• What Were Some Yankees Fans Tweeting About At 11 PM Last Night?

Posted by on July 26th, 2011 · Comments (20)

Me?  Really?

Yeah, it’s true – see this chain:

This whole thing was in regard to this comment that I made the other day:

For me, it just seems like the Yankees master plan, after the Stick/Watson cadre was gone after 2001, has been “Get guys who can mash and beat the crap out of bad teams and then fatten up when you play the O’s, and Tampa when they sucked, and whatever other shitty teams happen to be around that season…and then pray to break even against Boston and the other bad boys…and get into the post-season that way.”

And, what happens in the post-season? See 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, etc. When they face a team who can pitch, they get it stuffed down their throats.

Yeah, I know, what about 2009? Two words: Anthony Galea.

Really. This is too funny. Just when I thought that no one read this blog because I’m a hack and I suck…well, that’s what many write about me…this morning I find out that I’m still the topic du jour for the late night tweeting crowd.

Go figure. I suppose that I should be honored that somebody (anybody?) still cares about what I’m writing here these days.

Again, this is hilarious. However, for the record, I wish those who keep saying I’m not a Yankees fan and/or hate the team would talk to someone who has attended a game with me and knows how much I care about this team.

Damn.  I love the Yankees.  I think about them every day.  Three-sixty-five days a year.  Been doing that since 1973.  I’ve raised my kids to be Yankees fans.

Anyone who insists that I’m not a Yankees fan – especially those who have never met me, ever – just doesn’t know what they are talking about…

In any event, I’ve been “tweeted about” in the past.  But, I thought those who liked to do that sort of thing had moved on to other things.  It’s just crazy that people still feel the need to discuss me and my Yankee fandom.  Gosh.  Should I feel flattered?

Comments on What Were Some Yankees Fans Tweeting About At 11 PM Last Night?

1. July 26th, 2011 | 10:49 am

To be fair though, when you posted the 2009 comment, I was a bit skeptical: not about your allegiance to the team, but to your discrediting of the 2009 team.

You and I both know that there are teams that have and will probably always have players using PEDs and other methods to get ahead. If you want to go back to 2004/2007 for that BoSox team, you can say “Five words: We’ll Find The Real Killers”. 2005? “Three words: Don’t stop using”. 2010? “Five words: Fear the Chemically-enhanced Beard”.

I go back to Schilling’s point in that there is probably not a team in the last 20 years (and frankly, you can go further back than that) that is all clean. I’m not the one to completely discredit a team because of PED use because many other teams, if not, all of them still use. If you want to discredit the Yankees, you gotta discredit every other team who has had either PED users or suspected PED users on the team, and that’s a slippery slope I don’t go on. I’m not a moral judge and baseball’s not a moral game.

If you rather discredit a well-put together World Series team and not enjoy 2009 (especially discrediting an entire player’s performance), that’s your prerogative, but I rather congratulate and enjoy the World Series win, rather than try to discredit it, which is where I feel many of those comments above stem from.

More specifically, to the Anthony Galea comment, I understand your reasons for disliking A-Rod, but does him being on the team really destroy your joy to watch the games, especially to the ability to enjoy the 2009 World Series win?

2. G.I. Joey
      July 26th, 2011 | 10:54 am

@ Brent:
      Well put.

July 26th, 2011 | 11:13 am

We know you love the Yankees, but you’ve also admitted that you’re less than enthused with the current crop of Yankees. We know your biases and allegiances.

If anything, I’d say McNally & Kabak have the more accurate takes than Mandel; you prefer Stick/Watson’s Yankees to Cashman’s Yankees, you’ve made that clear. You’re less than enthused about the current crop of Yankees (I read hate not in the context of you going to burn a cross on someone’s lawn, but in the context of a hater, one who looks to take someone/something down a notch), you’ve made that clear as well. Nothing wrong with that.

I guess you should feel flattered, but at the same time, you should look into maybe taking out a restraining order ;)

:D

4. July 26th, 2011 | 11:22 am

@ Brent:

A-Rod being on the team did not ruin my ability to enjoy the 2009 World Series win – not at all. After the World Series, like many other Yankees fans, I ran off to Modells to buy a ton of Championship gear and stuff for me and my kids. And, I was THRILLED beyond words for Pettitte/Mo/Jeter/Posada getting another ring. As a Yankees fan, I thought it was awesome that they opened up the new Stadium with a ring. Also, I was extremely happy for Damon and Matsui – two Yankees who I really LOVED having on the team – to have HUGE moments in the World Series.

