• That Was Close

Posted by on July 26th, 2011 · Comments (11)

I came straight home from work tonight and picked up my wife and kids – and we went to the movies. It was the 7:20 PM showing of Captain America.

Man, would I have kicked myself if I missed CC throw a perfect game and/or no-hitter.

I’ve seen every Yankees no-hitter since 1983 in real time. And, I don’t want that streak to end any time soon…

There’s few baseball joys that can compete with seeing that last out for the pitcher of your team, nailing the no-no. It’s major fist pump time.

Heck, I was late for work in 1983 because I didn’t want to leave the TV and see Rags get his.

Comments on That Was Close

1. 77yankees
      July 26th, 2011 | 10:44 pm

I was sitting here with my phone in hand, wondering when to text family members on the other side of the country just getting home from work, to put on MLB…..7th inning??…..after the 8th??

2. KPOcala
      July 27th, 2011 | 12:41 am

Pretty cool that the 18 K’s were the most for the Yanks in a game since Guidry in ’78. I wish that a lot of our younger fans could have seen him that year (actually in quite a few years), he was something. BTW, Steve, if you were Cashman would you back the truck up to get Ubaldo Jimenez? If so, who would you give up? Or would you rather have someone else (better or cheaper)?

3. KPOcala
      July 27th, 2011 | 12:53 am

BTW, IMHO the wheels are closer to falling off the Red Sox than the “experts” want to think about. And for Theo to make a big move will mean that his once vaunted farm system will be stripped almost bare. I believe the Yanks top 50 players in the organization (MLB included)are better than the Sox top 50. And if I’m Theo I’m very worried… Just sayin’……

4. redbug
      July 27th, 2011 | 6:57 am

Well, I WAS home watching the game and it felt like a perfect game was on the way from the 2nd inning on. CC was dealing. I cursed that damn rain!

5. July 27th, 2011 | 9:13 am

Is it just me, or, does it seem like CC’s price is going up with every start now?

6. July 27th, 2011 | 11:44 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Let me ask, how much did you think his price went up after his second-half with the Brewers from before? I feel the price hike would be similar.

7. The Sandman
      July 27th, 2011 | 12:13 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

Does it matter if his price goes up? The Yankees seem to have the resources to pay for him and I sure love watching have such a dominating season. Hopefully it continues through the World Series.

July 27th, 2011 | 12:23 pm

Brent wrote:

Even with that run with the Brewers, only the Yankees stepped up with the offer that he eventually agreed to. IIRC, the Brewers’ offer was nowhere near what the Yankees offered. CC tried shopping around, but no one was willing to match or exceed the Yankees’ offer.

9. LMJ229
      July 27th, 2011 | 10:21 pm

Funny how most professional athletes always seem to play their best in their walk years.

10. July 28th, 2011 | 9:13 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Except for Jeter :-)

July 28th, 2011 | 10:42 am

@ Steve Lombardi:

Jorge ain’t doing too hot himself :)