, it’s probably time to just admit he is what he is and will never be the kind of player people thought he might be after the 2008 post-season.

I think they need to consider trading some of their pitching depth for near-ready positional player prospects.

6. LMJ229
      July 19th, 2011 | 10:23 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Tampa is just about cooked. They almost have no shot at the post-season now.

Its ridiculous to write off a team that is only 6 games behind in mid-July. This is, after all, the team that won the AL East last year. There are still 67 games left to be played. I’d be careful about writing them off this early.

And being the superstitious person that I am, I can’t help but think that what happened in the bottom of the 7th inning tonight is the direct result of your premature post.