• Yanks Offered Hughes For Ubaldo Jimenez, Rox Pass, Trade Him To Tribe

Posted by on July 30th, 2011 · Comments (33)

Joel Sherman tweets:

Yankees took all Rockies wanted off table – Banuelos, Betances, Montero, Nova – and offered Hughes and others. Rockies infuriated turned fully to Indians to speed up Ubaldo talks. Yankees were trying to sell their trouble RH Hughes plus for Rockies troubled RH, but Rox don’t see Ubaldo as troubled at all. Indians were told that Drew Pomeranz and Alex White had be in deal, and apparently will be Rockies. That would mirror what Rox wanted from Yankees a high-end prospect (Pomeranz) and good one to go in rotation now — like Betances/Nova.

Sources: Here, Here, Here, Here and Here.

More from the Boston Herald: Ubaldo Jimenez scratched from a start; deal to Indians imminent?

Hey, kudos to Cashman for trying to dump Doughboy Hughes. Oh, my, how Phranchise Phil has phallen…

Comments on Yanks Offered Hughes For Ubaldo Jimenez, Rox Pass, Trade Him To Tribe

1. clintfsu813
      July 30th, 2011 | 8:11 pm

Thankful thats over. So happy Cash didn’t clean house for this guy. He’s Cleveland’s problem now. They gave up a ton for Ubaldo.

2. Evan3457
      July 30th, 2011 | 10:37 pm

What you didn’t say: Yanks asked to give Jimenez physical prior to official completion of deal 4 days ago, and Rockies said no.

What do you make of that?

3. LMJ229
      July 30th, 2011 | 11:05 pm

Cashman’s trade offer of Hughes for Jimenez reminds me of the ridiculous trade offers you hear from Mets fans on the radio (you know, the Carlos Beltran for Roy Halladay plus prospects ones). The trade offer is so ludicrous and insulting it makes you wonder how Brian Cashman can be taken seriously by his fellow GMs.

Don’t get me wrong – it’s not that I wanted Jimenez. But if you are going to make a trade offer at least make it a legitimate one.

4. Evan3457
      July 30th, 2011 | 11:13 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

OK, let’s recap here:

1. The Rockies demand 3 top prospects for Jimenez.
      2. Jimenez is pitching with diminished stuff this year.
      3. The Rockies won’t allow a physical before the trade is official.

What does this tell you?

July 31st, 2011 | 12:11 am

Offering Hughes in a trade doesn’t mean that his stock has fallen.

July 31st, 2011 | 12:17 am

I would like to hear why the Rockies were “infuriated” as per Sherman’s tweet.

7. July 31st, 2011 | 8:15 am

FWIW, it’s great to see Ubaldo end up in the AL with a contender. Gives us a perfect chance to see if he wsa really worth trading for, or not.

8. July 31st, 2011 | 8:16 am

Evan3457 wrote:

The Rockies won’t allow a physical before the trade is official.What does this tell you?

Right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez, perhaps the biggest prize on the trade market, was traded to the Cleveland Indians on Saturday pending a physical, the Colorado Rockies announced.

9. July 31st, 2011 | 8:18 am

Raf wrote:

Offering Hughes in a trade doesn’t mean that his stock has fallen.

Really? The guy was untouchable in the Johan Santana talks. And, now, the Yankees are looking to move him. That’s not a drop?

July 31st, 2011 | 9:58 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

No, it isn’t. Montero was “untouchable” yet offered for Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay. Doesn’t mean that his stock has fallen.

The Yanks had offers for Igawa but preferred to keep him instead; does that mean that Igawa’s stock has risen? :)

11. Corey Italiano
      July 31st, 2011 | 10:05 am

Yanks dropped the ball here, Ubaldo is a lot better than you guys think.

12. Scout
      July 31st, 2011 | 10:13 am

@ Corey Italiano:

Agree fully. Ubaldo would have given the Yankees a legitimate number two starter in a play-off series, something they now lack. C.C. stacks up well against any other number one starter the Yankees may face, but after that there is an enormous drop-off. Of course, it is possible the Yankees will prevail in one series, perhaps even two, with this rotation, but the odds are strongly against it. Jimenez would have increased the probability of post-season success significantly.

July 31st, 2011 | 10:13 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Yanks dropped the ball here, Ubaldo is a lot better than you guys think.

It’s possible, but if true I’d like to know why the Rockies were balking on a physical (as per Sherman’s tweets).

Not that it would’ve scuttled the trade; Jaret Wright failed a physical, the Yanks signed him anyway.

14. Corey Italiano
      July 31st, 2011 | 10:24 am

Raf wrote:

Who knows if that is true…I mean they are letting the Indians give him a physical right?

15. LMJ229
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:01 am

Raf wrote:

Offering Hughes in a trade doesn’t mean that his stock has fallen.

Agreed, watching him pitch is all the proof you need.

16. LMJ229
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:04 am

Raf wrote:

I would like to hear why the Rockies were “infuriated” as per Sherman’s tweet.

Because the Yankees pulled their top prospects off the table and offered lesser ones according to the article.

17. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:06 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

From today’s Post column by Joel Sherman:

Colorado had requested Jesus Montero, Dellin Betances and Ivan Nova. The Yankees not only refused that package, but also refused to include any of the three players in their offer. They did so largely because they had asked Colorado in mid-week if they could perform a physical on Jimenez if a deal was agreed to, and the Rockies refused, The Post has learned.

