• A-Rod Booed In Scranton

Posted by on August 17th, 2011 · Comments (13)

Via the Star Ledger-

Boos were probably not what Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was expecting to hear tonight at PNC Field as he started his scheduled two-game rehabilitation stay with the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees.

He sometimes moved tentatively in the field at third base, and earned some negative feedback from the crowd after he misplayed two pop-ups in foul ground along the left-field line.

The first miscue came in the fourth inning after he chased the foul ball up the line but allowed it to drop with his back to home plate; he was not charged with an error.

Two innings later, Rodriguez misplayed another foul pop in the same general area after he over ran it and the ball dropped behind him.

Rodriguez moved without his usual fluidity on both plays, and each was followed by a smattering of boos.

The miscues provided a small indication of how Rodriguez’s knee was coming along as he rehabs his way back to join the Yankees since being placed on the disabled list on July 10 with a slightly torn meniscus in his right knee.

Rodriguez played six innings in the field tonight and had a single to right field in three plate appearances.

“I was a little tentative, a little hesitant,” Rodriguez said. “I think that’s something that comes with a little bit more time, a little bit more repetition. It’s only my third game. I had the same experience with my hip in 2009. Those last few hurdles are more mental than physical.”

What I don’t understand here is why Jesus Montero didn’t come to Alex’s defense and tell the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre fans that it’s wrong to boo A-Rod? He should have told them that it’s in the best interests of the team for them to support Rodriguez. Man, he’s a terrible leader for being silent on this matter.

Comments on A-Rod Booed In Scranton

1. redbug
      August 17th, 2011 | 8:34 am

I have no idea if the writer’s correct in saying Arod “moved without his usual fluidity on both plays”. He’s had trouble w/ pop-ups for a long time.

2. August 17th, 2011 | 9:40 am

@ redbug:

Aw, com’on. Give the guy a break! Do you have any idea how hard it is to track pop-ups when you have your head up your ass? :-)

3. throwstrikes
      August 17th, 2011 | 9:58 am

“Do you have any idea how hard it is to track pop-ups when you have your head up your ass?”

No. Tell us, since you seem to be in that position often.

4. Jim TreshFan
      August 17th, 2011 | 10:13 am

Infield pop-ups are difficult for A-Rod to field because he’s hit so few of them himself.

5. August 17th, 2011 | 10:20 am
    6. August 17th, 2011 | 10:22 am

Jim TreshFan wrote:

Mr. Ed had problems with pop-ups too. I think it’s a centaur thing more than the fact of how many pop-ups he hits.

7. Garcia
      August 17th, 2011 | 10:28 am

Not a big A-Rod fan, but I wouldn’t boo him if I were to see him play at Scranton. I don’t know what he’s done in the last 2 years that’s been so awful. Yeah he’s a bit of a mental case, but at this point he’s his own worse enemy. I don’t get as worked up about A-Rod as I used to. When he’s back in the lineup, helping the team, then that’s all that matters at this point.

Till he does something really stupid, which could very well be tomorrow, I don’t really pay him any more attention than any other Yankee player.

Steve – At some point you have to let it go, no?

8. August 17th, 2011 | 10:36 am

@ Garcia: When it’s over.

August 17th, 2011 | 11:04 am

Any notes on attendance?

10. throwstrikes
      August 17th, 2011 | 11:06 am

“I do not want to be the source of any irritation in your life. And, you have the power to put an end to any displeasure I may be causing you. This is why I ask you: Please stop visiting and reading this blog.”

No irritation or displeasure at all. I have gotten much enjoyment from reading and commenting on the obsession you continue to have with all things A-Rod.

You seem to get in a twist when people are as snarky to you as you are about others. If you dish expect to have it dished back.

11. throwstrikes
      August 17th, 2011 | 12:25 pm

@ Raf:

9000+

12. Evan3457
      August 17th, 2011 | 1:14 pm

So, let’s see if I get this straight.

A-Rod is worried about his knee, so he’s not moving full out on a couple of pop-ups, and we’re supposed to be approving of the crowd booing him for trying to re-hab the knee and get back and help the Yankees.

Interesting. I mean, if they want to boo, then fine, they paid their money, and A-Rod disappointed them. But I’m supposed to support short-sightedness?

Don’t think so.

13. cr1
      August 17th, 2011 | 2:22 pm

There is no more call for us to approve or disapprove the booing or cheering of ticket-holders at SWB than those at YS, or indeed at any ballpark. As long as all they wield is their voices, it’s all good.

Same with players. No need whatsoever for them to comment on the vocalizations of paying customers.