When you consider that…
- A.J. Burnett sucks.
- Phil Hughes was a first-half bust.
- Derek Jeter looked very old before going on the D.L.
- Jorge Posada looks very old, period.
- A-Rod’s power was MIA and then he went MIA for six weeks.
- Nick Swisher hit like crap the first two months of the season.
- Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia have been two of the Yankees better pitchers this season.
- Mark Teixeira’s hitting two-fifty and that’s recently high for him.
- To date, the Yankees have gotten little from Joba Chamberlain & Rafael Soriano.
It’s really pretty damn impressive that the Yankees are in first place today with just 43 games to play.
And, it speaks volumes to the jobs done this season by CC Sabathia, Curtis Granderson, Ivan Nova, Robinson Cano, David Roberston and Brett Gardner. Without those six guys, there’s a great chance that the Yankees are not in first place today.