• Thames Mean Less PT For Posada?

Posted by on July 22nd, 2011 · Comments (11)

Did the Yankees pick-up Marcus Thames because they plan to have him be their right-handed batting DH? Then again, what does that say about Andruw Jones?

Comments on Thames Mean Less PT For Posada?

July 22nd, 2011 | 1:03 pm

I’m curious as well to see how he fits. It may be something as simple as a RH portion of a DH platoon, though I don’t see how someone like Jones wouldn’t fit the bill. I guess they prefer Thames’ power?

I am a bit disappointed that Jones hasn’t done more, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that he hasn’t gotten more consistent playing time what with Granderson & Gardner doing better than anticipated.

If I had to choose, I’d take Jones over Thames because the former at least can play some defense. Still don’t know what the Dodgers were thinking signing Thames.

Overall, I do suspect that this means we’ll see less PT for Posada, as the Yanks go to a DH platoon, provided Thames has anything left at this point.

2. July 22nd, 2011 | 1:06 pm

I wonder why Jorge hasn’t tried hitting just LH, this season, no matter who is throwing?

3. satchel
      July 22nd, 2011 | 1:17 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

My guess is this would be an unmitigated disaster. He has never hit LH against LH pitching in his entire career. I suspect that the look and feel of trying to do this would be SO radically different from what he’s used to that he’d do even worse than he does from the right side.

It’s just a guess though. Are there any documented instances of switch-hitters doing this so late in their careers? How bad was the adjustment period?

July 22nd, 2011 | 1:27 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I would think his numbers would be worse if he tried to do that.

5. July 22nd, 2011 | 2:04 pm

@ Raf: Have you seen his RH BA this season? Nothing could be worse than that.

6. July 22nd, 2011 | 2:07 pm

@ satchel: I know that JT Snow gave it up, late in his career. Others have too. I want to say Mickey Tettleton (sic?) and Wally Backman, but, I could be wrong.

July 22nd, 2011 | 2:48 pm

@ Steve Lombardi: LOL

Yeah, I’d imagine lefty on lefty would be worse.

BTW, I do remember Snow giving up switch hitting as well. I think the writing’s on the wall for Posada. Even counting the platoon split, he’s not hitting enough (.251/.333/.441) to warrant a FT roster spot, especially if his catching days are behind him (and TBH, I thought he’d see more time behind the plate than he has.)

If he wants to PH, be the 3rd C, and maybe back up 1B, I can see him coming back, but other than that… Well, it’s been fun.

8. LMJ229
      July 23rd, 2011 | 12:55 am

I would not be surprised to see Cashman trade for a left-handed DH/back-up 1B to platoon with Thames and release Posada. I hope it doesn’t happen but with Cashman you never know. He is not a sentimental guy.

July 23rd, 2011 | 10:20 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Chavez will be back soon. Even if Chavez manages to stick around for another couple of months, or they trade for a LH bat, I don’t see Posada being released.

10. LMJ229
      July 23rd, 2011 | 1:41 pm

Raf wrote:

I hope not. And Chavez can’t come back soon enough with the way Nunez has been playing defensively. Although I am glad we are getting a little look at Laird.

July 23rd, 2011 | 2:51 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

I am glad we are getting a little look at Laird.

From what little I’ve seen, his swing is too long.