• Jeter On HBO Tonight

Posted by on July 28th, 2011 · Comments (13)

More on this via the AP -

Derek Jeter allowed cameras to follow him during his pursuit of 3,000 hits partly because “if and when” he has children, he’d like them to be able to see him as a player.

In the hour-long documentary that premieres Thursday night on HBO, the Yankees shortstop says he’s jealous of teammates whose kids get to watch their dads while they’re still playing.

New York’s normally private captain wore an in-game microphone and did an interview at his home for the first time for “Derek Jeter 3K.” MLB Productions got some unexpected drama when Jeter went on the disabled list with a calf injury, and the crews accompanied him to rehab in Tampa, Fla.

Jeter had control over what was shot, but he didn’t see the documentary until after it was completed.

There are no tears or tantrums from a player renowned for avoiding controversy. Noting with a grin that it’s an HBO program, Jeter does curse once or twice. The footage includes shots of Jeter hosting friends for a lunch cooked by his personal chef, when they discuss why all the stars of “The Bachelor” are white.

Jeter did a two-hour interview at his New York apartment a day after he reached 3,000 hits with a home run as part of a 5-for-5 day against the Rays on July 9. Also agreeing to an interview is his actress girlfriend, Minka Kelly, who succinctly sums up the timing of the calf injury: “It sucked.”

Of the delay in reaching the milestone, Jeter says, “I felt like I was disappointing people.”

He concedes that selfishly he wishes his mother and sister could have been there when he hit No. 3,000 — they missed the game because of his nephew’s christening.

Look at that, Jeter with a Mookie-like “Sal, how come you ain’t got no brothers up on the wall here?” moment. Only on HBO!

Seriously, I’m looking forward to this one. I hope that it’s good.

Comments on Jeter On HBO Tonight

1. throwstrikes
      July 28th, 2011 | 3:04 pm

“Jeter had control over what was shot…”

That makes it more a commercial than a documentary then.

2. G.I. Joey
      July 28th, 2011 | 4:28 pm

throwstrikes wrote:

“Jeter had control over what was shot…”That makes it more a commercial than a documentary then.

I mean having control over what is shot isn’t quite the same as having control over how the thing is edited and what is in the final cut. One could argue that he took control over what was shot as to not interfere with his privacy or disrupt his baseball routine. One could also argue that this is another example of Jeter obsessing over his image.

July 28th, 2011 | 4:49 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

Could be, and he has every right to do so.

4. G.I. Joey
      July 28th, 2011 | 5:28 pm

Raf wrote:

G.I. Joey wrote:One could also argue that this is another example of Jeter obsessing over his image.Could be, and he has every right to do so.

He sure does, but I don’t think he has done such a great job of it lately IMO.

5. G.I. Joey
      July 28th, 2011 | 5:32 pm

I’m sure this will be some great TV. Oh wait, it’s not TV, it’s HBO :)

6. redbug
      July 28th, 2011 | 5:50 pm

I plan to watch but will be surprised any long-time Yankee fan will learn anything new about Jeter. I don’t blame him one bit for protecting his privacy and image as best he can through the years. He has to be carefull of his (and his family’s) security. And, his image is valued in terms of what fans admore about him; and, the monetary value.

7. clintfsu813
      July 29th, 2011 | 10:48 am

Watched it last night and loved it. It was so cool getting a behind the scenes look at Jeter and this journey to 3000, along with the views of his teammates and family.

8. G.I. Joey
      July 29th, 2011 | 11:06 am

This is a def. must see for any Yankees fan.

9. July 29th, 2011 | 12:12 pm

I went for a run last night at 8:30 and got home at 8:57 – just in time to catch the beginning. I jumped in the shower around 9:30. (Finally stopped sweating by then.) And, I didn’t get back to it until around 9:45.

I liked what I saw. I’d love to freeze frame the shots from the upper deck behind HP to see if I’m in there somewhere. I don’t recall seeing a camera there – but, then again, I never looked back when I was at the game.

I intend on watching the whole thing, from start to finish, soon.

I know exactly where Jeter is coming from with this one. I was 40 when I had my 1st kid and 42 when I had my second. Betcha Jeter will be around the same ages, give or take.

One of the things that bugs me the most is that my kids will never know what I was like when I was younger. And, the imagine that they have in their head, of me, will never be younger than when I was in my late 40′s (where I am now).

At least Jeter has a ton of video for his kids to see – when they are born. That’s nice.

10. G.I. Joey
      July 29th, 2011 | 4:16 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

My dad had me when he was 40 as well and although I obviously never interacted with him when he was younger, I have a very good idea of what he was like back in the day through pictures, video, and stories from him, my mother, his friends, aunts and uncles etc. It would have maybe bugged me if he couldn’t play catch with me growing up, but that wasn’t the case and it isn’t the case with you either so don’t let it bug you.

11. July 29th, 2011 | 4:48 pm

@ G.I. Joey:

Thanks. Yup. That’s why I watch what I eat, keep myself at 13% body fat, and workout 4+ days a week – so that I will never be on the sidelines when I have the chance to play with the kids! It’s hard work – but, even at “almost 49″ I see that I’m in better shape than many of the other fathers in my kids’ circles (and some of them are ten years younger than me). I just hope I can keep it up for the next twenty years or so! :-)

12. July 29th, 2011 | 4:49 pm

Add on: But, of course, none of this changes the fact that I’m bald and gray – and that’s why I look so damn old!

July 29th, 2011 | 7:15 pm

There’s hope for me yet :)