• For The Love Of Jesus

Posted by on July 22nd, 2011 · Comments (11)

Donnie Collins tells us why we should heart Jesus Montero.

Me, I just want to know if the Yankees are going to issue him #21 when he gets called up.  If they do, I’m ticked.

But, seriously, the more I think of Montero, I see more of a Cliff Johnson or John Ellis type player than I do a Mike Piazza or Lance Parrish.  Maybe that’s just me?

Comments on For The Love Of Jesus

1. Scout
      July 22nd, 2011 | 6:30 pm

Compare the two following hitting lines:

Player A:
      .284 74 292 32 83 13 5 3 38 25 67 8 3 0 3 4 .348 .394 .742

Player B:

.281 75 295 31 83 12 1 8 37 23 72 0 0 0 2 12 .337 .410 .747

Sorry for the formatting, but you can find the numbers by looking at the current batting stats for the SWB Yankees. Player A is Kevin Russo, not exactly a hot prospect anymore. Player B is — you guessed it — everyone’s favorite, Jesus Montero. The numbers are strikingly similar across the board. That should give the Montero enthusiasts some pause.

2. July 22nd, 2011 | 6:49 pm

Maybe the Yankees should convert Russo to catcher? :-)

July 22nd, 2011 | 7:29 pm

Kevin Russo is 27, Montero is 21. ;)

4. July 22nd, 2011 | 8:17 pm

I have this strange feeling that Kevin Russo will become a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates soon. He seems like the type of guy (fringe Yankee) that the Pirates like. I’m gonna guess for Joe Beimel at the deadline.

July 22nd, 2011 | 8:24 pm

Why would you think he’d be assigned #21, Steve?

If anything, I’d think he’d be assigned #33 :p

6. Evan3457
      July 23rd, 2011 | 4:00 am

Raf wrote:

Kevin Russo is 27, Montero is 21.

This. And Montero proved he could dominate AAA last year.

7. July 23rd, 2011 | 8:58 am

@ Evan3457:
      Sample size doesn’t matter all of a sudden?

8. Evan3457
      July 23rd, 2011 | 11:54 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ Evan3457:
      Sample size doesn’t matter all of a sudden?

The point being that he struggled the first couple of months, and then, playing in a league where the average player was 3-4 years older than he was, he adjusted to them and killed the league the last two months, not the other way around, which is the usual thing with most prospects.

To me, this year is a right-off for Montero. I could be wrong, but I compare him to Hanley Ramirez (with the bat). Ramirez hit like crazy at 3 levels as a 20 year old including a couple of months at AA. The Sox sent him back to AA as a 21 year old, and he was bored with it and had a poor year. Then they traded him and Anibal Sanchez for Lowell and Beckett in the off-season, and he was an offensive force in the majors from the moment he arrived.

Montero isn’t going to steal 30-50 bases a year, but offensively, he should be really good. As good as Hanley? We’ll see, but his minor league record, year for year, is as good or better than Hanley’s, but at higher levels at the same age.

Of course, if the Yanks could trade Montero for a Beckett…

9. Evan3457
      July 23rd, 2011 | 11:55 am

“write-off”, not “right-off”. Jeez.

My kingdom for an edit button.

10. LMJ229
      July 23rd, 2011 | 1:36 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

“write-off”, not “right-off”. Jeez. My kingdom for an edit button.

Don’t sweat it. An edit button wouldn’t have cught that one anyway. The spelling was correct and “right off” is a legitimate phrase as in “right off the bat”. Don’t waste your kingdom for an edit button. Save it for something better like a world series championship. :)

July 23rd, 2011 | 2:52 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Save it for something better like a world series championship.

Agreed! :D