…which seems weird to me, but if Sherman is right, then the Yankees did exactly the right thing in not trading 3 top young players for a pig in a poke.

18. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:07 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Raf wrote:
      I would like to hear why the Rockies were “infuriated” as per Sherman’s tweet.

AFTER the Rockies refused them the physical exam of Jimenez. Wouldn’t you? I would.

19. LMJ229
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:08 am

Raf wrote:

The Yanks had offers for Igawa but preferred to keep him instead.

Raf wrote:

Jaret Wright failed a physical, the Yanks signed him anyway.

Just a couple more examples of Cashman’s incompetence when it comes to pitching.

20. LMJ229
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:22 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Yes, I agree, I would too. I just don’t believe the NY papers, they are much too competitive and there is no accountability so they will literally make stuff up to sell papers. I don’t believe that the Rockies wouldn’t allow a physical. The deal with the Indians is pending a physical so there’s the proof to me.

July 31st, 2011 | 11:23 am

@ LMJ229: In Igawa’s case, Cashman was overruled; he was set to trade him to the Padres. There were a couple other Japanese teams that Igawa was set to be traded to, but Igawa refused.

This was per the Igawa article Steve posted not too long ago.

22. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:24 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Raf wrote:
      The Yanks had offers for Igawa but preferred to keep him instead.
      Raf wrote:
      Jaret Wright failed a physical, the Yanks signed him anyway.

About Wright, yes, absolutely.
      About Igawa, no, because someone higher up than Cashman vetoed that deal, as detailed in the recent NY Times article on Igawa.

July 31st, 2011 | 11:29 am

LMJ229 wrote:

The deal with the Indians is pending a physical so there’s the proof to me.

OTOH, it’s not like the Yanks have reasons to make stuff up. There’s also the fact that the Yanks could’ve matched the package the Indians sent to Colorado. It may have been an overpay, but I would’ve taken that deal if I were the Rockies; they get a starter who could help immediately, a hitting prospect they either keep behind the plate or move to 1B and another arm that is a year or two away. They may even wind up promoting Betances this year. At the very least, it’s a jump off point and the sides “tweak” their respective offers, eventually agreeing on a package.

24. Greg H.
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:37 am

I’m glad he’s not going to the Red Sox. I would have liked to see him in the rotation as a definite upgrade to what we have, but really. Montero, Betances and Nova? Boilled down, he’s a NL West Pitcher with one tremendous season behind him and a few question marks that could be magnified in the AL East. He’s not King Felix or Tim Lincicum or Roy Halliday or Cliff Lee.

Montero is one of baseball’s top prospects, Betances projects very well, and Nova is a proven ML starter at this point, who is only 24 and looks like he could be central to this rotation for a few years. Those three would bring more offseason, and/or potentially contribute as soon as next season. My gut says that the Yanks made the right call here, but we’ll have to see.

25. ken
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:37 am

The subtext of this entire thread is how hard it is to predict how young pitchers will (or won’t) develop. Hughes looks like a bust but who knew? Would anyone dare risk anything of value in predicting Ubaldo’s future career? Even Cliff Lee was in the low minors and about to quit baseball at the age of 24.

I agree that the Yanks would probably be better this season with Ubaldo but it was not worth the boatload of top prospects that Rox demanded. Cashman’s position, to me is very defensible: don’t mortgage the future for one player of uncertain value.

26. LMJ229
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:42 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Yanks dropped the ball here, Ubaldo is a lot better than you guys think.

Personally, I’m not really sold on the guy. He had a tremendous first half last year but has not been so good since and possibly has some arm troubles. Remind you of someone?

OK, so now I’m arguing against my previous post. Well I’m a woman so I reserve the right to change my mind. :)

27. LMJ229
      July 31st, 2011 | 11:47 am

Has anyone looked at Banuelos and Betances stats? They look very similarly disappointing to me.

28. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2011 | 12:35 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Banuelos is pitching better lately. So much so, the Yanks just promoted him to AAA to see if he can be ready to help in the post-season. Jack Curry even went so far as to comment they might use him in the rotation in the post-season. Seems dubious to me, but there it is.

According to a 3rd hand source (a reply to a thread at River Ave Blues, citing a tweet from Baseball Prospectus’ prospect maven Kevin Goldstein), the only reason the Indians got the trade-pending-physical guarantee was because the Rockies, for some perverse reason known only to them, allowed Jimenez to start, and to throw an incredible 45 pitches in his 1st inning meltdown last night.

With the Yanks out of it, and the Indians’ offer of Pomeranz, White and flotsam by far the best on the table, maybe the Rockies felt this was the only to keep the Indians in it; the only way to avoid losing the opportunity to trade Jimenez for a decent haul.

July 31st, 2011 | 3:29 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

As was John Smoltz when he was traded; same age (20), same level (AA) ;)

30. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2011 | 4:25 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Yanks so disappointed with Banuelos, they promoted him to AAA today.

31. 77yankees
      July 31st, 2011 | 8:15 pm

I don’t see Jimenez as a top shelf AL rotation guy. I don’t think he’ll flop with the Indians, but he won’t be worth what Colorado was trying to sell him for.

32. Greg H.
      August 1st, 2011 | 1:43 pm

77yankees wrote:

Thank you. Exactly my impression.

33. Evan3457
      August 1st, 2011 | 1:49 pm

If healthy, I think Jimenez will do well for the Indians. Still don’t think it was worth the risk of no physical before trade was official combined with two top prospects plus Nova and Hughes.