• Jorgie’s Grand Day

Posted by on August 13th, 2011 · Comments (13)

Raise your batting glove-free hand if you think it was kinda cool for Jorge Posada to have a big day at the Stadium this afternoon…and on National T.V. too.

My hand, by the way, is up. Way up there.

I guess it’s true: Old tigers, sensing the end, they’re at their most fierce.

Comments on Jorgie’s Grand Day

August 13th, 2011 | 9:59 pm

They should bench Jorge before more nationally televised games.

2. JeremyM
      August 13th, 2011 | 10:14 pm

Maybe the rest did some good, similar to Jeter’s DL trip. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

3. August 13th, 2011 | 11:14 pm

I don’t think Jorge intends to retire at the end of the year. If the Yanks don’t give him a contract for 2012(and I don’t believe they will), I wouldn’t be surprised to see him wearing a Tampa Bay uniform next year.

4. Evan3457
      August 14th, 2011 | 12:07 am

It was very cool.

Having said that, one big day doesn’t undo a month plus of futility.

If Jorge decides to play again next year, it’ll have to be with someone else. That’s sad, but that’s the way it is. If he goes to Tampa, I can live with that.

August 14th, 2011 | 12:13 am

You guys don’t see Posada getting a 1 year deal with the Yanks at a cut rate (a la Bernie in 2006)?

6. redbug
      August 14th, 2011 | 5:48 am

I was really happy for him. I hope he can continue to contribute here and there the rest of the way. He’s been some great Yankee.

7. Jim TreshFan
      August 14th, 2011 | 8:18 am

Raf wrote:

There’s a few differences here.
      Bernie was 37 in 2006. Jorge will be 40 next year.
      Bernie could still play in the field in 2006, starting 77 games in the OF. Jorge can’t do anything but DH at this point, and I doubt he’d get anything close to 77 starts there.
      Bernie’s swan song in 2006 wasn’t a hit (he wasn’t offered anything for 2007), so there’s no reason for a reprise.

August 14th, 2011 | 9:13 am

@ Jim TreshFan: Bernie couldn’t play the field, he was done by 2003; that was the reason Lofton was signed for the 2004 season. That he started that many games in the field speaks more to Torre’s sense of loyalty, not Bernie’s ability.

I was thinking that if Posada caught a few games this season that he’d go into next year as the 3rd catcher, and I’m a bit surprised that he hasn’t caught at all this year. May have been the case had Cervelli been traded, I don’t know. But the role I envisioned Posada this season was primary DH, 3rd C, and backup 1B.

9. JeremyM
      August 14th, 2011 | 10:25 am

Posada physically should not be behind the plate anymore- he failed a memory test of some kind during the offseason and has suffered from headaches into this season from what I understand. With the kind of stuff that we are learning about concussions, there is no reason he should be behind the plate anymore. That said, I could see him trying to hang on another year with some catching work with either the Rays or the Mets. There are plenty of boxers that shouldn’t be hit in the face any longer and they’re still out there.

Here’s an article on Jorge’s issues: http://tinyurl.com/43h6otq All that said, assuming the Yankees are in position to make the playoffs on the last day of the season, it would be nice if he got a few innings at catcher to wrap up his Yankees career. And Bernie had a decent 2006, he was a pretty good backup and as I recall, whomever they went with in lieu of him in 2007 was worthless- I’m a little foggy on that one.

10. August 14th, 2011 | 11:17 am

JeremyM wrote:

Oh Melky.

11. K-V-C
      August 14th, 2011 | 12:16 pm

There is no way that Posada will have a contract with the Yankees next year. The Yankees have the WORST stats for DH in the league. They gave him every chance to succeed this year and he flopped.

12. JeremyM
      August 14th, 2011 | 2:08 pm

@ Brent:
      Wasn’t Melky basically a starter though? It’s all foggy :) Melky, Damon, and Abreu, with Matsui as the DH? Guess not, looks like Matsui was the left-fielder. Giambi must have been the primary DH. It all makes sense now!

August 15th, 2011 | 11:52 am

@ JeremyM: Thanks for the link!