• Thanks Yanks

Posted by on July 23rd, 2011 · Comments (6)

No, this one is not about Ralph Houk’s boat.

Last night, my seven-year old son was watching (no pun intended) the Yankees game just before his bed time.  It was 8:29 PM.  (Bedtime is 8:30 PM.  But, he’s allowed to listen to the game on the radio thereafter until he falls asleep.)  And, it was at 8:29 PM when Tex hit his slam – and my son was thrilled.

He often gets up before me on the weekend.  And, this morning, he was up at 7 AM and watching SportsCenter, as usual.  Then, he came crashing into my bedroom and woke up my wife with “Mom, I have to tell dad something.  We need to wake him up.”  At that point, I was up and knew what this was all about.  So, I told him, “Dude, I know, the Yankees won 17-7 last night.”  The smile on his face was worth a million dollars.  He then went on to tell my wife about the game – giving her what seemed like a replay of the entire third inning.

On my side, after he went to bed, the score was 14-2, Yanks, in the third inning.  Related, I knew this one was in the bag.  And, yesterday, we had free EPIX on FIOS – including On Demand.  So, I ditched the game and decided to watch a movie.

My wife was at a party last night.  (One of those Girls Nights Out things.)  And, this meant I had free pick on what to watch.  I never saw “Kick Ass” before – but, had heard a lot of people say it was good.

Having now watched it, you betcha it was good.  Fun movie.

Therefore, thanks Yanks – for putting that smile on my son’s face and for killing the game early, freeing me up to watch the flick.  Two bonuses on one game.  Sweet.

Comments on Thanks Yanks

1. clintfsu813
      July 23rd, 2011 | 8:52 am

I agree Kick Ass kicked much ass. This game did NOT put a smile on my face. Phil had NOTHING. Until further notice….Bust

2. July 23rd, 2011 | 1:43 pm

Hughes should get one more start, if he doesn’t get it done, send him to triple A for the month of August (if he still can be optioned). I’m starting to wonder about his physiological make-up. Twice in his career he seemed ready to make the leap only to fade badly (2009 and 2010). Perhaps Hughes is a back-end of the rotation guy trapped in the expectations of fans and management. Perhaps he is a starter/reliever being asked to do things he is just not capable of doing. Before he came to the majors there were scouts who thought he was more of a middle of the pack kind of pitcher who was caught up in the Yankee hype machine.

3. LMJ229
      July 23rd, 2011 | 2:07 pm

@ Joseph Maloney:
      Excellent point. The Yankees have gotten so good at hyping their own players that even their fans find it hard to believe them. The fact of the matter is, nobody really knows just how good a player will be until he actually plays at the major league level. So many of the hyped guys have fallen flat on their faces while guys that we never heard of have succeeded.

July 23rd, 2011 | 2:49 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

The hype for Hughes was legit, his numbers were solid across the board and he was in AAA as a 21y.o.

5. SteveF
      July 23rd, 2011 | 5:52 pm

An element of the Hughes hype was definitely age related. When you see a young guy hold his own in AAA, you get excited because the assumption is he’ll continue the rate of improvement he had from 18-21.

Some guys just don’t improve. I went back and looked at what scouts were saying, and they said he had two plus pitches (fastball, curve) with a promising change. One caveat was that his command of the fastball hadn’t completely returned after he had some shoulder issues.

What can we say now? He’s a two pitch pitcher. He’s lost velocity on his fastball and lost some bite on his curve. This could be injury related. He might not have the shoulder to handle a MLB pitching workload. (No shame in that. Statistically very few people do.)

And even if his shoulder is fine and the loss of velocity/bite is the result of mechanics, his best role right now is middle relief since he never developed an effective third pitch.

July 23rd, 2011 | 6:04 pm

SteveF wrote:

Adding to it, was the start against the Rangers where he blew out his hammy while in the process of throwing a no-no.