• Posada Open To New Team In 2012

Posted by on August 15th, 2011 · Comments (8)

Via Mark Hale -

Jorge Posada wearing anything but Yankees pinstripes? That would have seemed impossible a few months ago.

Not anymore.

Posada, a career-long Yankee who is celebrating his 20th year with the organization, said he would consider playing for another team once his contract is up at the end of this season.

“It could [happen],” Posada told The Post yesterday. “I don’t know what’s going to happen after this year. But we’ll see.”

That’s quite a change from Saturday, when Posada lauded Yankees fans after smashing a grand slam and driving in six runs in a 9-2 win over the Rays in his first game in a week.

Afterwards, manager Joe Girardi called Posada “a beloved Yankee.” And Posada, who took a curtain call after his grand slam, prasied Yankees fans for being “so supportive” of him.

“The fans are a big reason why I love playing the game, and especially here,” Posada said Saturday. “I play for them.”

Nevertheless, Posada would consider playing for another team, though he admitted leaving The Bronx would be difficult.

And it almost happened before. Posada pointed out yesterday he had been “very close” to leaving the Yankees for the Mets after the 2007 season. He confirmed the Mets offered him a five-year contract, but he elected to turn down that deal and re-sign with the Yankees.

Posada, who will celebrate his 40th birthday on Wednesday, is in the final year of the four-year contract he signed that year, and this season has been a maddening one.

What’s the market for 41-year old designated hitters coming off a season in which they batted .237?

Comments on Posada Open To New Team In 2012

1. Greg H.
      August 15th, 2011 | 11:14 am

That market is very thin, to be sure, but some team needing a DH/mentor might bite. On the Yankees, that market is zero. After this season, it’s time for Jorge to sip some reality potion. Barring a late season hot streak, he’s done, and I hope he retires after this year (with a sixth ring) – as a Yankee – with highest honors.

August 15th, 2011 | 11:52 am

Steve L. wrote:

I figure he’ll get a one year deal somewhere for his “veteran presence.” I feel the same way towards this as I did Jeter. While it would be nice if he retires a Yankee, life goes on if he doesn’t.

3. August 15th, 2011 | 12:51 pm

Maybe, just MAYBE, a team like Oakland or Baltimore or Seattle gives him a NRI next Spring with a contract offer 1/15th of what he’s making now. And, if they do, I doubt that Posada accepts that. He’ll out like Bernie…as a Yankee…not playing…but not “retiring” until sometime around 2013.

It would be nice if he could go out without bad blood. Maybe he gets Tony Pena’s job if someone makes him a MGR. But, no way is he playing after this season.

4. #15
      August 15th, 2011 | 1:42 pm

If Jorge were smart he’d have walked into Girardi’s office after Saturday’s game and retired with a smile on his face.

He’s been a huge part of a long-term success story, and has earned his place in Yankee history. Now he needs to be part of a graceful departure. He could have worked out some deal to get the rest of this year’s money in exchange for a special assigment in the organization. or something like that.

Time to think long term #20.

5. redbug
      August 15th, 2011 | 6:01 pm

I assume he loves playing the game an just isn’t ready to hang them up. There’s nothing wrong w/ that. I don’t like the writer’s implication that he’d be disloyal to Yankee fans if he played elsewhere. I don’t see the Yanks re-signing him because the last thing they need is another DH considering they have to leave the spot open for Arod w/ hopes he’ll not miss so much time on the DL. But, if he can get another contract he’s happy with, why not?

6. August 15th, 2011 | 7:40 pm

Rick Dempsey, Carlton Fisk, Bob Boone caught well into their 40′s. I think Posada feels insulted by the way the Yankees treated him. I believe he will try to get himself back into catching shape and see if he can get any takers.

7. Evan3457
      August 16th, 2011 | 1:37 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Rick Dempsey hit .211 after he turned 40, and was a terrific handler of pitchers. Bob Boone was considered one of the best defensive catchers of all time. Carlton Fisk put up OPS+ numbers of 136 and 134 when he was 41 and 42. None of these apply to Jorge.

8. cr1
      August 16th, 2011 | 11:59 am

If what Klapisch wrote about Jorge’s post-concussion tests is anything like true, I am hoping he never catches again. Enough damage already. I’m sure none of us want to see him drooling and stumbling around by age 50 like some over-concussed football player, right?