• Worst, Game, Ever?

Posted by on August 9th, 2011 · Comments (11)

I had a long trip home tonight after work.  So, after dinner, I hit the gym (to let off some steam).  After a nice workout, I got home around 9 PM.

Instead of picking up the game, I decided to watch Predators on HBO In Demand. (I had never seen it before tonight.)

The movie ended just after the final out of the Yankees game – just in time for me to catch the recap of what happened.

A Burnett melt-down in the sixth.  Mo taken yard in the ninth.  And, the Grandy Man getting “Jeff Nelson’ed” to end it with the winning run at the plate.

Granted, I only saw the “low-lights,” but, is it just me, or, is this possibly the worst Yankees game of the season to date?

Comments on Worst, Game, Ever?

1. LMJ229
      August 9th, 2011 | 11:14 pm

Yeah, tonight’s game really sucked but I’d say Sunday’s game was worse because:
      1) It was against the Sox.
      2) It was for first place.
      3) It kept us from finally taking a series against the Red Sox.
      4) It was a walk-off.
      Seems Mo is in one of his mini slumps. We know he’s good for one a year. It just serves to remind us how spoiled we are.

2. August 9th, 2011 | 11:19 pm

OK, how about “worst back-to-back games of the season” then?

3. Zach
      August 9th, 2011 | 11:42 pm

I don’t think today’s game was the worst because there were some definite positives (Wade K’ing the side in the 7th, Robertson shutdown eighth, Burnett a little better than last time, Jeter’s 2 out 2-run single to tie the game in the 7th).

Worst back to back games… definitely.

4. ctkaiser
      August 10th, 2011 | 12:52 am

Definitely worst back to back. Girardi has to find a balance between keeping Mo rested and keeping him sharp. Still think he should have brought him in for the 10th at Fenway. 9 pitches with a day off to follow! Had to go to Hughes so he would have an excuse for pitching Nova on Wednesday instead of Hughes on Tuesday. Hughes is struggling to be an effective starter which he was last start and now Girardi is going to jerk him around and put him in the pen for one game just to screw with him. He should admit the obvious. Nova has gone from a guy who could not get through 5 innings last year to one of the top 3 starters on the staff.

August 10th, 2011 | 7:05 am

Definitely a frustrating loss.

Don’t know what Burnett was thinking throwing anything other than fastballs to a catcher not hitting his weight. He’s hitting .181, fer cryin out loud.

While I understand the logic behind Granderson trying to get into scoring position, it’s one of those things where you need to be 100% sure that you’ll make it. They’re going to pitch to Teix regardless.

6. redbug
      August 10th, 2011 | 8:55 am

I hope Mo isn’t hurt, or worse, that his age isn’t catching up to him.

Different topic…Wang pitched 6 scoreless last night vs the Cubs for the win. 81 pitches, 53 strikes, 1 ko, 2 walks. 11 ground out vs 4 flys. ERA down to 3.60

7. redbug
      August 10th, 2011 | 9:03 am

Here’s the difference between a smart player and one who won’t learn from his mistakes from last night:

AJ: “about the Bobby Abreu homer. “It’s two rows up,” he said. On the walk to Peter Bourjos, Burnett thought he “barely” missed the strike zone. The go-ahead, two-run double was a “pretty good hook” to Jeff Mathis, who came to the plate hitting .180 with one extra-base hit since July 2.

“I wouldn’t change a lot that I did,” Burnett said. “I pretty much pitched with conviction all night.”

Mo: “You have to make sure that a pitch gets there, and this time I didn’t.”

August 10th, 2011 | 9:12 am

The Abreu HR was a YS special. I have no problem with that. The walk was a little irritating, but with Burnett it’s expected. The pitch selection to Mathis, OTOH was annoying.

Wasn’t too happy about that strike 2 call to Teix in the 9th.

9. K-V-C
      August 10th, 2011 | 9:26 am

If Mr. Steinbrenner was still around,something would happen today.

If I was Girardi I would send A.J. to the pen, enough kid gloves with this clown!

Clueless Joe and the american league need to do something about these umpires. We had the doublewide plate last night as well as bat-ears on the home plate ump.

10. nwyank
      August 10th, 2011 | 11:40 am

I smell a 5 or 6 game losing streak, which is the Yankee custom after an impressive win streak. Burnett? Diminished fb, but still an OK pitcher. Normally doesn’t get much run support. The offense needs to score more than 4 runs, which they haven’t these past few games.
      Seems like former players kill the Yanks; Abreu, Melky, Matsui.

11. ken