• Cashman: “I Like The Team We Have” & It’s “Hard To Upgrade On That”

Posted by on July 28th, 2011 · Comments (6)

Via the Post -

Brian Cashman said on Thursday he still doesn’t anticipate making any moves before Sunday afternoon’s trade deadline, even as questions surrounding the rotation and the bullpen remain.

“I’m going to be hard-pressed to find anything better than getting Bartolo Colon and Phil Hughes off the disabled list,” the Yankees GM said at a Hope Week charity event on Staten Island. “I can’t imagine I’m going to run into anything but you’ve still got to go through the motions.”

Those motions no doubt include looking at Rockies’ starter Ubaldo Jimenez and the Dodgers’ Hiroki Kuroda.

But Cashman believes Hughes will get back to the pitcher he was a year ago, even after manager Joe Girardi opened the door to a competition between Hughes and Ivan Nova, who could start for the Yankees on Saturday in one half of a doubleheader against the Orioles.

“His stuff is there. We’re seeing it,” Cashman said of Hughes, who surrendered two runs in six innings in a loss to the Mariners on Wednesday.

“We’re prepared for chaos if it comes before Sunday’s deadline. But I like the team we have.”

Cashman said he was “listening to everything,” and that likely includes offers for another lefty in the pen to join Boone Logan.

“If it’s someone that fits, great,” Cashman said.

But he repeated that he’s not optimistic.

“I go into the marketplace with a team that’s a championship-caliber team as it sits,” Cashman said. “It’s hard to upgrade on that.”

There you have it. Cashman is happy with a rotation of CC, A.J., Colon, Hughes and Garcia. Let’s just hope that’s not a mistake.

Comments on Cashman: “I Like The Team We Have” & It’s “Hard To Upgrade On That”

1. clintfsu813
      July 28th, 2011 | 12:28 pm

Didn’t Texas just make the WS with a rotation that wasn’t THAT much better?

2. esgriff
      July 28th, 2011 | 12:43 pm

What’s he supposed to say? We desperately need starting pitching? We don’t trust the guys we have and need to badly to make a move. That would do wonders for driving up trade prices and killing our pitcher’s confidence.

3. satchel
      July 28th, 2011 | 1:14 pm

I agree with esgriff. Cashman is saying what he has to say – it means exactly nothing about what he really thinks about the state of the team. And it means exactly nothing for what he’s really working on or not working on for the deadline. It is empty talk.

4. Scout
      July 28th, 2011 | 1:16 pm

esgriff wrote:

That. Cashman is not going to announce that he thinks Hughes has morphed into the Pillsbury Doughboy, even if that’s what he suspects. If you appear desperate, you get fleeced in a deal. A smart GM pursues multiple possible deals — Kuroda, Jimenez, Danks, others — in the hope that one pans out. Of course, if you believe that Cashman is a complete and utter fool, then you take his statements at face value. I’m not a Cashman acolyte, but I give him some credit for knowing how to negotiate.

July 28th, 2011 | 2:48 pm

And even if he doesn’t make a deal by Sunday, there’s still the waiver period through the end of August to make a deal.

6. redbug
      July 28th, 2011 | 5:56 pm

I agree w/ everyone who said it’s what Cashman has to say. Plus, I beleive him in that it’s tough for the Yanks to make a great deal. Teams ask and expect much more from the Yanks than any other team.