OK, however, that all said, and I’ve blogged on this in the past, I would say that 90% of the Yankees success in the 2009 post-season was because of A-Rod. OK, maybe that’s a high number? Sabathia was huge too. (No pun intended.) And, Pettitte was Pettitte and I already talked about Damon’s legs and Godzilla’s bat. But, without A-Rod in the 2009 post-season, I am convinced that the Yankees do not reach the World Series. No question in my mind.

And, as I have written in the past, what A-Rod did in October 2009 was perhaps only matched by what Bonds did in October 2002. It was inhuman. Then, of course, we later find out about A-Rod’s connection to Anthony Galea that year – and Galea’s practice of dealing HGH.

Does that make me unhappy about the 2009 ring? No, no way. Does it make me worry that, someday, someone will have something to show that the Yankees 2009 ring was PED assisted? Sure, yes, it does. But, worrying about something that may happen doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy what happened.

FWIW, I agree with Schilling too. The more I think about it, you can wonder about a lot of teams in the last 20 years – Yankees included – that won rings and if they were aided by PEDs.

And, that’s vexing. It would be nice, as a Yankees fan, to tell RSN to stuff ’04 and ’07 because of PEDs. But, then, if something does come up with 2009, I would hate to have concede that ring to PEDs too.

July 26th, 2011 | 11:25 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

They can stuff it because they have a long way to go to catch up. ;)

6. July 26th, 2011 | 11:29 am

Raf wrote:

Just some parts of the team – not all of it. But, then again, is it written that you must love THE ENTIRE TEAM AND FRONT OFFICE to be a true fan?

In the 1970′s, I hated Reggie (at first) because I was a Munson guy. Does that mean I wasn’t a fan?

Or, what about all the Yankees fans out there who hated Big Stein when he was in his prime? Does that mean they weren’t really fans of the team?

I dislike Cashman – not the person, just his ability to put together a pitching staff. So, that means I’m not a Yankees fan? Then I guess all those who hated Stein in the past were not true Yankees fans too?

I think Phil Hughes is soft and I think that Nick Swisher has too much red light in him. Does that mean I’m not a Yankees fan?

What about all those Yankees fans who hated Kenny Lofton and Tony Womack? Does that mean they were not true fans because they disliked two members of the team?

Let’s be fair – you don’t have to love EVERYTHING about a team – and can dislike SOME of it – and still LOVE THE TEAM.

July 26th, 2011 | 12:02 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

No one says or said you have to love everything about the team. You have your biases and allegiances, just like everyone else. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to pine for the good old days, that’s perfectly fine, there’s nothing wrong with that. You’ve come around on some players (Mussina, Hughes) there are others that you probably will never warm up to (Rodriguez, Swisher). Nothing wrong with that. You’ve given credit where credit’s due, you’ve been wrong, you’ve been right. Doesn’t make you any less or more of a fan. Our priorities have shifted from when we were in our teens, 20′s 30′s; I don’t attend nearly as much games as I have before, I doubt you have too. Doesn’t make us less of a fan.

I know your dislikes aren’t/weren’t personal, I don’t think I implied that they were. It wasn’t my intention if I did.

I don’t doubt your sincerity nor your fandom. The only things I question are the conclusions you come to when the data you present don’t support your claims.

8. Corey Italiano
      July 26th, 2011 | 12:55 pm

Let’s not feed the trolls, Steve.

9. July 26th, 2011 | 1:21 pm

@ Corey Italiano: Gosh, I hope this doesn’t feed them. I sincerely wish they would all find more important things to fill their time with, etc. Spending so much attention and discussion on me is flat out stupid. Who the hell am I? One Yankees fan out of something like 50 million Yankees fans? Who cares about what I have to say? And, yet they do…strange.

10. KPOcala
      July 26th, 2011 | 4:13 pm

@ Steve Lombardi: Steve I think your a bit harsh on Cashman sometimes. We can’t know who was calling the shots in the early 2000′s. However, he was universally praised for the J. Vasquez trade, that he had traded for one of the top five pitchers in baseball. You’ve attacked Cashman for the Granderson trade, pointing last with glee how well that A-Jax was playing. Well, this year, where’s the mea culpas? As any “older fan” knows trades are tough to evaluate until 5 to sometimes 15 years have gone by. As for Hughes, I think that something has happened to his shoulder. I watched the game that he was no-hitting Texas through six a few years back. His curve ball had unreal spin on it, dropping 1-6 looking like a buzzsaw. I’ve yet to see that curve, all Hughes wants to do is throw a two-seamer, and a greatly diminished four-seamer with no real control. Something smells, and I “DO” hope that Cashman finds someone to take his place in the rotation. Also, you do have to give props to Cashman for “lucky Cashman” (v. insightful Epstein) for Garcia and Colon. One thing that I think that we can agree on is that Cashman needs to get a pair, bring up Montero as DH/1B/C and let Betances or Banuelos either take a rotation spot, or use them/him as a swing-man. That method of breaking in promising arms has worked for over a hundred years. To play it otherwise is nothing more than job politicking…

