• Did Denbo Fix Jeter?

Posted by on August 16th, 2011 · Comments (6)

Via the Daily News -

When Derek Jeter went on the disabled list in June with a calf injury, he was hitting .260 with 20 RBI in 62 games. In the 33 games since he returned July 4, he’s batted .313 with 21 RBI and is hitting .356 this month. Much of his improvement is due to work he did at the club’s minor-league complex with Gary Denbo that made for some of the most interesting footage in the HBO documentary “Derek Jeter 3K.”

Denbo was the club’s roving hitting instructor when Jeter was a minor leaguer and the big league team’s hitting coach in 2001. “I’ve been working with him since I was 18,” Jeter said. “I didn’t want to be injured, but when it happens you hope it’s a blessing in disguise. . . . I did things I needed to work on away from the game. So it was beneficial to be able to work on them, to be able to work with him.”

Jeter said the time he spent in Tampa allowed him to focus on adjustments in his hitting. “A lot of times when you’re in the middle of the season there’s things you can’t work on because you have to play every day,” he said. “It was unfortunate to get hurt, but it was fortunate that I could spend that time working and getting something accomplished.”

Bottom line, in his last 154 PA, Jeter’s BA/OBA/SLG line is .326/.382/.457 – and that’s what we expect from him.

Hey, if Long can fix Granderson, why couldn’t Denbo fix Jeter?

Comments on Did Denbo Fix Jeter?

1. Corey Italiano
      August 16th, 2011 | 6:14 pm

Could just be a market correction

First 293 PA – .283 BABIP
      Last 154 PA – .377 BABIP

Season 447 PA – .314 BABIP
      Career 10995 PA – .354 BABIP

August 16th, 2011 | 6:20 pm

Either way, at least he’s fixed. (wait, that didn’t seem to come out right…)

:D

3. Evan3457
      August 16th, 2011 | 7:52 pm

It’s possible Denbo fixed Jeter’s swing and/or approach. I just hope he can maintain the way he’s hitting now for another 2 1/4 to 3 1/4 seasons.

4. August 16th, 2011 | 9:17 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      I could see that. But, then again, before Jeter was hitting slow rollers to the 3B and now he’s blasting XBH to RCF. It’s night and day.

5. BOHAN
      August 17th, 2011 | 2:14 am

Sometimes hearing same something from someone else in a different way can make a big difference… KLong might have been tellin Jeter the same basic concept as Denbo but maybe the way Denbo put it just made it click in Jeter’s head. And hasnt Denbo known Jeter since he was a pro? Who better to know Jeter’s swing?

6. #15
      August 17th, 2011 | 9:54 am

Steve L wrote…

“Jeter’s BA/OBA/SLG line is .326/.382/.457 – and that’s what we expect from him.”

Actually it’s way more than I’d have reasonably expected from him at this age. If he really can turn those numbers down the stretch, we’ll be very tough the rest of the way.

I saw the clip on HBO (very good show by the way); Denbo saw Jeter’s head drifting forward as he began his swing. In short, he was lunging. If that was all it was, I’m surprised it didn’t come into view earlier. That being said, a lot of hitting is mental and if Jeter’s confidence is up, that’s more than half of the battle.