11. KPOcala
      July 26th, 2011 | 4:15 pm

BTW, I’m sure your not sleeping well after being attacked on twitter ;)

12. July 26th, 2011 | 4:41 pm

@ KPOcala: What’s the difference between a bunch of 10-year olds chattering on about nothing using Transformer Walkie-Talkies in their mother’s backyard and a bunch of 20-something year old’s tweeting on about something stupid in cyberspace using their smart phones? Not much at all, if you ask me. So, yes, if I’m up at night, it’s not this sort of stuff that’s costing me Zzzzz’s. I’m an adult in the real world and have big boy things to be worried about…not this children’s play-time games stuff.

July 26th, 2011 | 4:48 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

That’s the thing I find so odd. I mean we don’t see eye to eye on certain topics, but I wouldn’t call you out on twitter or FB or wherever. I understand that by putting your name out there, you will have people say stuff about you, but nothing like this…

Could be worse, you could be a newspaper columnist. Definitely some mouthbreathers there :D

14. July 26th, 2011 | 5:00 pm

@ Raf:That’s the funny part for me. There are a few popular Yankees blogs out there where I think the authors are a bunch of windbags. I don’t find what they say to be useful or entertaining. And, I’m not even sure that they have a clue. So, do I read them to see what they’re saying? Hell, no. That’s a total waste of my time. I place WAY TOO high a value on my time to waste on things like that.

And, yet, some people, who have nothing but complaints about me, and my Yankee fandom, keep coming back here to see what I have to say – and then spend even more time on it, by discussing it with their friends.

Wow. Is that silly, or what?

15. Corey Italiano
      July 26th, 2011 | 5:22 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Recognizing them and their existence gives is what feeds them…if you build it, they will come.

16. Corey Italiano
      July 26th, 2011 | 5:29 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Wow. Is that silly, or what?

I hear what you’re saying, but honestly I think it’s silly that you care that they tweet about you (and, frankly, that you follow them). You consistently calling them out every few months just gives them a fresh new breath of air (and let’s be real here, it’s always the same people).

17. July 26th, 2011 | 6:08 pm

You blog about something, people are going to talk about it. And discuss your motivations. People discuss all sorts of articles on Twitter, they (and me, obviously), just happen to disagree with you often and don’t believe you like the current team. You are making it sound like this is going on behind your back, but hey, you’ve made it very clear that you have no interest in me commenting here, and like I said, I discuss a ton of blogging on Twitter. Yours comes up every couple of days. I’m really not sure what is so untoward or trollish about this. Anyone who disagrees with you or questions your motivations is a troll? Please.

And for someone who couldn’t give a rat’s ass about what is said about him, you sure seem to keep close tabs on the twitter conversations about you and thought it important enough to copy and paste some tweets and write a whole post on the issue.

18. Jake1
      July 26th, 2011 | 6:42 pm

Steve u really care what those bitter twentysomethings think? They spend all their days on twitter and never leave tge house. They are the 2011 equivalent of shut ins.

19. Corey Italiano
      July 26th, 2011 | 6:59 pm

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

Anyone who disagrees with you or questions your motivations is a troll? Please.

You know as well as I do (better, since you’re doing it) that what’s said is often debasing. That’s about as troll-like as it gets.

20. July 26th, 2011 | 9:57 pm

For the record, I don’t follow “them” on Twitter. Someone gave me a heads-up on this one.

As far as Twitter goes, I have it set up, automatically, that posts here get sent to Twitter. It’s part of a WP plug-in that I set up a loooooong time ago. In general, I don’t “tweet” – maybe five times I’ve done it since I opened the Twitter account.

I just don’t see the need to micro blog every stupid thought that comes into my head, via twitter, like some other Yankees bloggers who sit there and tweet all day long…as if someone cared what they thought every second.

Yes, I do “follow” some – but, I don’t read them through Twitter. I followed some so that I would show up in their list – and so that maybe some would then follow me…back when I once cared about getting people to read this blog. But, that care has long since passed.

As far as this conversation, I can see it getting unpleasant, so, it’s not worth keeping open. Let the twits tweet about that on Twitter.